• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tuning Options?

Best Tuning Option?

• Total voters

pettey12

Feb 18, 2020
Truck Year
Just purchased a 2016 Eco, before even picking it up I had the deletes on order, my next step is the tuning! There are too many options and no one ever comes right out and sticks with one answer. Which is the best overall, and why? Cut the BS and give me some good information! :D

Ecodieselnoob

Feb 4, 2020
Truck Year
totally agree everyone has their own opinion about tuning, and its hard to get a good answer i guess to each his own.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
GDE and PPEI have been served cease and desist Orders.

You will need to call around.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
GDE was a fan favorite but as TC said, was forced closed. They are due to resume selling a CARB approved tune in the near future. Until then, it has been said the HD Diesel tune is closest to the original GDE tune. If I were in the market that's where my money would go.

Ecodieselnoob

Feb 4, 2020
Truck Year
what if you don't plan on doing a delete of any kind and just are doing an simple intake and just want a piggy back system like the banks derringer to improve throttle response and add a bit of HP and TQ is it that bad.

Last edited:

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Went with SKT based off of availability and ease of tuning when I want. That being said If anyone wants to give me tunes from other people to review I’d be more than willing 🙃

Matt13

Feb 10, 2020
Truck Year
HD Diesel has no stock so i went with SofaKings, Now they are two weeks back ordered as well tho.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
SFT

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just purchased a 2016 Eco, before even picking it up I had the deletes on order, my next step is the tuning! There are too many options and no one ever comes right out and sticks with one answer. Which is the best overall, and why? Cut the BS and give me some good information! :D

Most people only have purchased one tune so it is really hard to have an opinion on which one is best! I am super happy with my GDE but have nothing to actually compare it too. Maybe there is a better one? who knows.
I haven't read that anyone is "unhappy" with theirs.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have used both GDE and SFT. SFT tunes via the OBD2 port which I like. Plus their new handheld tuner houses the stock and other tunes. You have full control and can change tunes in 5 minutes. GDE type tunes require removing the ECU and returning to the tuner to make changes. Both tunes operated very well. The GDE tune has a plus in that it has much longer intervals between regens.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I think you mean the Canadian tuner who supposedly has the GDE tune has a flash tool.
GDE does not have a flash tool, they don't even have a tune at this time. Soon maybe.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I think you mean the Canadian tuner who supposedly has the GDE tune has a flash tool.
GDE does not have a flash tool, they don't even have a tune at this time. Soon maybe.
You clearly don't work for GDE and have no idea what you are talking about. GDE never stopped sales in the export market (outside the US). We have a flash tool option for the engine and the transmission on the ecodiesel. We also still have ecm swaps for folks that do not want a flash tool.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
You clearly don't work for GDE and have no idea what you are talking about. GDE never stopped sales in the export market (outside the US). We have a flash tool option for the engine and the transmission on the ecodiesel. We also still have ecm swaps for folks that do not want a flash tool.
Thanks, that's good to know. However, I do know what I'm talking about - you do not tune in the USA, thus for the poster's inquiry, you do not have a flash tool available.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I think there’s a lot of tension and frustration when it comes to comparing what tune to get and a lot of backlash from others when someone speaks their mind about the opinion of what tune is better. No matter what, the truck needs a tune to expect any sort of life span i believe. One person says x and the next will tell you z simply based off of what one they have because what they have is better than the tune they never tried. Some users have tried different tunes, some have tried 1 tune such as myself and some are stuck in the never ending circle of what tune to buy. Gde, SKT, and hd diesel have all seemed to turn good reviews and results. Ppie, if I’m not mistaken was never really a fan favorite from what I gathered in others comments when I was tune hunting. Choose a tune based off of what YOU think is best based off of what others have said and commented to be their experience. No one shoved SKT down my throat to purchase. I originally searched gde and was going to go with them but I put it off because I didn’t like the idea of changing out computers. By the time I decided to pull the trigger with them it was too late so I went with skt over hd because I could do it all with the few clicks of a button. Truck still regens, whatever. Truck still takes def. whatever. The tune makes the truck more responsive and got rid of my fire hazard. I’m happy. People have gde and love it. People put in HD’s tune and love it. Whatever ya go with should yield good results.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Tremper126,
Everything you said is right on. You mentioned DEF. With any of the tunes you can use distilled water instead of DEF. The only problem is when you go to a dealer and need to return to the stock tune, the distilled water will probably throw a code and may cause a problem with the dealer. I and others have drained the DEF tank, put in DEF and then went to the dealer.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Tremper126,
Everything you said is right on. You mentioned DEF. With any of the tunes you can use distilled water instead of DEF. The only problem is when you go to a dealer and need to return to the stock tune, the distilled water will probably throw a code and may cause a problem with the dealer. I and others have drained the DEF tank, put in DEF and then went to the dealer.

John, I believe You are good with distilled water (DW) (Any Concentration levels) Until 2017, The 2017+ has Urea sensor (In Tank), I have Not confirmed this on the Eco, it does on the 2500/3500, its trigger at 22%. 2013-16 Has No urea sensor, I generally ran My Eco (2015) and My Big Rams at 10/90 Problem free, in the winter I raise it to about 20/80 to lower the freeze point to 16-18F , 67/33 freezes at 12F. None the less My 2013 Sits outside from Nov-April and is only started and driven around when conditions Merit, It sits for Days So I use solar maintainer so the Batteries are not Killed due to discharging

Most 2017+ Owners that Mix DW do at this combination 2.5 Gallons DEF (67/33) to 1 Gallon DW. error freemaintainer Solar.jpg

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
TC,
Thanks.
I've been using your formula ever since you posted it on this forum. I was using 100%distilleduntilI read your data. I've decided on the 2.5/1 ratio as is very safe. I'm ordering a new 3500 HO Cummins, can I use that formula there also?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, I'm working on Bypass Module to safe guard the Concentration levels, I was going to do Testing for The NOx levels. Now My time is being consumed in a Family Court Battle. I under estimated the court and got a good kick in the Balls, it was a BIG Mistake I'm NOT going to make twice.

When I did My testing Back in 2016 it was not that big of deal (I thought) The NOx PPM did not vary much until under extreme load. IMO , API Cert is way off.
It started many heated discussions , Lately the Moderation at the TDR1 is extremely unfriendly to anyone that challenges the establishment, Kinda Said I was a member for 17 Years and it the (Current) management of that Site that has convince the Patton Family that its not in its best interest to have lively discussion on Matters.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That's a bummer. You have had your share of it - hopefully, 2020 will be better for you.
I forgot to add the new Cummins will not be tuned. That's why I was asking if 2.5/1 is ok.