• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best Diesel Fuel? And Additive??

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
So in the gasoline world Chevron has it's Techron, Shell has V-Power, and Union 76, Mobil, etc. all claim that they have the best additive to keep our fuel systems and combustion chambers clean, and it appears that some formulations work better than others. So since this will be my first diesel (it's on order) I would like to know the following, based upon experience of past diesel owners:

Is there a preference to who makes the best diesel fuel and why? Or is it all the same since it's not as refined as gasoline, so therefore I can purchase the cheapest one?

Is there an additive that you use on a regular basis and why? And would this or could this void the warranty?

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts diesel owners!

DieselDude

Oct 9, 2013
No additive should void the warranty. I haven't used one yet, but the power service at Walmart is popular, Stanadyne diesel is propular as well for the other big diesels. I might go for the Stanadyne first, but it's impossible to find in the stores.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've owned a diesel since 06 an never could tell much difference between using one or not. I will say for the colder climates anti gel additives are most definitely needed, frozen fuel is never good.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
What about the diesel fuel? Don't know what's in your area, but do you a big oil company like Chevron, Shell or Mobil? Or do you just go to your local gas station that's the cheapest, and if so does it make for any problems with the engine?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
What about the diesel fuel? Don't know what's in your area, but do you a big oil company like Chevron, Shell or Mobil? Or do you just go to your local gas station that's the cheapest, and if so does it make for any problems with the engine?

I stay away from small stations. Always try to buy from a station that moves A LOT of diesel, like a truck stop or high traffic areas.. you'll know it's fresh that way and not getting fuel from the bottom of the tank.

No problems of 15 years owning diesels.

cabr

Jul 25, 2015
Truck Year
So in the gasoline world Chevron has it's Techron, Shell has V-Power, and Union 76, Mobil, etc. all claim that they have the best additive to keep our fuel systems and combustion chambers clean, and it appears that some formulations work better than others. So since this will be my first diesel (it's on order) I would like to know the following, based upon experience of past diesel owners:

Is there a preference to who makes the best diesel fuel and why? Or is it all the same since it's not as refined as gasoline, so therefore I can purchase the cheapest one?

Is there an additive that you use on a regular basis and why? And would this or could this void the warranty?

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts diesel owners!
Sorry this may be irrelevant but in Canada Mohawk or husky always gets our sport wagon tdi around 50 kilometers more per tank but if i were down south i would be looking for an exxon only because as seen in my previous posts...Exxon owns all the additives.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I suspect the big brands add okay diesel fuel additives. However the smaller brands, (often have lower fuel prices), it may help occasionally. I plan on picking up one bottle, just in case, I need anti-gel. May try a test run, to see if any noticeable difference. I suspect, if I do see a difference, then I buying bad/old/untreated diesel fuel. Unfortunately, here in Calgary, no info is posted, other than sulphur content. The attendants don't even now the Cetane ratings.

Here a Canadian price list of Opti-Lub additives.

Attachments

• Canadian Retail Pricing.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 4

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I would have no idea what cetane ratings are either but I run almost strictly Holiday station stores fuel and I haven't had any issues; 90% of my lifetime fill ups are at my local Holiday. Run a bottle of Lucas in every tank, Holiday blends and advertises winter temp ratings so I haven't used any of the 911 I bought though the weather has been very warm thus far this winter.

Mpg's are pretty consistent and otherwise my primary fuel source would be cenex but that's still maybe 5 tanks lifetime?

Anyways when I changed my fuel filter before winter around 15k miles I could still see clean filter material and it was no comparison to Shawn's filters covered in the black carbons?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I'm approaching 14000 KM. Never used any fuel additives yet.

I have filled up with Centex, Gas Plus. I use the iPhone Gas buddy app. When the big brands, such as Esso, Shell are priced similar, I use their fuel first.

I haven't even check my fuel filter yet. Only oil and filter change 2x so far at dealer. According to dealer, too soon to check fuel filter.

When I did my oil change, they wanted to charge me 60.00 just for fuel additives. No way I said... I get my own.... Greedy Money grabbers...

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You have drained your fuel filter though haven't you?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer should be draining the diesel fuel filter every oil change. That should be a courtesy service. Unless they want their customer to crawl under in their suits on the street. A good way to ruin the pavement. Don't think the city will be happy or your paved driveway.
It my understanding there is an Evic message warning too.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I have only put 4000 miles on my truck since I bought it is Sept. 2015. Costco just added diesel to their fuel station here in my town so I have been fueling up there.
Does anybody run the B20? I know where to get it around here but I haven't tried it yet.
I will think about fuel additive after my first oil change, see what the service department at my dealer says

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I haven't added any fuel additive. During winter season, the oil company add anti-gel/freezing to their product according to my inquiry from them. Don't think, they add Cetane booster. My fuel economy is great as is. I usually buy from the cheapest service station using the GasBuddy app.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I notice, Shell has two diesel pumps, one that is regular prices (it contains anti-gel) and for additional 8 cent per litre, they added cetane booster and some other stuff.

I haven't had no issue so far, so I keep using the best price available. I'm hitting 18K so far. All is well.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I notice, Shell has two diesel pumps, one that is regular prices (it contains anti-gel) and for additional 8 cent per litre, they added cetane booster and some other stuff.

I haven't had no issue so far, so I keep using the best price available. I'm hitting 18K so far. All is well.

I don't think we have that option anywhere here in TN. I've never seen one at least.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
You are right, I took a look at their map and only in Canada.

Here the link and info about it...

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/commercial-fuels/diesel-fuels.html

It is my understanding, that all oil companies add additives, anti-gel, water built up, but I think, Cetane booster are extra, like shell. I haven't tried it, but I should give it a shot at least once or once in awhile.

I dug a bit further and found, shell in US has something similar, but different name. Located in some area, such as:

Shell Diesel FiT is currently being offered at approximately 95 locations in the Seattle, Washington market. Plans for expanding this offering will be assessed at the conclusion of our market test

http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-diesel-fit.html

With continuous use, the exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula provides the following benefits:

• Carbon Deposit Build-Up: Fuel injectors deposits can reduce combustion efficiency, which can increase fuel consumption. The exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula protects against deposit build-up to help maintain proper injector fuel flow and spray pattern and provide designed power and performance.
  • Anti-Corrosion: Use of diesel meeting minimum government quality standards can result in corrosion of vital engine parts such as the fuel pump. Shell Diesel FiT contains enhanced corrosion inhibitors to help prevent fuel system corrosion to protect your investment.
  • Anti-Wear: Shell Diesel FiT is formulated to help provide additional anti-wear protection for your diesel engine exceeding minimum government quality standards to help protect your investment.
  • Anti-Gelling: In severe winter conditions, diesel meeting minimum government standards can “gel” resulting in the inability to start the vehicle or reduce diesel engine performance. During winter, in select cold weather markets, Shell Diesel FiT contains anti-gelling agents for enhanced cold weather performance. Look for the "Special winterized anti-gel formula" label on the dispenser.
  • Water Management: Shell Diesel FiT is specially formulated to separate water from fuel and assist in water removal from fuel storage tanks to help provide consumers with dry fuel.
  • Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Economy & CO2 Savings: Based on extensive tests, Shell Diesel FiT achieved a 1.3% mpg saving for heavy-duty trucks in long-haul service and an impressive 4.8% mpg saving for heavy duty trucks in more severe stop and go city conditions, compared to regular diesel meeting only minimum government standards.

Shell has several video, it a must see, it explains a lot.

Engine Power & Perfermance

Rust Protection

Gelling

Water Separation Dry Fuel

Fuel Economy

Anti Wear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdgWd_3SRAo

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You are right, I took a look at their map and only in Canada.

Here the link and info about it...

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-services/solutions-for-businesses/commercial-fuels/diesel-fuels.html

It is my understanding, that all oil companies add additives, anti-gel, water built up, but I think, Cetane booster are extra, like shell. I haven't tried it, but I should give it a shot at least once or once in awhile.

I dug a bit further and found, shell in US has something similar, but different name. Located in some area, such as:

Shell Diesel FiT is currently being offered at approximately 95 locations in the Seattle, Washington market. Plans for expanding this offering will be assessed at the conclusion of our market test

http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-fuels/shell-diesel-fit.html

With continuous use, the exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula provides the following benefits:

• Carbon Deposit Build-Up: Fuel injectors deposits can reduce combustion efficiency, which can increase fuel consumption. The exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula protects against deposit build-up to help maintain proper injector fuel flow and spray pattern and provide designed power and performance.
  • Anti-Corrosion: Use of diesel meeting minimum government quality standards can result in corrosion of vital engine parts such as the fuel pump. Shell Diesel FiT contains enhanced corrosion inhibitors to help prevent fuel system corrosion to protect your investment.
  • Anti-Wear: Shell Diesel FiT is formulated to help provide additional anti-wear protection for your diesel engine exceeding minimum government quality standards to help protect your investment.
  • Anti-Gelling: In severe winter conditions, diesel meeting minimum government standards can “gel” resulting in the inability to start the vehicle or reduce diesel engine performance. During winter, in select cold weather markets, Shell Diesel FiT contains anti-gelling agents for enhanced cold weather performance. Look for the "Special winterized anti-gel formula" label on the dispenser.
  • Water Management: Shell Diesel FiT is specially formulated to separate water from fuel and assist in water removal from fuel storage tanks to help provide consumers with dry fuel.
  • Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Economy & CO2 Savings: Based on extensive tests, Shell Diesel FiT achieved a 1.3% mpg saving for heavy-duty trucks in long-haul service and an impressive 4.8% mpg saving for heavy duty trucks in more severe stop and go city conditions, compared to regular diesel meeting only minimum government standards.

Shell has several video, it a must see, it explains a lot.

Engine Power & Perfermance

Rust Protection

Gelling

Water Separation Dry Fuel

Fuel Economy

Anti Wear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdgWd_3SRAo

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Oooops, sorry about the double post. Seiko, thanks for the info. I live down south of you in Lacey and I think I may try a tank of that if I can get it around here!