• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

To delete or not delete. That is the question

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
I deleted soon after I saw what was going back into engine via the EGR tube .....my oil still looks like new after 5000 kms and the truck is just so much more enjoyable to drive.....like day and night difference......more power, better mpg's, no more CEL's, no DEF to deal with and I'm sure there will be more added to this. I am fully deleted with an SFT Stage 2 tune with transmission tune as well but was really satisfied with the Stage 1 as well

Cheers!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It is really not a question, delete if you can!
The merits of just turning off the EGR vs. physically removing the parts are debatable. You will find countless threads and hours of scintillating reading under the Ecodiesel Performance section!
I do not think you will find anyone who regrets it.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Truck value drops about $5000 as a very expensive system is being removed from vehicle and this negatively affects resale value. Service is harder to get done as you cannot take it to a dealer for the most part. Can only private sale the vehicle as it is illegal for a dealer to sell a deleted truck. There is no gain in performance or fuel economy by deleting vs. a good emission compliant tune. It will be loader and stink more.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Truck value drops about $5000 as a very expensive system is being removed from vehicle and this negatively affects resale value. Service is harder to get done as you cannot take it to a dealer for the most part. Can only private sale the vehicle as it is illegal for a dealer to sell a deleted truck. There is no gain in performance or fuel economy by deleting vs. a good emission compliant tune. It will be loader and stink more.

GDE, when will this be available, these owners are pleading for Help. At this time its delete or risk wallet suck up.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
GDE, when will this be available, these owners are pleading for Help. At this time its delete or risk wallet suck up.

We just finished the emission certification testing on ecodiesel yesterday. We will have an engine/trans tune combo with OBD flash tool for install available in mid-June. 49-state legal at the moment. CA and CARB have more paperwork and they will be later in the summer.

Cj60

May 8, 2020
Truck Year
We just finished the emission certification testing on ecodiesel yesterday. We will have an engine/trans tune combo with OBD flash tool for install available in mid-June. 49-state legal at the moment. CA and CARB have more paperwork and they will be later in the summer.
Since I probably can't "delete" due to my spinal issues, can I just do your tune when available and expect a truck that will last like older diesels do? I'm happy enough with my stock performance and mpg's, I'm just very nervous about it getting so clogged up with the EGR "Tar" that it will either die, catch fire, or both...

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
2015 3.0 liter and at 122,000 +- miles did a full delete. I haven't been following this to close lately, but I did today. I did the full delete early 2019 and before I was done I had about 2 grand+ into it. It's a hassle, but I was faced with an out of warranty truck, Def problems, PF and a leaking EGR. There was no sign of a warranty at the time, and the delete was cheaper then the dealer fix. I did the variable tune and that was a waste of money for my situation. I pull to big of load, have to many big hills and in the summer you have cooling troubles of both water and oil when you hit 90+ degrees F. (I still blow and wash out the radiator) That is my take on the higher HP, over stock horsepower. Its not the same for everybody. If the factory fix had been in place at the time I would have waited and took the money. The learning curve to do this was pretty steep at the time, I had a lot of advice from the tuner but no real experience doing the full delete, some of it, I had to do by trial and error.

But If you are inclined, and or/out of warranty, the full delete is the way to go, mileage went up 2.5 mpg, engine is cleaner inside. cleaner oil etc. I would recommend it to anybody, because it made a good pickup great and all my problems went away. I am at 136,000 miles at present. I retired and don't drive as much. As I understand it, finding a tuner that will help you with the full delete, is somewhat of a difficulty now.

What is irritating, is when i removed the EGR, it was just a bolt on piece, or for lack of a better explanation, It's almost like an after thought for the addition of the EGR. Can you imagine, that some regions in the world, VM Moturi dosen't even mount the EGR, Def, CC and PF on this engine!!!! I would love to have one of those engines to swap out. If anybody has any ideas on where to find one, please speak up.

malquid

Feb 6, 2021
Truck Year
does this come with the delete of egr and scr and def??

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
No, in the USA it is an emission intact tune that is 49 state legal. The truck maintains all emission equipment and functions within the parameters set forth by the EPA.

Steviegiuce5

May 17, 2021
Truck Year

So I know deleting and tuning people do for all different reasons. Some because they like the sound of the turbo spool and a str8 pipe so you can actually hear your exhaust. Others like to roll coal( not my thing, wastes fuel and horrible for the environment). And I know some people like myself want to do a delete and tune because no matter how well you take care your trucks with the best oil, fuel, fuel additives stuff will go wrong with major emissions system parts at one point or another and they are all very expensive fixes! So I guess my question is what does your good emissions compliant tune doand does it have any benefits for the truck with reliability, prolonging engine life( I don’t see how any engine life can be prolonged with the EGR active putting all that soot into the motor oil), and with reliability/ prolonging life of dpf filter?

malquid

Feb 6, 2021
Truck Year
So I know deleting and tuning people do for all different reasons. Some because they like the sound of the turbo spool and a str8 pipe so you can actually hear your exhaust. Others like to roll coal( not my thing, wastes fuel and horrible for the environment). And I know some people like myself want to do a delete and tune because no matter how well you take care your trucks with the best oil, fuel, fuel additives stuff will go wrong with major emissions system parts at one point or another and they are all very expensive fixes! So I guess my question is what does your good emissions compliant tune doand does it have any benefits for the truck with reliability, prolonging engine life( I don’t see how any engine life can be prolonged with the EGR active putting all that soot into the motor oil), and with reliability/ prolonging life of dpf filter?
Good synopsis. K
I think you answered your own question. I deleted fully because I don’t want the egr ruining the engine, I didn’t want to waste fuel regening and it runs better.
Solving the emissions moral dilemma was easy, For me it came down to a 5 mpg improvement. The extra emissions spewed, outweighs burning 5 more mpg. It’s a net nuetral if not better.
Kinda stupid not deleting, when you look at it like that.
The EGR delete was a bonus.
I don’t care about the law or mandates they come up with. These are the same idiots that made gas cans impossible to use. You have-to delete those too!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The problem with VM 3.0 AECD's are over engineered and under developed, Thiers's Millions of COC engine's over 500K miles with little to NO maintenance with AECD's fully intact, that get close to Non-commissioned engines MPG, The EPA is not the problem concerning the VM 3.0, its VM motori relationship with Fiat. This engine should have been tabled for the Violations it was produce with, instead more manipulating that put it in a quagmire of problem's that never ends for many 3.0 Owners.

malquid

Feb 6, 2021
Truck Year
The problem with VM 3.0 AECD's are over engineered and under developed, Thiers's Millions of COC engine's over 500K miles with little to NO maintenance with AECD's fully intact, that get close to Non-commissioned engines MPG, The EPA is not the problem concerning the VM 3.0, its VM motori relationship with Fiat. This engine should have been tabled for the Violations it was produce with, instead more manipulating that put it in a quagmire of problem's that never ends for many 3.0 Owners.
I respectfully disagree with part about about the EPA not being the problem. It’s at least 80% of the problem as with the emissions equipment. If you take all emission related problems away, you are left with a relatively rare but mysterious bottom end problem where this engine eats mains. FCA needs to explain that. Most people will be just fine with a delete.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I do recognize the standard that the EPA has imposed as burdensome and NOT required or helping. Like NOx levels at near 0 100% of operation, or soot levels Near 0.

FCA not the problem its Fiat VM motori.