• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil change not taking 10.5 quarts

Jason Kahn

Apr 1, 2016
Truck Year
I have 2015 RAM 1500 3.0 Ecodiesel.
I performed my first oil change at 7500 miles.
I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP synthetic motor oil kit.
I drained the oil from the oil pan, and replaced the oil filter.
But noticed when draining the oil into the catch pan, it didn't look like 10.5 quarts.
So when pouring the new oil in I was very cautious in not over filling.
I put 9 quarts in and stopped. Started the truck, rolled it off the ramps, and waited for the oil level to stabilize.
After 5 minutes, I checked the oil level.
It was over the full line.
I started the truck again and let run for 5 minutes, shut the truck off, and again let it stabilize for 5 minutes.
Again it was over the full mark.
I pulled the drain plug to drain the oil till it was at the full mark.
I have driven the truck now for 2000 miles checking the oil level every day.
Still at the full mark.
My question is, why did it only take less than 9 quarts to fill during an oil change, instead of the 10.5 quarts?
My only theory is maybe the oil cooler holds 1.5 quarts.
Do I need to drain the oil cooler too?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have 2015 RAM 1500 3.0 Ecodiesel.
I performed my first oil change at 7500 miles.
I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP synthetic motor oil kit.
I drained the oil from the oil pan, and replaced the oil filter.
But noticed when draining the oil into the catch pan, it didn't look like 10.5 quarts.
So when pouring the new oil in I was very cautious in not over filling.
I put 9 quarts in and stopped. Started the truck, rolled it off the ramps, and waited for the oil level to stabilize.
After 5 minutes, I checked the oil level.
It was over the full line.
I started the truck again and let run for 5 minutes, shut the truck off, and again let it stabilize for 5 minutes.
Again it was over the full mark.
I pulled the drain plug to drain the oil till it was at the full mark.
I have driven the truck now for 2000 miles checking the oil level every day.
Still at the full mark.
My question is, why did it only take less than 9 quarts to fill during an oil change, instead of the 10.5 quarts?
My only theory is maybe the oil cooler holds 1.5 quarts.
Do I need to drain the oil cooler too?
Jason,
I have yet to change my oil but I did watch an uTube video on "how to". It showed the oil drained and cautioned to wait longer (5-15 minutes I think) as the upper area oil is slow to drain. Sure enough, after the wait more oil came pouring out.

Hope this helps

John

Nov 13, 2015
IMO, if you drain the oil completely and change the oil filter, put 10 or 10.5 quarts back in regardless of what you think the dipstick shows.

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
It may be that up on ramps did not drain all oil out. I think it may have to be level or you will not have full drain. Did you measure how much came out?

Jason Kahn

Apr 1, 2016
Truck Year
No I did not measure the oil that came out. I just know 9 quarts was to much putting back in.
John J., next time I will let drain for 15 minutes to see if more comes out.

John, I am not filling it more than the dip stick shows. I just think I didn't get all the oil out.

I just didn't know if I need to drain the oil cooler too.

John

Nov 13, 2015
The engine and filter housing drain in less than 15 minutes on my truck. Was the truck elevated on ramps?

Jason Kahn

Apr 1, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, while I was draining the oil, the truck was on ramps.
I can't fit under the truck to access the drain plug, unless it's on ramps.
But after draining, and placing 9 quarts in, I pulled it off the ramps, then checked the oil level.

Buggy-Bumpers

Feb 21, 2016
Truck Year
Try a top down oil change, that way you don't have to climb under the truck anyway. When in doubt, take it to the Sealer Dealer and have them change it. Make sure you stay and watch and see just how long it take them and how much oil comes out.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I pull the front tires up on 2 flat landscape bricks (half thick concrete block). Gives just enough clearance for me to slide under truck, yet it's not elevated too much. Quick & easy 'lift' solution.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I pull the front tires up on 2 flat landscape bricks (half thick concrete block). Gives just enough clearance for me to slide under truck, yet it's not elevated too much. Quick & easy 'lift' solution.

Thats a good idea...

Jason Kahn

Apr 1, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you everyone for your posts.
I will try this the next time and post the results.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I guess I don't use ramps because I have factory air I just put it in offroad2 and slide underneath on a creeper. But the drain is on the rear of the oil pan so elevation sure as hell isn't going to hold a quart and a half of oil.

And do not put 10-10.5 in regardless. Too much oil ruins engines.

My personal recommendation? Make sure your truck is up to temp, oil is good and hot and it'll all drain out. But still drain for a good 10min. I do a fuel filter drain or change during my oil change and it always takes 10+. Hell I've forgot to swap the filter until after I filled it with clean oil and it still was good with 10 and 1/3-1/2

John

Nov 13, 2015
I guess I don't use ramps because I have factory air I just put it in offroad2 and slide underneath on a creeper. But the drain is on the rear of the oil pan so elevation sure as hell isn't going to hold a quart and a half of oil.

And do not put 10-10.5 in regardless. Too much oil ruins engines.

My personal recommendation? Make sure your truck is up to temp, oil is good and hot and it'll all drain out. But still drain for a good 10min. I do a fuel filter drain or change during my oil change and it always takes 10+. Hell I've forgot to swap the filter until after I filled it with clean oil and it still was good with 10 and 1/3-1/2

You might want to consider using jack stands. Remember the guy who went under his truck while in off-road 2 and the air suspension leaked-down. I don't think he was hurt too bad, but his pride sure suffered some.

I stand by my comment "if you drain the oil completely and change the oil filter, put 10 or 10.5 quarts back in regardless of what you think the dipstick shows." Remember the oil capacity is 10.5 quarts and it should never be more than 1/2 to 1 quart low.or you risk damage to the engine.

Also the dipstick on the ecodiesel doesn't always offer the most reliable reading.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I never heard anything about a guy having his truck lowered on him but I go under the front not under the running board. I can fit in normal it just makes it roomy in offroad.

Though that would suck.

Consider running an engine with too much oil can do as much damage as running it with too little is all. If it's an issue ask your dealer for a new dipstick to cross reference your reading

John

Nov 13, 2015
10.5 quarts is not too much oil. It's the required amount. What more can I say?

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
10.5 quarts is not too much oil. It's the required amount. What more can I say?

It is the required amount, but if for some reason u don't keep up with how much u take out, say it only drains out 9/9.5 quarts for some reason and u put 10/10.5 in. Then you may have 11/11.5 in it and that's too much. I'm pretty sure that's what "jdn" is talking about.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Correct

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
Another possibility, and I will not say how I know this, you can get Mobil1 euro in one litter bottles and 10 and a half bottles is 11 quarts.