• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Total Load Control Airbags

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I wanted to install bags but I did not want to compromise my cushy ride since I tow only a dozen times a year and my truck is mostly a commuter. I selected the Total Load Control bags because all the Youtube videos as well as the advertizing on their page claimed that they only connected one side and therefore could be deflated "out of the way" so as not to affect your factory suspension.

Just to clarify, the latest Ram 1500 TLC bags connect top and bottom which is different than the way they are advertised and seen in various Youtube videos.

Apparently the coil springs were causing the bags to slap the mounting plate when under inflated (to maintain original ride) and required too much air pressure with no load to prevent it from happening so they added a bolt to the bottom plate.

Install took about an hour and a half...no jacks or anything, just laid under the truck and did it. The hardest and most time consuming part was getting the nut and washer on the driver's side bottom plate to axle bolt because the bar was in the way. I finally taped the washer and nut to my index finger and while in a contorted position was able to start the bolt. Once I got then it went quick.

Utilizing jack stands to raise the body and let the suspension droop was not needed and while it may have helped a little, short of having the truck on a lift so that I could take advantage of that added space I did not see any advantage in doing that. There is plenty of room without raising the frame.

I have just about 5lbs in the bags now but will be towing the day after tomorrow and will post an update after that..

I already had a hole in the license plate from a backup camera on my previous vehicle so I used that. I considered using the license plate screw hole but that would have meant chiseling off the molded backside of that area which has a bunch of material for the screw to grab. Where I drilled was just the thickness of the plastic bumper trim.

By the way, the underside of my truck is all black because I had black wax/oil undercoating applied. Looks nice and should protect well but I got it all over me during the install ;)

valve.jpg

tlc_pass.jpg

TLC_driver.jpg

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I've towed my camper once two weeks ago without them, and will be towing tomorrow with. Big difference in route though so I probably won't be able to compare. Tomorrow is all highway and the last trip was all bumpy, winding back roads.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
OI hooked up the trailer and inflated the bags to return the truck to its stock rake as it had settled about 1.5" with the trailer connected.. I set off on a short 38 mile tow to the campsite ( 60% city). 17mpg and a smooth ride but honestly I did not notice any difference using the bags vs towing without a few weeks ago.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
OI hooked up the trailer and inflated the bags to return the truck to its stock rake as it had settled about 1.5" with the trailer connected.. I set off on a short 38 mile tow to the campsite ( 60% city). 17mpg and a smooth ride but honestly I did not notice any difference using the bags vs towing without a few weeks ago.

You mention this was a new route? Maybe running the same route as stock will help you determine if there is any noticeable difference.

Keep us posted!

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
Actually I think that my current trailer has a low enough tongue weight that the Ram pulls it fine without the bags. I'm considering a heavier trailer so maybe they will make more of a noticeable difference there.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
No real update. I haven't towed again since the last time and we were too late in making reservations so I'm not going out again until the 8th of July Have a 2.5 hour tow up north for a weekend of shooting, bourbon and cigars ;)

I did have a leaky valve stem so I replaced the valve. I then put 5lbs of pressure in them and it leaked out over the course of a few days...haven't had time to get under there with soapy water and troubleshoot.

I did buy this compressor and this power adapter and they work great.

Still no response from the manufacturer to my multiple queries as to the design change.....not a good sign

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CheifG

Sep 27, 2013
If it continues to leak, hopefully they will not give you a hard time on a replacement bag.