• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

18 RAM ecodiesel new lift pump and filter won't start

EcoDieselDilbeck

Dec 5, 2020
Truck Year
I need help. I've tried everything. Long story short i installed a new lift pump in the tank about 3 months ago and it failed already. So i installed a new one once again and installed a new fuel filter the old one was already black and just down right dirty. Well went to prime it and accidently turned key all the way immediately shut the key off and then continued to prime it like usual. Well i can't get it to run. I could go start it right now after about 5 min of trying and it would run for as long as you want it and then as soon as you turn it off. Nothing it will tip start 20 seconds and never fire off again until hours later randomly. I checked and cleaned the FCA on the injection pump, and I'm getting fuel all the way to the pump. I also don't think it's the hpfp just cause when it runs it doesn't skip a beat. Full power and everything no studders. I threw a p0191 and another was something to do with the fuel circuit system or something. But what could it be i can't keep messing with this thing

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
When all else fails, disconnect the battery and set it set for 10 mins or so. Might be a reset issue. Good Luck

EcoDieselDilbeck

Dec 5, 2020
Truck Year
Finally figured it out. Ended up being my last step replacing the fuel pressure regulator sensor on the front of the right side fuel rail. Did it easily with a thin wrench set bought from harbor freight years ago. Cause incase you didnt know Ram has a special tool designed just to remove and install this sensor which has a hole to put your ratchet in when replacing cause you tighten to 44ft lbs back off 90 degrees, then re torque to 59ft lbs. But anyways found all that out by basically going through the entire fuel system from tank to fuel rail. If anyone ever needs help based off my first post just message me here or privately and i can walk you basically through any of the fuel system, lift pump replacement, rear differential rebuilt carrier bearing failed prematurely, egr crossover tube cleaning, FCA cleaning, and more. User of alfaobd going on 5 years, not to many things i cant tell you about it ive tried just about all of it. Anyways there's my spill later yall!

dantheman669

Jun 11, 2022
Truck Year
Finally figured it out. Ended up being my last step replacing the fuel pressure regulator sensor on the front of the right side fuel rail. Did it easily with a thin wrench set bought from harbor freight years ago. Cause incase you didnt know Ram has a special tool designed just to remove and install this sensor which has a hole to put your ratchet in when replacing cause you tighten to 44ft lbs back off 90 degrees, then re torque to 59ft lbs. But anyways found all that out by basically going through the entire fuel system from tank to fuel rail. If anyone ever needs help based off my first post just message me here or privately and i can walk you basically through any of the fuel system, lift pump replacement, rear differential rebuilt carrier bearing failed prematurely, egr crossover tube cleaning, FCA cleaning, and more. User of alfaobd going on 5 years, not to many things i cant tell you about it ive tried just about all of it. Anyways there's my spill later yall!
What's involved in the FCA cleaning? I purchased the AlfaOBD app and the OBDLink MX+. I have the P0191 code as well. Was going to replace the fuel pressure sensor and see if that fixes it. I have the recall on the hpfp as well. No clue when it will get replaced since no dealership in my area has the replacement parts. Thanks in advance.

EcoDieselDilbeck

Dec 5, 2020
Truck Year
What's involved in the FCA cleaning? I purchased the AlfaOBD app and the OBDLink MX+. I have the P0191 code as well. Was going to replace the fuel pressure sensor and see if that fixes it. I have the recall on the hpfp as well. No clue when it will get replaced since no dealership in my area has the replacement parts. Thanks in advance.

EcoDieselDilbeck

Dec 5, 2020
Truck Year
Oh ya I've been on a wait list for 2 years now for my pump. Thank God it's held in there strong. The FCA isn't bad pull off the 4 screws holding down the metal plate protecting the cp4 pump. Then undo 2 quick connect fuel lines then you can turn them upward to the hood that way you don't have to remove the other end that doesn't have a quick connect. Then undo the FCA pigtail and clean the entire area around the solenoid. It will have 2 t25 bolts holding it down back em out and pull it straight out. At that moment you'll be able to see if you're screwed or not. Mine had a bunch of little dirt in it. But if you're pump is the reason you'll know cause when you pull that solenoid out it fits into a bowl basically shinny aluminum but if there's a bunch of metal flakes in there you toast the pump is already in the process of failing and pushing all the metal through your fuel system which will be covered by warranty but from what I've seen most people are getting their trucks lemon lawed back from the wait times or you can contact Chrysler and see if they will cover your payments until they fix it. But anyways with the solenoid it will look weird it's got screens around the base of it and you'll have any junk in your fuel system stuck to it and in that cup. Vacuum the cup on the pump out don't force it in the pump with air. Then the solenoid i put diesel in a good squirt bottle and blasted the screen till it was all clean. And put it all back together. And if it's working when you remove it there should be diesel in the cup on the pump if it's dry the FCA is bad. If it's good then you'll have to replace the fuel pressure regulator like i just did on the front of the right side fuel rail. And i can tell you that process if you need me to. It's pretty simple if your some what mechanicly inclined if you don't know how to work on stuff don't do any of what i said cause litterally any dirt or anything falls into the pump it's in there and she's done

architectkv

Mar 8, 2024
Truck Year
I need help. I've tried everything. Long story short i installed a new lift pump in the tank about 3 months ago and it failed already. So i installed a new one once again and installed a new fuel filter the old one was already black and just down right dirty. Well went to prime it and accidently turned key all the way immediately shut the key off and then continued to prime it like usual. Well i can't get it to run. I could go start it right now after about 5 min of trying and it would run for as long as you want it and then as soon as you turn it off. Nothing it will tip start 20 seconds and never fire off again until hours later randomly. I checked and cleaned the FCA on the injection pump, and I'm getting fuel all the way to the pump. I also don't think it's the hpfp just cause when it runs it doesn't skip a beat. Full power and everything no studders. I threw a p0191 and another was something to do with the fuel circuit system or something. But what could it be i can't keep messing with this thing
I just replaced my fuel lift pump and filter. Cranks but wont start after priming. It will fire if i spray starting fluid in intake but only then.

architectkv

Mar 8, 2024
Truck Year
No I havent. I was able to get it started today using starter fluid but I cant get it to stay running.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
The relay is in the underhood fuse block. Should be inexpensive at a parts store and take seconds to change. Those seem to be notorious for failing. Seems like that would cause the symptoms you described.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Just looked on my truck (2015) and I think it's either K9 or K13 for the fuel pump relay. One says fuel heater the other says frame/fuel heater.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Only other thing I can think of is to check continuity of wires and a visual for rub thru on the harness outer wrap. I know, a huge hemorrhoid, but I've seen others on various forums have issues with this.