• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 EcoD with problems as AEM

Wshaneb

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
I am having similar problems after the Aem tune. Getting codes PO299 and PO2459 and now particulate filter is 100% and will not Regen. Dealer is backed up till September 9th. I took the money but now I think some of it will go for a tune once the dealer is done with it. I really wish I knew more about these tunes.
I also had CODE FIX and now truck is not regening...Also it is not resopnsive....I don't believe $3075 is going to be near what we are going to experance in consumer loss$$$$ I have not received settelment yet. Nore have I agreed...we are getting cheated!!!!! I just want what I paid for or my $$$$ back!

John

Nov 13, 2015
You get an extended warranty for at least 4yrs./48,000 miles on anything related to the AEM.

Wshaneb

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
You get an extended warranty for at least 4yrs./48,000 miles on anything related to the AEM.
I know that......So they all ready expect breakdowns! Is that a fix. !!!? I can feel much better when it brakes down!? Maybe when I am on a road trip. Tow Bill's, rental, down time
..ect. We are not getting what we paid for!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Breaking down on a trip would suck real bad especially if driving to Mexico.

Ccbigelow3

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Good afternoon everyone. Long time reader here. I really enjoy reading everyone’s inputs.

Last week I bit the bullet and had my 2016 EcoD flashed with the AEM update. I thought it was a good idea due to the added 48000 miles of warranty on certain parts. I feel like I have been one of the fortunate owners, as I have 118,000 miles on my truck with zero problems and zero complaints.... Until now...

Currently my truck is back in the shop for the 3rd time in two weeks. First was a DPF sensor, then the PCN or PCM. Latest problem is due to low boost pressure and a CEL stating service electronic throttle.

Just wanted to get anyone’s feedback that has also completed the Emissions flash. Has anyone else had these problems?

I got the AEM done June 6, 30 days later it was sitting in my driveway after the dealership told me they couldn't get to it until Sept. 9. Here is how it went down, driving back from the farm store the check engine light pops on and throttle control warning starts to flash. This is on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday the turbo boost warning comes on. Then the 80% particulate filter warning and before I get to the highway the 100% warning. These all accompanied by a loss of power, no turbo, and poor shifting. I stopped by O'Reilly's and found code PO299 and PO2459.

So today I get to the dealer and 5 hours later hear back. They say it needs new injectors, a new diesel particulate filter, and a bunch of other things for emissions and the engine, and that some of the parts are on backorder. It is going to come to $6000-8000 and of course is covered by the new warranty. This truck has less than 43000 miles on it. No idea when I will get it back.

This is not starting out well.

Ccbigelow3

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
I feel your PAIN, I feel like Ram lied to everyone about the tune affecting the drivability of the vehicle.
To Recap: Here is the result after I got the AEM done June 6. 30 days later it is sitting in my driveway after the dealership cant get to it until Sept. 9. Here is how it went down, driving back from the farm store the check engine light pops on and throttle control warning starts to flash. This is on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday the turbo boost warning comes on. Then the 80% particulate filter warning and before I get to the highway the 100% warning. These all accompanied by a loss of power, no turbo, and poor shifting. I stopped by O'Reilly's and found code PO299 and PO2459.

Updated - So today I get to the dealer and 5 hours later hear back. They say it needs new injectors, a new diesel particulate filter, and a bunch of other things for emissions and the engine, nd that some of the parts are on backorder. It is going to come to $6000-8000 and of course is covered by the new warranty. This truck has less than 43000 miles on it. No idea when I will get it back.

jtk047

Jul 6, 2019
Truck Year
I figured I’d give y’all an update.

It’s still in the shop lol... they say it’s due to soot buildup now. I still don’t think they know what is wrong. It’s had close to $12,000 in parts and labor and it’s still sitting in the shop. Sorry this isn’t a better update.

lcbuilder

Sep 9, 2019
Truck Year
I took my 2016 1500 in for the Fiat-Chrysler recall to get the Ecodiesel emissions programming update (which comes with an extended warranty, per the federal settlement). At first, the dealer's service shop pretended they didn't know about the recall (!), but relented when I showed them the letter sent to me, and learned when I took it in that there's been a bunch of others before me that they serviced for same recall. There must be some hidden dealer issue behind that attitude.

The service was performed on 21 June 2019, and I noticed immediately after that emissions firmware update that the acceleration is MUCH poorer than before...almost to the point of being dangerous when pulling out in traffic. I'm planning to take it back to complain and see if they introduced some other problem while it was in their shop. I filled my fuel tank on the same day, and have not yet refilled so I don't know how mpg fuel efficiency has been affected; I use an Android app "Fuel Log" to keep track (it's fantastic, BTW), and have averaged 22mpg mixed driving for the past couple years. Once I know what's happened to that fuel efficiency, I'll be taking it back.

There is a monetary compensation component to the federal settlement, about $3K USD, but I haven't heard more info on that yet. I'm otherwise happy with the truck, it has low mileage (37K), so likely to hang onto it and take the cash.

PosterNutbag

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
Y'all are scaring the hell out of me LOL. I got the AEM done a few weeks ago. During the shop visit, the dealership noticed there was some "minor scoring" and loss of fluid so they replaced the EGR cooler and related hardware... I had to pay for the accompanying flush as it isnt covered as part of the warranty work which was irritating.

First time I pulled into traffic with vehicles bearing down on me and it didnt go, I damn near messed myself. My wife drove it and thought the parking brake was broken and stuck on. That being said, once I knew about the issue, I have been able to manage it fairly well for the first mile or so, as it does get better once it warms up. Still pisses me off though. I am crossing my fingers as I have not had any of the engine problems others are describing yet. 2016 with 64K on it so far... Was planning on keeping this vehicle as long as possible but now I am not so sure.

I guess I may as well keep it until the warranty is done but who knows how that will go. I do all my own oil/fuel/diff etc changes so I am just waiting for my first warranty battle in the future.

As far as MPG, I am mostly city so I have been averaging about 19.5 ( partly due to my BFG KO2 which cut 1MPG off my prior average). If I work really hard I can get near that, but driving like I did before, I was down to 17 in no time. Nothing more irritating than a vehicle not even getting its minimum rated MPG.

PosterNutbag

Sep 11, 2019
Truck Year
All, FYI, I just saw this story which was posted today. I reviewed the TOS and I think I am allowed to post the link, but if not, I apologize and please remove the post. Looks like they are going to address the lag issues following the AEM, but not sure if it will have any effect on any of the other issues reported here.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
All, FYI, I just saw this story which was posted today. I reviewed the TOS and I think I am allowed to post the link, but if not, I apologize and please remove the post. Looks like they are going to address the lag issues following the AEM, but not sure if it will have any effect on any of the other issues reported here.

Links are fine here.. thanks for sharing.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a "new" 2018 model with 3K on the clock. When cold (see below*) I can definitely feel the lag. Once warmed up it seems fine.
Fuel mileage city/Hwy so far is about 23-24 which I am happy with as I do lots of city driving. EVIC says, so far, Average speed at 29 MPH, average MPG is 26.3. I can live with that.

* I have no idea if the 2018 factory setup is the same as a 2016 setup or not. Not sure if they tuned it with the AEM or they have something else. I live in a hot area, but notice the lag for the first couple miles. After that she gets up and goes. Still debating the Sofa King.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

If they fix the fix I don't really care. I took FCA money and tuned both my eco's and got all my original performance back and better fuel mileage. End of Story, well maybe not, will be ordering ERG delete and storing it in garage until we spring a leak. Researching after market SCR and DPF elements, waiting for the day that Federal Exhaust Emissions are mandatory nationwide. It's coming, only the matter of one election.

ramfan

Aug 2, 2019
Truck Year
I have an '18 which was not affected by the recall but have the exact same issue, very poor acceleration when cold. Dangerous even. No help from the dealership. I'm thinking of trading it for an older cummins, won't get the same mileage but would have way more power!

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Does anyone know if they actually made changes to the 2017-2018 models? The settlement is on 2014-2016 vehicles.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yes they did. The 201-2016 AEM basically is the same calibration.
Interesting. Like I said above when cold I got lag. Once warmed up it’s a hot rod. I’m an old guy. If when I was young someone told me I’d one day own a 1/2 ton truck with a 183 cubic inch engine that could jerk your head back and smoke the tires and get 25 mpg I’d call them crazy. LOL. Of course back then if someone told me I’d pay 42K for a 1/2 ton truck I’d faint.

Ccbigelow3

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Here is my update. Got the truck back Tuesday of this week (Sept. 24). Been in the shop since September 9. They replaced the entire EGR system, all of the fuel injectors, the diesel particulate filter and the catalytic converter. In the mechanics words the entire system was sooted up. DPF at 135%, frequency codes, fuel at 65% whatever that means. No mention of the turbo boost code or throttle code. So clearly my system was having trouble regening before this and I spend a considerable amount of time highway driving. In all that time I have only seen three regen warnings and one of those failed. So I am a bit grateful for the extended warranty under the AEM since I now have over 38,000 miles on the truck. They billed FCA for over $7k in parts. What I notice is that the engine is louder though I have not seen the hesitation or acceleration delays that everyone is talking about. I am not as yet sure about mileage impacts. Truck seems to run fine, but I am feeling less confident in it if it soots up like this. Time will tell.