• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel turbo replacement

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What tools do I need to complete this removal and is there risk to voiding warranty?

I see no risk in voiding the warranty, Just common tools a sip tie1952 for the trans pressure line and about 3 hrs labor.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year

irongardenexpress

Feb 26, 2019
Truck Year
jcj, In MN we have mandatory Bio-diesel Great fuel, I have talk to the chemist dept and Flint hills Refinery (maker most of MN Diesel)

They claim if you mess with the additive package by adding additives it may cause the blend to affect the combination (Separating the bio form the Clear #2) I have verified their comment by MN Pumps and Injectors have less wear/cleaner than other parts of NA.
are you the guy who removed and cleaned his intake on utube? if so I have some questions thanks

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I see no risk in voiding the warranty, Just common tools a sip tieView attachment 1952 for the trans pressure line and about 3 hrs labor.
While we're on the topic, are there any other noise dampening parts that should be removed to prevent these types of issues? I read once there is a chunk of foam near the turbo that can be removed? Thank you again!

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
I have looked into a buyback. One dealer is working with me
Are they talking about buyback at what you paid in 2015 or just a credit towards a new one?

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
$900 for a tune sounds pretty steep. Plus, my truck will be down while the ECM is shipped, tuned, and shipped back. Is the ROI on this tune legitimate? Are you still seeing the gains weeks/months after the installation?

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
$900 for a tune sounds pretty steep. Plus, my truck will be down while the ECM is shipped, tuned, and shipped back. Is the ROI on this tune legitimate? Are you still seeing the gains weeks/months after the installation?
I did the exchange option where I owed them a core and they charged me a core charge. My wife drove my truck to VA and when she came back it showed 32 mpg on the computer. My oil comes out used but not disgusting at each oil change. The intake manifold is relatively clean and my swirl valves still work. The turbo is more responsive and the truck is quicker. But it's all up to you. You can always modify your EGR tube and have it dump somewhere below the truck, or block it off and just live with a CEL. If you take the EGR offline you have a much better truck.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I did the exchange option where I owed them a core and they charged me a core charge. My wife drove my truck to VA and when she came back it showed 32 mpg on the computer. My oil comes out used but not disgusting at each oil change. The intake manifold is relatively clean and my swirl valves still work. The turbo is more responsive and the truck is quicker. But it's all up to you. You can always modify your EGR tube and have it dump somewhere below the truck, or block it off and just live with a CEL. If you take the EGR offline you have a much better truck.
My truck is a 2015 and has around 58k miles on it and recently had the oil changed. I saw some photos on here of guys pulling and cleaning the EGR pipe. I am scared to death that mine looks like that! Any idea how long this procedure takes? It looks pretty straightforward; removing a few bolts and putting it back together.

I think a full EGR delete is my long term plan as I plan to keep this truck a very long time. My brother has a 2008 3/4 ton GMC and he is looking to the same on his Duramax.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
My truck is a 2015 and has around 58k miles on it and recently had the oil changed. I saw some photos on here of guys pulling and cleaning the EGR pipe. I am scared to death that mine looks like that! Any idea how long this procedure takes? It looks pretty straightforward; removing a few bolts and putting it back together.

I think a full EGR delete is my long term plan as I plan to keep this truck a very long time. My brother has a 2008 3/4 ton GMC and he is looking to the same on his Duramax.
well, the EGR diffuser tube comes out easy. Cleaning in solvent is maybe 2 hours work. The hard part is removing your intake and taking it apart and cleaning all the internals and the swirl valves. I would suspect about 8 hours. You have a lot of warranty left. I wouldn't delete anything. If I were you i would either tune out the EGR orI am working on a modified EGR tube that is factory, then in the middle it is blocked. It is under the sock so nobody can tell. I hope to have a prototype in a week.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It will throw codes Blocking your only option is restriction.1967

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
a diesel mechanic told me the sensor only tells if the EGR is open or close. My idea is to take the factory EGR diffuser tube and pull back the sock. Then put in a thin slice and drop in a round wafer to block the tube. Then we TIG weld it up, polish it, and pull the sock back over it. It should be undetectable and not set a code. A benefit of course is if the EGR cooler ever fails, you get no coolant going into your intake, though it certainly can go in your oil.

I am hopeful of finding someone around about Alabama to try it.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No.Just prior to the EGR valve the chamber has a thermo-coupler to measure the temp.it throws codes , rational and insufficient egr flow.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
No.Just prior to the EGR valve the chamber has a thermo-coupler to measure the temp.it throws codes , rational and insufficient egr flow.
So if the EGR is open and the flow is stopped further downstream, say right before the intake, it will throw a code?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, if its stop.. I already attempted to do so, in fact even 1/2 hole triggers the code, so 9/32 is the ticket. My guess is you only stop 12-16% of the flow but it better than 100% open.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I see no risk in voiding the warranty, Just common tools a sip tieView attachment 1952 for the trans pressure line and about 3 hrs labor.
So i was able to easily remove the engine cover and sound deadening foam under the intake tube over the weekend. I got a little nervous about removing the injector foam. What is the best process for swiveling the stainless pipe in the center of the frame to enable lifting the foam out of there?