• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Problems??

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
You realize its just a calculator right of how many miles you have drove. If you don't believe me when you're oil needs to be changed reset it and guess what it stays at 100%
No, its not just a miles reporter. It is a well designed piece of software that tracks engine use, temperature, towing, etc. Yes, you can fool yourself that you have fresh oil by just resetting the minder. There is not a mini Blackstone lab residing in your computer. It does not perform OA. Some brands, like Nissan, are just miles trackers. But GM and Ram use smart oil minders.

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
Just as I suspected! 2 local Houston dealerships told me, I had contaminated fuel! Filled an insurance claim they denyied the claim with no evidence of fuel contamination!
Both FCA Certified Dealerships couldn't provide me with documented proof or printouts on the so-called "fuel contamination".
Obtained a 2 fuel samples myself and sent those badboy's off! Pending results on the second sample obtained but here's the first!!!!!

Attachments

• A0C1CDAB-0C96-45FD-85AC-B5CF08275FF5.jpeg
    A0C1CDAB-0C96-45FD-85AC-B5CF08275FF5.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 19

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
To continue...... I'll be contacting FCA, the FCA representative's I've emailed, the douchebag I spoke to, better known as the HOR at FCA Both dealerships and my attorney tomorrow!
Maybe at some point in 2019 I can drive the damn thruck again!
Surely this should get interesting
I am just still so baffled, disgusted and disappointed in mankind, FCA/certified Dealerships out right falsifying records, misleading the consumer and denying warranties, telling their consumer the only option is a new engine on a new truck.
It's utterly disgusting, to those of us busting our asses on the daily trying to make a dollar, trying to raise our boys into men, attempting to install morals and values......
Keep y'all posted!

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sorry you have to deal with this but you have a winning hand. Keep on them.

jcole108

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
Can i ask if your dealer has caught onto the fact you have altered the engine.? Is that something you wprry about? Or is it just the price of some mechanical peace of mind?
What you did seems like the smart thing to keep you engine from dying a slow death that it certainly will if the epa emmisions crap is left in place. Although not sure a gde tune will fix the timing gear issue and connecting rod problem i keep reading about. How u have great luck no matter what.
GDE said the dealer does not have the equipment to go inside the ECM, all they can do is flash it. I Do all of my own oil changes because of the fees the dealer charges so there is really no need to take it back to them. As far as the timing gear, I know that some have said that since it is just pressed on it slips. I don't worry about that, it has not happened that often. The connecting rod issue, I don't know too much about. All I can say is my truck runs smooth and strong. I don't use it as a race car or pull extreme loads like a large cummins diesel. Most trucks, like mine, spend most of the miles hauling just the driver. I purchased this truck specifically for the mileage.

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
No, Its simple the motor is Hero / Zero Build. Most OK with some above normal care and driving habits, But its all relative if your the unlucky owner that gets a puker.

There are big discounts on 2018 leftovers, In long term ownership IMO its not worth the risk... Some decision is planned in DEC 18 on the DOJ /EPA case. If precedence is followed FCA will be buying back 2014-16 with owners option to keep. If this happens you can plan on the ED value to diminish greatly overnight.

Rumor has it New Engine in Late 2019.

I've so far have had 2 major engine repairs done on My 2015, last one $2500.00 the other $2xxx.00 in 44K miles. Covered under Warranty, My relationship to FCA is considerably different than most owners.
ZERO here!!!!

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
I have a good one. My 15 eco has close to 49,000 miles and has never given me any issues. I have towed an 8000lb camper from western Pa. to Maine and back as well as many miles towing my flat and box trailers. I used to haul oversized equipment and know the extra caution needed when hauling. My truck does not lag on acceleration, it gets going. I change oil and filters myself but do keep records and receipts, I use only Rotella T6 oil and change at 8000 miles. I replace the fuel filter every other oil change but have found by examining the used filters you get a lot of gunk in American diesel. I am quite happy with my truck but do hope they keep a good resale value down the road.
Watch out at the 70k point on....

Averagejoe2.0

Jun 2, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
My engine and trans went out at 9600. I've also had issues with the u connect. I've owned my truck for about 7 months and it's been in the shop for a month kf that and going. Needless to say, I'm not a big fan anymore.

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
To continue...... I'll be contacting FCA, the FCA representative's I've emailed, the douchebag I spoke to, better known as the HOR at FCA Both dealerships and my attorney tomorrow!
Maybe at some point in 2019 I can drive the damn thruck again!
Surely this should get interesting
I am just still so baffled, disgusted and disappointed in mankind, FCA/certified Dealerships out right falsifying records, misleading the consumer and denying warranties, telling their consumer the only option is a new engine on a new truck.
It's utterly disgusting, to those of us busting our asses on the daily trying to make a dollar, trying to raise our boys into men, attempting to install morals and values......
Keep y'all posted!
What is the latest update?

Pgaultsc69

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
I am new to the forum. I loved my 2011 Ram with the Hemi. Just traded it on for a 2016 Laramie 4x4 with the Ecodiesel. Sadly without researching 1st. My truck had 81775 when I bought it. I bought it from a Dodge dealer who certified that the maintenance was followed to the letter. Smoke and mirrors...I put exactly 800 miles on in in 19 days, before it left me stranded on the highway with a blown engine. Luckily the dealership gave me 0 hassle and is already replacing with a new engine, but I now have ZERO confidence in this truck and in FCA... so NO the problems have not been fixed, NO they are not just mainly affecting the 2014 and 2015 years. AND yes, I made a horrible mistake getting rid of my 2011 with its Hemi. Not once did it break down or leave me stranded in the 105000 miles I put on the truck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Pgaultsc69, When did you buy it, if you purchased after the EGR re-call, it cannot be re-sold and certainly repaired until the fix is released.

No 2014-19 all (Zero builds) suffer the same problems, form the same source VM Cento Italy.

Pgaultsc69

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
I bought it 12-31-2019 (AFTER the EGR Recall) No the EGR has not been fixed. It is the only recall that is listed as not completed and no parts available. From what I can find, the dealership can sell a used vehicle with an un-repaired recall, but can not sell a new vehicle with one. So no luck of me getting out of the deal that easy...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If its under a safety re-call its NOT advisable to sell W/O legal notifications , wavier and disclosure , if you purchased the vehicle knowingly it as safety re-call required.
Being the new owner you would NOT beware of the safety risk until weeks/months after ownership.

At least that's MN Law for License selling dealerships.

Pgaultsc69

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
I was not notified during purchase. I only found out about the safety recall, after installing the My Ram APP on my phone. I live in Oklahoma and I am currently trying to research the law here, but so far nothing specifically says it is illegal.

Oklahoma Independent Automobile Dealers Association
states:
Non-disclosure could place a dealer in violation of federal and state Unfair and Deceptive Acts or Practices (UDAP) laws. Currently, there is no law that specifically requires a used dealer to disclose recall information or to ensure that a recall has been accomplished on a vehicle. However, UDAP laws broadly prohibit unfair and deceptive trade practices. For example, failure to disclose certain known damage to a vehicle is considered unfair and deceptive under UDAP standards. It could be reasonably argued that failure to disclose an open safety recall would also be considered unfair and deceptive, i.e. the dealer would be knowingly placing an uninformed customer in an unsafe vehicle.

Sadly this is my first issue with buying a vehicle. I have been extremely lucky over the years and owned good vehicles with very little to no problems, which now makes me an uninformed individual on what my options are with this new purchase and how to proceed. I do thank and appreciate the help and advice so far. Will continue to research. I have owned ram trucks since 2003 and now I am very disappointed in the RAM name. Shame on you FIAT...

Hind sight being what it is, my gut told me not to get rid of a perfectly running RAM with a Hemi, I was lured in with the better fuel economy and gorgeous looks of the 2016 Laramie 4x4.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Pgaultsc69, I tip my hat to you, Its rare That I find Eco owners placing the failures were its Belongs Fiat/VM, Their are powers at FCA that wanted additional R/D on the 3.0 before it was brought to NA, Fiat in its misguided attempt to bring the 1/2 Dsl with the VM3.0 to NA has failed and cost billions and YET, their are Still (IMO) foolish buyers still being lured into buying into the quagmire.Pgaulttsc69 good for you to man up.

What really PO's me is Fait (FPT) ( Fait Power Technology ) has some of the best Dsl power plants in the world , That would have been a great resource to tap into when VM QC began to get out of control.

Pgaultsc69

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Got my truck back today with the new engine. They tore down the old engine and said root cause was lower main bearing failure. Engine was seized up, so they had to remove the torque converter from the transmission, then take it off the engine once the engine was removed. I have read that this is common when this engine seizes up. They also had to fix 2 broken bolts on the turbo charger. The truck seems to be running much better than it did when I bought it, so I am thinking the engine was already giving away at time of purchase.

I do have one question for the experienced Ecodiesel owners, and that is, before my truck blew up The only time I heard the Turbo was during acceleration. With the new engine, I still hear the turbo during acceleration, but now I hear a very loud WHOOSHING sound at the front passenger side of the engine every time I let off the gas pedal or when the truck shifts gears during acceleration. I am being told that this normal for turbo chargers. However this is a VGT, so it doesn't have a waste gate or blow off valve and secondly the truck was not making the sound with the previous engine.

Is the whooshing sound normal? Did I not hear it before, because the previous engine was possibly failing already when I purchased it? Or did they possibly mess up my torque converter, to where it is not locking up and causing my turbo to make too much boost?

The sound is very annoying and worrisome, since this is an engine replacement. Might be nothing, but after loosing an engine just 800 miles after buying the truck my confidence in this truck is severely lacking.

Mar 30, 2019
Truck Year
Got my truck back today with the new engine. They tore down the old engine and said root cause was lower main bearing failure. Engine was seized up, so they had to remove the torque converter from the transmission, then take it off the engine once the engine was removed. I have read that this is common when this engine seizes up. They also had to fix 2 broken bolts on the turbo charger. The truck seems to be running much better than it did when I bought it, so I am thinking the engine was already giving away at time of purchase.

I do have one question for the experienced Ecodiesel owners, and that is, before my truck blew up The only time I heard the Turbo was during acceleration. With the new engine, I still hear the turbo during acceleration, but now I hear a very loud WHOOSHING sound at the front passenger side of the engine every time I let off the gas pedal or when the truck shifts gears during acceleration. I am being told that this normal for turbo chargers. However this is a VGT, so it doesn't have a waste gate or blow off valve and secondly the truck was not making the sound with the previous engine.

Is the whooshing sound normal? Did I not hear it before, because the previous engine was possibly failing already when I purchased it? Or did they possibly mess up my torque converter, to where it is not locking up and causing my turbo to make too much boost?

The sound is very annoying and worrisome, since this is an engine replacement. Might be nothing, but after loosing an engine just 800 miles after buying the truck my confidence in this truck is severely lacking.
Sounds just like my experience. Ive got 14k on my new engine with no problems so far, hoping to get the tune on it in the next couple of weeks to eliminate one of the problems. The whooshing sound I would say is normal, both of my engines were pretty loud to the point I asked the dealership about both and I've heard from other owners as well saying it's normal

Pgaultsc69

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Sounds just like my experience. I've got 14k on my new engine with no problems so far, hoping to get the tune on it in the next couple of weeks to eliminate one of the problems. The whooshing sound I would say is normal, both of my engines were pretty loud to the point I asked the dealership about both and I've heard from other owners as well saying it's normal

Thank You for your reply. I will just try and get use to it then. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem. Once i get my confidence back in the truck, I listen to my radio so loud, I wont hear it anymore anyways.