• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Problems??

icem237

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Makes since. I do 10k on my 6.7s that work hard. My daily 6.7 15k or so.

OA on those are stellar.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
I am going to give you my theory on what can be done to avoid some engine failures, but not all. I am not saying this is the solution to an improperly assembled truck, but I think this is part of the solution to reduce engine wear on a truck that has a known history of (weak? bad?) main bearings.

Theory 1. The EGR dumps a lot of soot into the engine intake and in turn it gets into the oil. The comparison between the oil drained from a tuned truck and a factory tuned truck is night and day. If changed by the truck's oil monitor the oil from a tuned truck will be dark but clean. The oil from a factory tuned truck is black as coal and dirty. Yes, the use of an API certified CJ-4 (or CK-4) synthetic oil helps. But! Anything you can do to keep good oil on those main bearings instead of an oil loaded with trash in suspension is a net positive. RECOMMENDATION: Tune your engine GDE or Sofa King.

Theory 2. The second thing is fuel in the oil. Oil dilution by having up to 5% fuel in the oil damages the lubricating properties of the oil. This is (supposedly) caused by short trip driving and failed regen cycles (my theory). RECOMMENDATION: The truck needs a good 1 hour highway drive each week, at least.

Risk: If you don't keep a second ECM for when you get dealer service you could have the dealer discover you are running a tuned truck and have an engine related claim denied. (TC Diesel convinced me to say this)
I run Royal Purple for everything

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
While Im waiting to pull the trigger to on tuning and deletes. Will a earlier oil change help at all? 7,000 miles?
I don't go by miles. The Ram's oil minder is some very good tech that considers your use of the vehicle. If no tune, I would take it to 50% life and then change it.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
If soot was aiding the failures it would show up in OAs, I've done 2 filter analysis both low levels of soot.

Fuel in Oil would shorten the life of the rotating mass, not puke it to death, Fuel in Oil destroys the rings first the bearings would be way down on My list for fuel in oil wear.

Nothing can be done to save a zero build.
no argument on a zero build. No argument on a hero build. But maybe on a 80% build. And as I say, it is my theory.

jcole108

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
Jcole108, I have that year ED 1500 and average 21mpg mixed. What is this "GDE" upgrade you refer to?
Sorry, been really busy, Green Diesel Engineering. Mileage and performance will be there. If you get the Emission flash and the they pay the 3 grand, you have money to spare. Look up GDE on search engine, great guys, just finished emailing back and forth on Sunday about upgrade after emission flash by dealer.

jcole108

Apr 12, 2016
Truck Year
What kind of fuel mileage when towing 6000 lbs.
I have two 1500 Hemi’s that are getting 7-8 mpg when hauling our 14’ enclosed work trailers, carrying 3500lbs of equipment. Single cab trucks with 3.92 gears and upgraded springs.
I towed a friends truck on an 18 foot, double axel trailer from Florida to South Carolina running around 70 to 80 and I got about 18 to 20 miles per gallon. I was upset about that until I saw yours. The truck and trailer might have weigh in at a little over 6000

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Image result for lie-o-meter

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Anyone remember Joe Isuzu? "it gets 99 miles per gallon!" Subtitle: Downhill, in a hurricane!

icem237

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
I need a new engine on Ram 2015 EcoDiesel with right at 42,000 miles on it.
I had at the Dealership where I purchased it right about 10,000 miles and almost exactly 1 year to the date!
Both times they are saying "fuel contamination". Last year it was evidence by water in the fuel (which my water in fuel sensor never came on) and after stating that to them they changed to sludge! It would not crank when it got to 1/4 tank of gas. Anyway they dropped the tank cleaned it out, changed the fuel filter and blew out some lines.

Back in February while driving it gave me some warnings to put it in park! So I did and it went into limp mode! I had about a 1/2 tank of gas. So didn't think it was that. Had it towed to the sand Dealership, which they found "metal shavings" throughout the fuel system. Later the service advisor claimed to the FCA case manager that there was caked dirt on the fuel filter.
So stating it was due to "fuel contamination".

I requested a 2nd opinion from another Dealership, so I had it towed to another FCA Certified Dealership. They stated the same thing "metal shavings" throughout the fuel system and rusty fuel.
Filed a claim with my insurance, who denied the claim based on No evidence of "fuel contamination".

I asked both Dealerships for the fuel sample readout/printout which neither could produce. I wanted that before I could logically give them $15-20,000 for a new engine.

So I had the truck towed home today. It's a mess. It looks like they literally sprayed the inside with water! The battery is dead (which it wasn't) and in neutral. But oddly enough I have an empty tank of gas! Which I know was 1/2 full!

So my husband had read the code from the truck before I had it towed and he said it was giving him a code about the key fob and something about the electrical system.

Yesterday when I went to get my service ticket the 2 codes on the bill are; 1. p0001-00 and 2. p0562-00, we can't seem to find those codes and if anyone else with EcoDiesels have either.

The ticket also reads removed actg. and found melted and rust on the act. assy. engine is making a noise when cranking over.

Also claims (interesting) that my insurance adjuster supposedly left my key fob outside of the truck and rain got key fob!

I know it might seem stupidAF but it all seems a little too fishy to me.... Why don't I have gas? So I cannot obtain my own fuel sample?
Why is my battery dead? I mean the battery was perfect - yet more money I need to dish out!

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Others May Chime in , But when its this bad Call Me I will try and Help, You are welcome to post any comment I make during the call. 763-228-7121..... Todd.

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
Others May Chime in , But when its this bad Call Me I will try and Help, You are welcome to post any comment I make during the call. 763-228-7121..... Todd.
Can I call you now? Todd?
Of course my husband just called the service advisor and he claims to know NOTHING! Tried to blame the no gas on the manager..... My husband said well you wrote it! Just a bunch of stuttering! Just so extremely frustrating!

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
Dang it! Can I call you now? I literally just joined 2 forums (this the 2nd) and I had to Google a lil forum tutorial..I think replied to the wrong person/post!!!.... I've read through a Sh!tTon of y'all's posts but haven't jumped aboard until now cuz I can't handle this nonsense any more!!!! Thank you!

Twinsnb

May 31, 2019
Truck Year
Dang it! Can I call you now? I literally just joined 2 forums (this the 2nd) and I had to Google a lil forum tutorial..I think replied to the wrong person/post!!!.... I've read through a Sh!tTon of y'all's posts but haven't jumped aboard until now cuz I can't handle this nonsense any more!!!! Thank you!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, I welcome calls, I will try to help, but its not always what the owner wants to hear.

O, just notice we spoke in length, Just follow the direction on the Phone and see What develops.

Averagejoe2.0

Jun 2, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey all, first post here. I am considering purchasing a leftover 2018 ecodiesel Laramie 4x4 when I return to the states (been living in Europe for bit). Are the FCA engine problems still an issue with the 17-18 model years? I never read about a specific fix, but any thing I find specifies 14-16 were affected.
I've had my 2018 for 4 months. It has 9600 miles and already is getting a new engine. Sounded like I threw a rod and dealer found lots of metal in the oil pan. They are replacing it now. I'm seriously considering taking the loss and getting a Cummings.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
I don't go by miles. The Ram's oil minder is some very good tech that considers your use of the vehicle. If no tune, I would take it to 50% life and then change it.
You realize its just a calculator right of how many miles you have drove. If you don't believe me when you're oil needs to be changed reset it and guess what it stays at 100%