• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Problems??

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Its more of timing really I have to buy a truck when I get back to the states, which will be end of March or early April, so a leftover 18 or a built to order 19 just seems like it would make sense?

Do you think the 3.6L with 3.55 would have any problems with a TT with a dry weight of 5500? That seems to be on the high side of things I’m looking at.

ICF Guy

Aug 8, 2018
Truck Year
Its more of timing really I have to buy a truck when I get back to the states, which will be end of March or early April, so a leftover 18 or a built to order 19 just seems like it would make sense?

Do you think the 3.6L with 3.55 would have any problems with a TT with a dry weight of 5500? That seems to be on the high side of things I’m looking at.

I think it would handle that with no problem. The 3.6L with ETorque can tow over 7500 lbs with the 3.92 gears, so 5,500 lbs should be fine with 3.55 gears. You should confirm that with the manufacturer before purchasing.

podhauler

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I took advantage of the 2018 clear out prices and saved nearly $20,000. I now have 18,000 km. With GDE tune, I'm getting 7.2-8.2 L/100km at 100-110 km/h. I pull a 20' travel trailer with 0 issues. Mileage drops to 13L/100km+-.

very happy with the truck and the fantastic fuel economy.

Creep0321

Nov 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
And that sounds perfect but I’m not going to lie, I’m scared to buy an ED after reading these forums.

ICF Guy

Aug 8, 2018
Truck Year
I took advantage of the 2018 clear out prices and saved nearly $20,000. I now have 18,000 km. With GDE tune, I'm getting 7.2-8.2 L/100km at 100-110 km/h. I pull a 20' travel trailer with 0 issues. Mileage drops to 13L/100km+-.

very happy with the truck and the fantastic fuel economy.

Those could have been my comments a few months ago. Then the bottom fell out (literally!). Just for the record, I have personally owned and driven pickup trucks for 51 years now, and never had a major failure. Then I purchase 2 Ram Ecodiesels (a 2014 and a 2016), and both have engine failures. Too much to be a coincidence.

Osteoblast

Apr 8, 2017
Truck Year
And that sounds perfect but I’m not going to lie, I’m scared to buy an ED after reading these forums.
I lost my engine at 50k and FCA would only warranty it for the REMAINDER of the 100k warranty period. I drove it to 99k, lost my nerve and bought a new Raptor (amazing truck).

It's not paranoia if it's real.

Mike5034

Jan 6, 2019
Truck Year
Creep, I have a 2016 Eco with 53000 miles and not one single problem. I did put the GDE upgrade in when I had 1500 miles. My mileage is between 30 and 33 miles per gallon. I do a mix of city and hwy everyday to work (about 45 miles). In the summer time I tow my 3000 lbs boat every chance I get and the mileage goes down to about 24 to 26 depending on distance. The only complaint I have is the price of the recommended oil. I change my own and it is still about $60 to $80 depending on sales.
Can i ask if your dealer has caught onto the fact you have altered the engine.? Is that something you wprry about? Or is it just the price of some mechanical peace of mind?
What you did seems like the smart thing to keep you engine from dying a slow death that it certainly will if the epa emmisions crap is left in place. Although not sure a gde tune will fix the timing gear issue and connecting rod problem i keep reading about. How u have great luck no matter what.

BJE

Feb 18, 2017
Truck Year
My truck was flawless until the engine failed at 119,000 km, so I wouldn’t get too comfortable. Now that my truck has a new 2018 Ecodiesel engine, I’m trying to determine whether or not to keep it. Pretty hard to justify the extra expense when you have to pay $12,000 for a new engine every 100,000 km or so.
I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the truck. Drive train protected for 125,000 miles

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Can i ask if your dealer has caught onto the fact you have altered the engine.? Is that something you wprry about? Or is it just the price of some mechanical peace of mind?
What you did seems like the smart thing to keep you engine from dying a slow death that it certainly will if the epa emmisions crap is left in place. Although not sure a gde tune will fix the timing gear issue and connecting rod problem i keep reading about. How u have great luck no matter what.

I think timing gear and connecting rod are non issues, flukes so to say. The bigger issue is bearing failure.

Either way, not sure a tune would do a whole lot to prevent that failure other then changing RPM maps to reduce stress on the bottom end. I guess keeping the oil cleaner longer helps.

Dealerships vary in attitude and customer service so all are not going to treat you the same. I am in good graces with mine so we talk candidly about things. As far as ECM flashes, if it isn’t broke, they’re not going to try and fix it.

When this EPA fix comes about my thoughts are the dealerships are going to get you in and out quick as possible. Not going to care what’s on ECM when truck comes in, just what’s written on it as it leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toro66

Aug 28, 2017
Truck Year
approaching 50K change my own oil every 5K with filter T-6 5w-40w no towing highlway runs from Ga, to FL been to dealer once for a code that flashed and disappeared. Dealer changed egr valve no problems thinking of detune or wait for new model

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
approaching 50K change my own oil every 5K with filter T-6 5w-40w no towing highlway runs from Ga, to FL been to dealer once for a code that flashed and disappeared. Dealer changed egr valve no problems thinking of detune or wait for new model

Welcome to the community @Toro66 !

ICF Guy

Aug 8, 2018
Truck Year
I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the truck. Drive train protected for 125,000 miles
What happens if your engine fails at 130,000 miles? You are still left to pay for an expensive new motor at 1/3 of the normal life expectancy for a diesel motor. FCA needs to come clean and admit they have a problem. They also have not given any indication whether or not the engine problems have been corrected in the newer replacement engines. I am a lifetime dyed-in-the- Mopart fanatic, so this is not sour grapes from a brand x convert.

John

Nov 13, 2015
What happens if your engine fails at 130,000 miles? You are still left to pay for an expensive new motor at 1/3 of the normal life expectancy for a diesel motor. FCA needs to come clean and admit they have a problem. They also have not given any indication whether or not the engine problems have been corrected in the newer replacement engines. I am a lifetime dyed-in-the- Mopart fanatic, so this is not sour grapes from a brand x convert.

SOL if/when the motor fails out of warranty. I firmly believe there are way too many engines failing. I'm not expecting any admission from FCA though. They put the expected engine life at 140,000 miles. Many have failed early and many have well over that mileage. This little Ecodiesel is not like the diesel's of the past. Once the high HP and Torque is achieved from such a small displacement engine the longevity suffers.

It's crazy you had two failures. What are the odds?

ICF Guy

Aug 8, 2018
Truck Year
SOL if/when the motor fails out of warranty. I firmly believe there are way too many engines failing. I'm not expecting any admission from FCA though. They put the expected engine life at 140,000 miles. Many have failed early and many have well over that mileage. This little Ecodiesel is not like the diesel's of the past. Once the high HP and Torque is achieved from such a small displacement engine the longevity suffers.

It's crazy you had two failures. What are the odds?

FCA actually said the expected life of the ecodiesel was 140,000 miles? Wow! Based on that, there would be no economic advantage over purchasing the hemi.

I’m driving down (with my ecodiesel) to Florida from Canada next week, and will be doing a complete loop around Florida in the month I am there. Hopefully I don’t end up walking home!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Some EDs have lasted, over 300K miles, those are 80-90% HWY miles.

The ED was marketed for Family use and sold for DD grocery getting, FCA underdeveloped the power plant for this use.

Now the Matter is more problematic with the NON-recognition of Cento QC. Now comes the cheating on emissions, don't believe the BS at www.1500diesel.stupid . FCA conditional software netted the same results as VW both were conditional under difference circumstance ..that's it.

Under the settlement you should be good to 120K-10 Years miles. Just remove your worthless sound foam and check your plenum at 30-40K miles and if its ugly sooted up ( it will be) make FCA replace the Plenum/EGR and possibly turbo. when it gets to 119K take it back to the dealership and complain about its surging and unpowered and they will replace the Turbo/Plenum/EGR and you should good for another 30/40K miles..

This is all contingent on OAs for the entire life of the 3.0. to establish a trend and if the wear level trend to rise Trade in ASAP.

If FCA don't do as you ask, File compliant with the EPA non-compliance to settlement and the EPA will handle the case with FCA.

Last edited:

Ehume

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought a 2018 Limited in June Engine seems to be running fine, however mine is at the Dealership with a problem with the DEF System. They had it all day today and haven’t come up with a full diagnosis. I have 22K on it, and use synthetic oil. After reading some of these post I hope I didn’t sign up for something that will cost me a lot of cash in the future. I did purchase the extended warranty that covers me up to 120k and would recommend that with a puchase of any new vehicle.

icem237

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have an 18 Laramie ED 4x4 , purchased late DEC 18. I have just a little over 18k miles . Engine developed a knock at around 9,500 miles. I took it into the dealer, they could hear the knock in the lower end passenger side but couldn't diagnose it and was told to bring it back when it had gotten worse. Well sure enough on the interstate around 70 mph the engine let go finally, major vibration and knocking loudly. Luckily had a rest area right down the road and limped it in. Had it towed to dealer and left it there. Ram asked for oil change receipts as expected. I had it changed with chevron delo 5w-40 full synthetic and mopar filter 2 times by then. No major resistance from Ram at all. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR OIL CHANGE RECEIPTS!

Engine is being replaced fully , not just the long block, but everything new. Dealer said that Ram wants the entire engine and exterior parts back to really see what happened , Sounds good to me!

The dealer has been great in helping , as well as a RAM customer service agent has been calling about every other day checking with me and dealer on how things are going. To be 100% honest , I called Ram the same day at the rest area and asked for a case manager. Its been my experience in the past that it goes a long way to do this on the front end when there is a major failure warranty issues. She was able to get me a free loaner for the duration and pushed a new crate engine to get to the dealer sooner.

I've not talked to see what it actually is that went south, but Its my guess that it was limited to one piston, engine when initially started knocking , lost fuel mileage about 2 mpg, and the knock would go away at highway speeds but when slower traffic or at idle it would knock loudly from passenger side rear of engine. Also would knock louder under load. Whats your opinions?

Other than this , truck has been perfect. No other issues. I've been a Ram fan for ages and have 2 more cummins in the stable too.

Just wanted to share my recent experience.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
Interesting thought issue was fixed with motors. In 14 they found out that they didn't weld the camshaft gear on well enough. If they tell you what they fit I would love to know. I have a 16 LIMITED ECODIESEL running a Banks Derringer, S&B cold air intake and have almost 50k miles on it with no problems.

icem237

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Interesting thought issue was fixed with motors. In 14 they found out that they didn't weld the camshaft gear on well enough. If they tell you what they fit I would love to know. I have a 16 LIMITED ECODIESEL running a Banks Derringer, S&B cold air intake and have almost 50k miles on it with no problems.

I still have every confidence in the ED. No engine mods were done on mine. Though I had thought about it. I guess in this case its good I hadn't.

I'll keep updated as I find out.