• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5w-40 oil change update

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
Dropped by the dealership today. To get more Info of upgrading to shell Rotella oil. As per other thread. If you do your own oil changes. You need to get a reflash tsb-18-078-16. If not it could throw a code. The reflash upgrades fan calibration' transmission' and oil algorithm. And decal change to 5w-40. On a sidebar talked to a mechanic and he highly recommend to get the GDE tune. It is the best thing you can do for your ecodiesel. If you to keep it longer than two years. Lol he said the factory program in the Eco was written by two drunk guys on a weekend. Lots of room for improvement!!!

Get

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
OK, I'm confused about this. I called RAM a few weeks ago, and they told me that the switch had been made and that I should begin to use the 5w40 rotella synthetic in my 2015 RAM Ecodiesel. They also said that I had a service update which I am pretty sure is the above mentioned tsb-18-078-16. I have not got the service update yet, but since I spoke to Ram, I have installed the GDE Hot Tune. I love the way the truck drives and shifts. I can cruise at 52 MPH in 8th gear and get great MPG. My question is, do I need to do the update and if I do, will it mess up my GDE Tune?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
OK, I'm confused about this. I called RAM a few weeks ago, and they told me that the switch had been made and that I should begin to use the 5w40 rotella synthetic in my 2015 RAM Ecodiesel. They also said that I had a service update which I am pretty sure is the above mentioned tsb-18-078-16. I have not got the service update yet, but since I spoke to Ram, I have installed the GDE Hot Tune. I love the way the truck drives and shifts. I can cruise at 52 MPH in 8th gear and get great MPG. My question is, do I need to do the update and if I do, will it mess up my GDE Tune?

Don't let them flash any ECM update if you're tuned as it will erase everything GDE as done.

As far as the update, I think someone mentioned it alters the oil change consumption timing on the dash, but I'm not sure if it does anything else in regards to programming.

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
Update!! After dealership found out they cannot do flash before you do a oil change.it would cause a code. I changed oil had the update done. Changes? It seems less responsive on take off. The transmission seems to shift smoother. The biggest change was pulling our 5k. TT. The electric fan comes on a lot sooner never had that happen before. And stayed on for most of a two hour pull. All temperatures ran much cooler. Seems like more turbo lag. But like the running temperatures pulling. Tech said again best thing to do is get the GDE. My question? Does the GDE help more for trailer towing? Power and temperatures? Thx

Pat Meanea

Apr 23, 2015
Truck Year
OK. Did I miss something? What is a GDE Tune? Where do I get it and how much does it cost? Does it affect the warranty? Thanks for any help.

Gerald

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I am now on my second change with the Rotella T6 5w40...

I have a 2015 and have not had any flashes done referencing the changes in oil specs specs...

I have had no changes in performance as for any updates for a flash....

Seriously believe some of these dealers do not know what is even going on when it comes to Tech bulletins or even working on this engine....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
OK. Did I miss something? What is a GDE Tune? Where do I get it and how much does it cost? Does it affect the warranty? Thanks for any help.

Welcome Pat! GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) is a company that offers tuning for the EcoDiesel. You will have to call or check their site for pricing..Yes, it will affect your warranty if you end up blowing a motor and Ram finds out the truck was tuned. It's risk that some folks like to take..

Pat Meanea

Apr 23, 2015
Truck Year
Welcome Pat! GDE (Green Diesel Engineering) is a company that offers tuning for the EcoDiesel. You will have to call or check their site for pricing..Yes, it will affect your warranty if you end up blowing a motor and Ram finds out the truck was tuned. It's risk that some folks like to take..

I can't afford the possible warranty problem so... Thanks for the info. I am having problems with poor fue mileage so am going to have to visit the dealer soon. Has gradually gotten worse. 23,000 miles on truck. Love the truck, runs and rides great, but mileage bothers me. 24-25 mpg on long tips but 17-18 local driving.

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Laramie with only 2000 miles on it. Driving 80-85 I am still getting 25 mpg. At 75 I am averaging 27-28. So far all is good. I really appreciate the info y'all are putting on here. Thanks!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a 2016 Laramie with only 2000 miles on it. Driving 80-85 I am still getting 25 mpg. At 75 I am averaging 27-28. So far all is good. I really appreciate the info y'all are putting on here. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Mark Striegel

Mar 9, 2016
Truck Year
I put the GDE Hot Tune on my 2015 with 15k miles in June and it made a world of difference. Instant take off instead of pedal hesitation, torque and HP curves max sooner and last longer. Gears hold better and the tranny shifts smoother. I chose to do the tune for Gas Mileage increase, Power increase, and to extend the life of the engine. The tune deletes the EGR while working to make the DPF and DEF systems work more efficiently. I would suggest all Ecodiesel owners check out their website and read their forum. They put their trucks through a lot of testing and definitely know what works and what doesn't on these engines. The tune doesn't maximize the HP or torque that the engines can produce, but GDE explains that pushing it harder only makes the engines less efficient. No disappointment here, and it's highly unlikely that any dealership would know the truck has been tuned. Mine told me that they had no way to tell if it had been messed with or not. Some guys keep their original ECM and then buy a tuned ECM from GDE and swap them out whenever they take their truck in. I would tell you it's not necessary, but that's your call.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I put the GDE Hot Tune on my 2015 with 15k miles in June and it made a world of difference. Instant take off instead of pedal hesitation, torque and HP curves max sooner and last longer. Gears hold better and the tranny shifts smoother. I chose to do the tune for Gas Mileage increase, Power increase, and to extend the life of the engine. The tune deletes the EGR while working to make the DPF and DEF systems work more efficiently. I would suggest all Ecodiesel owners check out their website and read their forum. They put their trucks through a lot of testing and definitely know what works and what doesn't on these engines. The tune doesn't maximize the HP or torque that the engines can produce, but GDE explains that pushing it harder only makes the engines less efficient. No disappointment here, and it's highly unlikely that any dealership would know the truck has been tuned. Mine told me that they had no way to tell if it had been messed with or not. Some guys keep their original ECM and then buy a tuned ECM from GDE and swap them out whenever they take their truck in. I would tell you it's not necessary, but that's your call.

Welcome Mark!

They can tell if it was tuned or not. Even though the factory ECM hasn't been tuned and you return it in that condition, they can see the number of regens an other key data points won't "match up" to the miles on the truck..

The fact is, if you want to keep your warranty, I would highly suggest that you do not tune your truck. But that's just me.

The EPA has ruined a lot for us diesel owners. 9.5/10 people will never need warranty, but I don't want people to get stuck with a $15000 engine bill when they find out a "tuner" voided their warranty.

But, if you go in and your window switch fails, your warranty is fine. When you blow a motor (or other major component), they are going to investigate and dig as deep as possible to see what happen.. a tuned ECM will not help your case at all.

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
My friend Bill has his in for Turbo, in 3 weeks now.
He had installed the GDE tune,they called him on the warranty even though the original chip was in it when it went in.

Guess I'll wait until the warranty is up before I do anything, although I liked the way his truck performed.

Jason Kahn

Apr 1, 2016
Truck Year
I went to my dealer today, and it's very sad when a Ram dealer doesn't even know about the oil grade change, and doesn't even have the oil in Stock.
I gave them the TSB number, they looked it up, and was in shock that I knew about it, when they didn't even know.
Plus they said they would have to change the oil themselves and replace the oil filler cap, and stickers before they could perform the TSB.
If it's not going to throw a code for changing to 5w-40 my self, I'll just keep driving it until it does.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
My friend Bill has his in for Turbo, in 3 weeks now.
He had installed the GDE tune,they called him on the warranty even though the original chip was in it when it went in.

Guess I'll wait until the warranty is up before I do anything, although I liked the way his truck performed.
Ok, so what I hear you saying is that RAM Refused to pay out a warranty for a turbo? more info please!!!!

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Ok, so what I hear you saying is that RAM Refused to pay out a warranty for a turbo? more info please!!!!
They told him he had voided his warranty when he installed the after market tuning chip. They can tell it has been done even if you reinstall the original OEM chip