• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

5w40 Oil

ED RAM

May 4, 2016
Truck Year
Local dealer states my 2016 eco diesel purchased in April does not fall under the new 5w40 guidelines. Therefore I should use 5w30 euro $tuff. Says it will throw a check engine light. I read the RRT (service bulliten) as all eco diesels built on or before June 2016 are to get this flash etc. Anyone have input?

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Local dealer states my 2016 eco diesel purchased in April does not fall under the new 5w40 guidelines. Therefore I should use 5w30 euro $tuff. Says it will throw a check engine light. I read the RRT (service bulliten) as all eco diesels built on or before June 2016 are to get this flash etc. Anyone have input?

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Went to the dealership yesterday to Ck on which oil to use. (3rd ck) I was finally told that the correct oil was 5w40 syn. Along with a flash update. Also its for free. The flash update is not ready for earlier dates but it is in the works.He also said a notice is in the works to be sent out to owners.

John

Nov 13, 2015

another uninformed dealer. all year ecodiesels use the new oil spec. 5w40.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
Ever since the change in Oil Specs in the US, I've been checking the Canadian Manuals for changes. Nothing changed but last night
I decided to click on the 2017 Manual and there it changed to a 5W-40 synthetic like the Shell Rotella.
I still have 3- six-packs of the Euro-L on Hand and with Winter arriving very soon I will do one more Oil change to use up what I have
and after that change to Rotella 5W-40.
Anyone have some Info on what the FLASH is all about?

John

Nov 13, 2015
from the TSB

Ever since the change in Oil Specs in the US, I've been checking the Canadian Manuals for changes. Nothing changed but last night
I decided to click on the 2017 Manual and there it changed to a 5W-40 synthetic like the Shell Rotella.
I still have 3- six-packs of the Euro-L on Hand and with Winter arriving very soon I will do one more Oil change to use up what I have

from the TSB

The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this
software release:
· Fan calibration.
· Transmission calibration.
· Revised oil change algorithm.

Attachments

• TSB-18-078-16 Oil Spec Change.pdf
    110.3 KB · Views: 80

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
One thing to add make sure they change your oil filter while doing the tsb. Its not part of it but they should do it for the cost of the filter. Otherwise you end up with a half done oil change.

EOC

Aug 9, 2016
Truck Year
Wish I had read this before I brought mine in for oil change yesterday. I posted in the Maintenance forum about my oil change. They didn't have the required oil to change it over to the new spec of oil yet. So I have the new old spec of oil in it now. Also, didn't know they would provide it for free...ugh woulda saved me $180! Will check back in a month or so and see if they have in stock and see about another oil change and getting it for free. After all they changed it for a reason right.
Especially since I was there I overheard them talking about a 2016 ram that was brought in the day before with engine failure. He had 14 k on it, was just bringing it in for its first oil change, and now it needs a new motor.

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Got my free oil change(Rotella T6)5w40 and flash,I guess.
Filter leaking,oil all over engine cover from filling, (didn't remove cover to fill),oil on filter side of engine,(didn't let filter drain before removing )back to dealer tomorrow to see what they can mess up now.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Got my free oil change(Rotella T6)5w40 and flash,I guess.
Filter leaking,oil all over engine cover from filling, (didn't remove cover to fill),oil on filter side of engine,(didn't let filter drain before removing )back to dealer tomorrow to see what they can mess up now.

Usually the cheapest labor in the shop does the oil changes. And you get this..

And dealers wonder why they get a bad rep. I guess these guys think the owners are never going to open the hood up?

Reactions: SLT

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Got a call from dealership. They said the oil level was fine and no oil around the filter (there was when it went in) . It doesn't have any oil and looks really clean now.Grandson told them he thought the Truck Fairy fixed it. Although they did offer me another free oil change for my trouble . It would be better to say our mistake, sorry.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Millrat here- There is a TSB #18-078-16 from Chrysler dated July 20, 2016. They are calling for Mopar or Shell Rotella T6 Fully synthetic 5W-40 in addition to flash updating some of the software. I know because I just had my oil changed today at the dealer in my Eco-Diesel-2016 Laramie Limited bought 3 weeks ago. There is more info on another thread I along with some others posted.

Millrat

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

If you can locate TSB (technical service bulletin) #18-078-16 - that might help you

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

DRMAC

Oct 10, 2016
Truck Year
from the TSB

from the TSB

The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this
software release:
· Fan calibration.
· Transmission calibration.
· Revised oil change algorithm.

Thank you John for the information. I just love this forum. I stumbled onto this RAM 2016 issue because of another issue I had with a message on my display about Air suspension system needs service at 1.4k miles . The dealer accomplished this TSB but was vague about explaining. I will look for TSB signs just to keep dealer honest. They used what was not my choice of oil too. The TSB said rotella but they used pennzoil 10w40 euro? I will switch to Mobil Devac 1 next time anyway.

Mr Reed

Aug 27, 2016
Truck Year
Wow. Just brought my truck in for its first service. Quoted the TSB, even provided a copy of it. They said they never seen it and TSB'S were accomplished by matching to the VIN. Ok, sounds reasonalble. They checked and came back and said the truck did in fact have the TSB and needed the new oil and flash. Funny thing is they told me it wasn't the same TSB. But when I look at the reciept, low and behold is the TSB number I had been reading the whole time. Sounds like to they were cough in a lie and covering thier ass. When I first walked in, I had asked what kind of oil was needed, and they said 0W40 bulk oil. So I gotta wonder what is in the rest of the eco's in my area and what the dealer is telling them. Odd.....

Attachments

• 20161103_163244.jpg
    20161103_163244.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 29