• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Accidental gas in an Ecodiesel

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
After 40 years of driving gasoline vehicles I purchased my first diesel, a 2015 RAM Ecodiesel. 8 months after ownership I stopped to purchase diesel and got disoriented when the pump would not accept my credit card finally. Finally getting it to work I proceeded to put fuel in but accidentally 0.5 gallons of gas was put in the tank I noticed it was the wrong hose shutting it off immediately. I contacted 3 dealerships about what to do and all said to have the truck towed in and tank pumped. finally one dealership said I could do it myself removing the fuel filter from the back at the tank and cycling the switch on and off to pump the fuel out of the tank. this would have been very acceptable as there was probably less than two gallons of diesel in my tank when I started to fill up. all dealership said do not start the engine even with only half a gallon of gas mixed even with a full tank of diesel. they all recommended pumping it out first. I figured I could do this on the side of the station under a tree and proceeded to find a friend to pull my truck off the station site. After repeated attempts to disengage the transfer case so I could pull my truck off the site I resorted to using the emergency lever on the left side of the steering wheel to put the truck in neutral but in my process of trying to select neutral in the transfer case, unfortunately my foot was on the brake and so the engine started and using/pumping the mixed fuel now into the line. it ran about 5 seconds before I could turn it off. Unfortunately cycling through the switch again it started and ran again now for 3 seconds before I could turn it off. pulling the truck offsite, I dropped the fuel filter and immediately smelled gas in the fuel. Starting the on switch it took 11 "on" cycles to pump about a gallon fuel through the line. in 41 on cycles the tank was pumped empty but I added a half a gallon of diesel to the tank twice and Pumped each half-gallon out to help flush the tank of gas. After the fuel came out smelling like diesel vs gas I installed a new filter and went to the engine and disconnecting the inlet fuel line above the engine and ran the "on" cycle once more to flush the line of gas/diesel fuel mixture. after the third "on" cycle flushing the linen no more gas was detected by smell coming from the line. after adding more diesel to the truck, i started the truck and it ran fine with no engine lights or issues noticed at all. I drove perfectly for 25 miles and then I noticed an engine light came on. I stop the truck read the book manual and it said that was probably due to dirty fuel and if it continues to stay on have the truck serviced. The engine light stayed on for another 40 miles. I started the truck the next morning and there was no engine light and it has not come back on for 3 weeks of driving. Since then all seems to be ok. If you put gas in your diesel I would recommend pumping it and the "on" switch does a good job especially if you have a low volume of fuel in the tank.

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
After 40 years of driving gasoline vehicles I purchased my first diesel, a 2015 RAM Ecodiesel. 8 months after ownership I stopped to purchase diesel and got disoriented when the pump would not accept my credit card finally. Finally getting it to work I proceeded to put fuel in but accidentally 0.5 gallons of gas was put in the tank I noticed it was the wrong hose shutting it off immediately. I contacted 3 dealerships about what to do and all said to have the truck towed in and tank pumped. finally one dealership said I could do it myself removing the fuel filter from the back at the tank and cycling the switch on and off to pump the fuel out of the tank. this would have been very acceptable as there was probably less than two gallons of diesel in my tank when I started to fill up. all dealership said do not start the engine even with only half a gallon of gas mixed even with a full tank of diesel. they all recommended pumping it out first. I figured I could do this on the side of the station under a tree and proceeded to find a friend to pull my truck off the station site. After repeated attempts to disengage the transfer case so I could pull my truck off the site I resorted to using the emergency lever on the left side of the steering wheel to put the truck in neutral but in my process of trying to select neutral in the transfer case, unfortunately my foot was on the brake and so the engine started and using/pumping the mixed fuel now into the line. it ran about 5 seconds before I could turn it off. Unfortunately cycling through the switch again it started and ran again now for 3 seconds before I could turn it off. pulling the truck offsite, I dropped the fuel filter and immediately smelled gas in the fuel. Starting the on switch it took 11 "on" cycles to pump about a gallon fuel through the line. in 41 on cycles the tank was pumped empty but I added a half a gallon of diesel to the tank twice and Pumped each half-gallon out to help flush the tank of gas. After the fuel came out smelling like diesel vs gas I installed a new filter and went to the engine and disconnecting the inlet fuel line above the engine and ran the "on" cycle once more to flush the line of gas/diesel fuel mixture. after the third "on" cycle flushing the linen no more gas was detected by smell coming from the line. after adding more diesel to the truck, i started the truck and it ran fine with no engine lights or issues noticed at all. I drove perfectly for 25 miles and then I noticed an engine light came on. I stop the truck read the book manual and it said that was probably due to dirty fuel and if it continues to stay on have the truck serviced. The engine light stayed on for another 40 miles. I started the truck the next morning and there was no engine light and it has not come back on for 3 weeks of driving. Since then all seems to be ok. If you put gas in your diesel I would recommend pumping it and the "on" switch does a good job especially if you have a low volume of fuel in the tank.
Sorry, total pumps was 21 "on" cycles for 2 gallons, not 41.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've never done it..but my dad has 3 times! I just drained the tank each time and put a new fuel filter in it. Also added the power service diesel treatment from walmart and no problems yet. The last time has been about two years ago.

Welcome to the site !

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Wow that sounds like something I would do...correct me if I'm wrong but when you hit the start button without the keys In the truck it cycles the fuel system...maybe a safer way of cycling it to avoid starting it.

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
Wow that sounds like something I would do...correct me if I'm wrong but when you hit the start button without the keys In the truck it cycles the fuel system...maybe a safer way of cycling it to avoid starting it.
Maybe that's right. Hadn't tried that. That would have been helpful to know if that works. I can't try it now as my ED is in the shop. I checked my fluids fairly often and read in one of these forums that someone found oil in the coolant reservoir so I checked mine last Monday as a result and there it was. ... black oily substance in the coolant and all over inside of the reservoir. They took my truck Thursday with 13600 miles and started to tear it apart to find the problem. I'll go tomorrow and see what found and what they are replacing. I know they ordered a radiator and reservoir for sure. Probably will be in the shop most of this week. Sure hated to find this problem as I really liked the truck.

WesMgc

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Wow good post hopefully none of us have to do this but if it happens we have options.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
And another one bites the dust....boy I hope they have an updated cooler instead of plugging back in a new one that's the same

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
Ram update. Found oil in the coolant reservoir several days ago 13,700 miles and took it to the dealer, Killebrew. He has an oil cooler ordered and it may take couple days to get here. That's what they suspect is leaking. The oil coolers are not available through dodge warehouses as they are sold out and he is buying one from another dealer. They will test it once they get off. also replacing the radiator and the radiator coolant tank and the thermostat. They looked in the engine with a camera in the water jackets, etc. and found no deposits, all looks clean he said. They will flush the engine with water and dawn detergent to cut any possible grease or oil and flush the heater core and put it together. change oil and filter and it should be ready maybe this weekend or Tuesday. May have a problem with the next oil cooler 5 - 20000 miles from now as I don't think Ram has made improvements on the cooler yet . According to Internet sources the cooler is a problem for RAM and that's what they expect. That's a hell of a way to get your second oil change done for free.

Any comments, suggestions?

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
I am curious to see how long it takes ram to fix this thing...this has to be an absolute customer service nightmare and with word of mouth being the way it is right now I'm sure they have lost a ton of sales simply due to this issue as it is very prevalent in these trucks.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
The replacement oil coolers, are they the exact same design as the original?? Seems like FCA would address it's design flaws and revise. Hard to believe if not....

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
From everything I have come up with everyone I know has just been told they got a bad batch and that there is no need for an updated cooler.

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
Ramjo,
What is date of mfg. on truck???
ZMan079
Where does it say the manufacturing date on the truck? Truck is at the dealer and won't get there til Wednesday. Or does it say on any paperwork?

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for sharing your gasoline story Ramjo, will familiarize myself with the fuel filter procedure because if it can happen to the best of them, it can happen to me!
Also an oil cooler victim. Just 5 flushes and a reservoir on order, no new rad/ lines like I've seen with others. Monitoring oil and coolant daily with pics, coolant is still pink-ish, no discolouration. Lets hope they were just a bad batch!

ZMan079

Aug 10, 2015
Truck Year
Where does it say the manufacturing date on the truck? Truck is at the dealer and won't get there til Wednesday. Or does it say on any paperwork?

On the Drivers door sticker. UNfortunately they don't lsit the day anymore, only the Month and Year. Mine is a 6/15, so just wondering if I need to be on the lookout....

ZMan079

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
RamJo, so sorry you had to go through this! I too am a first time diesel owner and have the same fear of putting gas into the diesel tank. I keep telling myself to think 'Green'. Put green-to-green. Green hose to green filler cap. I got one of those Geno's garage magnetic green gas caps that says 'diesel' on the top, to help me remind me as well.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
RamJo, so sorry you had to go through this! I too am a first time diesel owner and have the same fear of putting gas into the diesel tank. I keep telling myself to think 'Green'. Put green-to-green. Green hose to green filler cap. I got one of those Geno's garage magnetic green gas caps that says 'diesel' on the top, to help me remind me as well.

Generally green means diesel, but BP labels some gas handles green as well.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
All the diesel station I've used in Calgary, AB, has Yellow. Easy enough to grab the wrong one. I make a point of looking 4 times before I start. LOL

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
My son has a diesel for 10 years and he too has seen green gas hoses in Texas... but most all green are diesel. I just got side tracked and messed up. Got that issue solved and now oil in radiator issue. Been busy away selling calves. More issues now. Using my 93 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. It's now running erratic and I'm at a private shop and we bled the outlet and inlet fuel lines at the carb and it's barely getting enough gas fuel to run. Pump in the tank needs replacing.

I'll check my ED production date tomorrow.

Ramjo

Jul 28, 2015
Truck Year
My son ha s a d the oil cooler leak proiesel for 10 years and he too has seen green gas hoses in Texas... but most all green are diesel. I just got side tracked and messed up. Got that issue solved and now oil in radiator issue. Been busy away selling calves. More issues now. Using my 93 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. It's now running erratic and I'm at a private shop and we bled the outlet and inlet fuel lines at the carb and it's barely getting enough gas fuel to run. Pump in the tank needs replacing.

My son has a diesel for 10 years and he too has seen green gas hoses in Texas... but most all green are diesel. I just got side tracked and messed up. Got that issue solved and now oil in radiator issue. Been busy away selling calves. More issues now. Using my 93 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. It's now running erratic and I'm at a private shop and we bled the outlet and inlet fuel lines at the carb and it's barely getting enough gas fuel to run. Pump in the tank needs replacing.

my Ecodiesel truck with the oil cooler/water problem was manufactured 10/14; bought it December 29th / 14. It's 5 days now that the dealer has it and they have all parts in ready to start the work ...except the oil cooler. It's on national back order so they supposedly found one at a dealer but it hasn't arrived yet.