• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AEM Flash Review

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
So I haven't seen anyone open a dedicated thread for this but Ill post my thoughts of the flash below and feel free to add your experiences below.

2016 Ram Ecodiesel:
I received the flash 6 days ago. In that time I have had a chance to drive my truck under many circumstances including around town, and on the highway.
Yes. The truck performs significantly worse than it did before.
When rolling after a sharp turn in my neighborhood, coming out of the turn at ~10-15mph and speeding up to 40, I put my foot down to throttle it to ~40%. The truck seems like it doesn't get up, but VERY gradually speeds up and eventually some how goes to VERY high RPMs.

When rolling ~40mph and stepping on the gas there is an EXTREMELY noticeable turbo lag ~2.5 seconds.

Running from start seems to be okay. Slower than before but adequate.

If I would have test driven the truck running this way from the dealer, there is no way I would have bought it.

My bottom line: Don't do the AEM unless:
1. You're okay with this preformance
or
2. You have an ECM to swap or the money to tune immediately after.

Good luck guys!

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
So I haven't seen anyone open a dedicated thread for this but Ill post my thoughts of the flash below and feel free to add your experiences below.

2016 Ram Ecodiesel:
I received the flash 6 days ago. In that time I have had a chance to drive my truck under many circumstances including around town, and on the highway.
Yes. The truck performs significantly worse than it did before.
When rolling after a sharp turn in my neighborhood, coming out of the turn at ~10-15mph and speeding up to 40, I put my foot down to throttle it to ~40%. The truck seems like it doesn't get up, but VERY gradually speeds up and eventually some how goes to VERY high RPMs.

When rolling ~40mph and stepping on the gas there is an EXTREMELY noticeable turbo lag ~2.5 seconds.

Running from start seems to be okay. Slower than before but adequate.

If I would have test driven the truck running this way from the dealer, there is no way I would have bought it.

My bottom line: Don't do the AEM unless:
1. You're okay with this preformance
or
2. You have an ECM to swap or the money to tune immediately after.

Good luck guys!
I'm seeing comparable degradation in performance; I got mine done just before Memorial Day. As noted, I've encountered overall sluggishness and turbo lag as well. When pulling my camper over the Holiday weekend (which was one reason I BOUGHT it - because it handled it like it wasn't even behind me prior to the AEM update), it's now pulling it about as poorly as my 2000 Quad-Cab with the 360 V8 did. When I get my settlement check ($3075) and reimbursed for a cracked EGR cooler (now covered under the extended warranty; $2740 out of my pocket) I'm going to go for the GDE tune. JMHO, YMMV. (Just My Humble Opinion; Your Mileage May Vary. ;-) )

mikeboztx

Jul 1, 2016
Truck Year
Ditto on above. I hate it now. Get my money and trade it (2016). MMM what are you doing to get money back from EGR cooler repair. I had to get 2 O2 sensors replaced on extended warranty and made me pay $100 copay at 40K. Took them 2 weeks and was just glad to get it back or I would have bitched about the copay.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I'm seeing comparable degradation in performance; I got mine done just before Memorial Day. As noted, I've encountered overall sluggishness and turbo lag as well. When pulling my camper over the Holiday weekend (which was one reason I BOUGHT it - because it handled it like it wasn't even behind me prior to the AEM update), it's now pulling it about as poorly as my 2000 Quad-Cab with the 360 V8 did. When I get my settlement check ($3075) and reimbursed for a cracked EGR cooler (now covered under the extended warranty; $2740 out of my pocket) I'm going to go for the GDE tune. JMHO, YMMV. (Just My Humble Opinion; Your Mileage May Vary. ;-) )
amazing, my experience is exactly the same, (except my EGR cracked at 90K and was covered under warranty) almost seems to be in limp mode. Ill do the same, use the check to get the GDE hot tune.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Ditto on above. I hate it now. Get my money and trade it (2016). MMM what are you doing to get money back from EGR cooler repair. I had to get 2 O2 sensors replaced on extended warranty and made me pay $100 copay at 40K. Took them 2 weeks and was just glad to get it back or I would have bitched about the copay.
Look into Green Diesel Engineering, 699.00 better than new.

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
Kind of a problem either way from what I understand. The AEM comes with poor performance and an extended warranty. Keeping your truck as is (and opting out of the AEM) forgoes the extended warranty. Is this correct?

- EM

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Mike - I'm still pestering FCA about my reimbursement for the EGR cooler - as noted, $2740 or so bucks. I've sent in scans of the work order and the paid receipt, and every time I call and pester them, they insist they have everything needed for my reimbursement, but the assigned 'case worker' has to approve and process it. (I don't understand why it needs to be 'approved' as it's CLEARLY specified as covered under the settlement/extended warranty.) I'm also still awaiting the $3075 for the settlement as well; I will be going with either the Green Diesel Engineering tune, or the other new one (SofaKingTune) that's getting some attention in these threads after I have all my money back in my hand. :cautious:

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
The
Kind of a problem either way from what I understand. The AEM comes with poor performance and an extended warranty. Keeping your truck as is (and opting out of the AEM) forgoes the extended warranty. Is this correct?

- EM
The extended warranty is a joke, I’m buying an aftermarket extended warranty, that covers much more. And getting the GDE tune.

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks much Ramman. I'd really like to hear details and / or get a link from you on the aftermarket warranty you mentioned.

- EM

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks much Ramman. I'd really like to hear details and / or get a link from you on the aftermarket warranty you mentioned.

- EM
It’s 250 down and 85 a month, not bad when it comes time to replace the turbo or the timing chain. Adds another 100k and 50k Miles. I’ll post the link in a few minutes.

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
It’s 250 down and 85 a month, not bad when it comes time to replace the turbo or the timing chain. Adds another 100k and 50k Miles. I’ll post the link in a few minutes.

The new warranty covers the turbo though?

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
I like this aftermarket warranty idea and the costs seem reasonable for someone that uses their truck as a daily driver, I do not. My truck sits a lot and just doesn't get used frequently enough to justify this. However, I still don't like the idea of "suffering" with performance and economy losses after the AEM just to have an extended warranty. I guess this is the factory's way of roping owners into something so they can say they have covered their bases.

- EM

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Yes! I can’t seem to paste a link. And the cam issue.
I like this aftermarket warranty idea and the costs seem reasonable for someone that uses their truck as a daily driver, I do not. My truck sits a lot and just doesn't get used frequently enough to justify this. However, I still don't like the idea of "suffering" with performance and economy losses after the AEM just to have an extended warranty. I guess this is the factory's way of roping owners into something so they can say they have covered their bases.

- EM
but the extended warranty only covers emissions components.
I have 103k on mine in 2.5 years.
No problems except egr crack covered under extended warranty.
But going forward I’m nervous.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year

I still owe 34k

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
Wow. That's a lot of miles and a great track record for sure. I hope the rest of your ownership goes that well.

- EM

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year

This is not true at all. Did you even read the list of what the new warranty covers?
Fuel System, Turbo, all emissions components and there was some engine parts covered as well. I don't have the sheet infront of me but it's a good warranty. For Free. Forget $85/month.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
it doesn't cover the main bearings or tranny. I wouldn't worry about the tranny but the engine I would. I know where Patrity is coming from and if this was a hemi I would blow off the warranty. But, its an eco so I would not - spend the 85 bucks.

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
it doesn't cover the main bearings or tranny. I wouldn't worry about the tranny but the engine I would. I know where Patrity is coming from and if this was a hemi I would blow off the warranty. But, its an eco so I would not - spend the 85 bucks.

For $85/month we could all just say screw it and trade up to a cummins lol.