• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension Problems

tom martley

Nov 6, 2016
Truck Year
Rear air suspension failure. Failed in August, 2018. Both rear shocks went down, compressor ran constantly, would not regain ride height. Took it to dealer, they refilled with nitrogen, said problem was vehicle sitting to long without use. BS. Said they could not find problem. Looks like problem exists in warm weather as well as cold. I have always had F150 Fords, looks like I will be going back

2014 Laramie Longhorn, Ecodiesel, 4 corner air suspension, crew cab, short box, 23,000 miles.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I was in at the dealer for an oil change, some minor work recently and discussed the air suspension problem.
Their current fix with the brake line antifreeze seems to be working, they said they did not have a single return for any of the trucks they treated. (And they indicated they had allot of trucks in with the same problem, due to the extreme weather we had over the past winter)
I will take mine back in September to have the treatment done and will get all the details on what they are doing and let you all know.

In the meantime I am having them route the compressor vent into the truck box (as I have a canopy) and will install large desiccant dryer cartridge just under the box lip with the canopy and let you all know how that goes.

At least it looks like there is some hope to try to maintain these systems no thanks to F/C who seems content to ignor the problem.

Final update: Desiccant filter worked well over the summer and I have gone with the brake line antifreeze in the air bags for the winter (desiccant filters will freeze over the winter months being not effective). My dealer indicated that they did not have any of the trucks back in with suspension problems after the brake line antifreeze additions to the system, so here is hoping that this problem is solved!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Final update: Desiccant filter worked well over the summer and I have gone with the brake line antifreeze in the air bags for the winter (desiccant filters will freeze over the winter months being not effective). My dealer indicated that they did not have any of the trucks back in with suspension problems after the brake line antifreeze additions to the system, so here is hoping that this problem is solved!

Good info! Thanks for sharing!

Joe 27

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year

How did they add the brake line antifreeze?

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
The dealer has to open each air bag, add the brake line antifreeze, re-seal the system, evacuate and add the nitrogen back to the system. It was a $ 250.00 CDN cost not too expensive compared to replacing the compressor! I had that done last year and I am down in MX for the next few months but have had no problems since doing the two air suspension fixes, it once again rides like it is supposed to, no thanks to FC who did nothing. I have a great dealer and service manger who was will to go the extra mile to solve the problem.

Joe 27

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
The dealer has to open each air bag, add the brake line antifreeze, re-seal the system, evacuate and add the nitrogen back to the system. It was a $ 250.00 CDN cost not too expensive compared to replacing the compressor! I had that done last year and I am down in MX for the next few months but have had no problems since doing the two air suspension fixes, it once again rides like it is supposed to, no thanks to FC who did nothing. I have a great dealer and service manger who was will to go the extra mile to solve the problem.
I talked to a dealer about airbrake antifreeze and they said it wouldn't work, because its a closed system.
Gonna try a different dealer

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I can tell you that ever truck they have done this on has never returned to the dealer with a air system failure.
If they tell you it's a closed system ask them why the compressor vent is vented to the atmosphere with no proper desiccant air filtration on that line! This system needs to be re-worked to operate in the cold, a defect from FC that they do want talk about or fix. They need to install a heated desiccant air system on that vent line to prevent moisture from getting into the system.
It should never be sold to anyone in cold climate until it is properly re-engineered. I have had other dealers tell me they have never seen this problem and I can tell you that is pure BS in northern Alberta it is a common problem and a very expensive problem to fix once your compresser is shot.
My experience was re-evacuated the system and recharge (lasted one week), failed again while on the road required a new compresser, re-evacuation and nitrogen recharge, replace one rear air bag and spring that broke and punctured the bag due to having to drive the truck with the system not working.
I went with the re-routing the compressor vent to the truck box, installed a desiccant air filter and ran that through to the fall. I went back to my dealer in Sept/18 to find out how the brake line antifreeze fix had worked on the other trucks and he reported that none had returned with any air suspension problems, so I did their fix also. (The reason I did their fix also is that my desiccant filter will freeze up in the extreme cold and I did not want a failure. So far so good!)
Do not get me wrong it's a great system when it works but very expensive if does not which is the same as the the second defective system the pollution control system that functions very well at HWY speed but not so good at low speed driving ie: city driving!

Eagle eye

Jan 31, 2016
I HAD a 2015, the summer of 2018 I took it in to have the air suspension fixed, the dealer told me that they never fail, I must have done something to cause problems. Anyway they purged it, could find no leaks sent me on my way. 1 week later it was back down on the axel, I took it in 4 more time, they had it 7 total weeks. I finally traded it back to the dealer for a regular suspension Ecodiesel. It is still sitting in their repair lot, 3 months later. Mine failed during the summer, my sons 2014 has also failed 2 times but seems to be working now.

Richard Bays

May 30, 2016
Truck Year
Well here we go with replacement of the defective Fiat / Chrysler air suspension system, $ 2,400.00 later and I am sure the problem will not be fixed because it is defective design from Fiat/Chrysler that can not withstand cold weather and fails consistantly any time the air temperature is below 0 C or 32 F. Dealer is replacing the valve box and compressor and they claim there is no control problem!
I have asked the question; are the replacement parts upgraded, redesigned or just the same old original defective parts and I am told they are the original parts no upgrades that they know of!
It just totally amazes me how a system can operate properly for 3/4 of the year then have these failures but when I drive south for the winter and get in the warmer climate it operates perfectly! How can a valve system and compressor fail and then magically repare themselves and function properly for another 3/4 of a year. In my mechanical experience when valves and compressors fail they are done for and can not be operated or am I missing something here.
I do not understand how there is no Electronic control (ECU) or some type of sensor failure when the system fails, I lose suspension and lose cruise control and mechanical failures just do not fix themselves.
Fiat / Chrysler needs to address this system DEFECT!
My advise to anyone living in an area where temperatures can drop below 0 C / 32 F for extended periods of time
TO NEVER BUY THIS TRUCK WITH A FIAT / CHRYSLER AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEMS.
Don't get me wrong the truck is great, the diesel is a marvel but I wish I had a standard suspension package and I would be a very happy camper.
I will advise how the replacements have functioned as it's going to - 20 C here over the next week!
I've had the same issue, alleged to be caused by water freezing in the system. Best fix is don't use it on warmer days if you know its going to be getting colder, below freezing. The warmer the air, the higher its moisture content. Once it is very cold then, a down followed by an up will fill it with very dry air, just leave it at normal height and wait till the temperature is back above zero. No real fix except an air dryer.

Angelo

Jan 30, 2019
Truck Year
Has anyone figured out anyway to fix this issue without the dealerships help, they want $4000 cause apparently "my motor blew" for a second time in 12 months. Temperature where I live is currently -30 but even when its -5 I get a "immediate air suspension service required". At the moment the truck is stuck in aerodynamic mode but the rear driver side is all the way down and it's quite noticeable when driving. If anyone has any suggestions or anyway of fixing this issue could you let me know please, I want to avoid the stealership if possible. Thanks

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
You likely need or will soon need a 40amp low profile fuse, get it into a heated garage, let everything get up to temperature. Replace the f5? Air suspension compressor fuse if it's blown. Get the system to air up properly to normal position. Then Remove the fuse until spring.

hunter2016

Jan 30, 2019
Truck Year
I am crossing my fingers, I am in the third winter, just finished 4 days below zero the last two were 32 - 35 degrees below zero and still no problems. Thanks for the info on a possible fix if it does crap out.

Michigankkw

Feb 12, 2019
Truck Year
Hi - new to forum. Purchased used 2015 during the summer, and just started getting the immediate suspension message. I live in Michigan, and we just had a batch of weather below 0° F. The message started when it was 22°F. My truck is from Canada. As a single female, I'm always suspicious when a dealership tells me I need an expensive repair, because I don't have enough mechanical knowledge. Ive read this string, so my question is, how do I know if my compressor really is blown? I have an appointment at a dealership in 2 days. Truck is still riding as smooth as ever. On highway, it hit aero mode fine, and then disengaged it appropriately when I got back on regular roads. I'm not seeing or feeling any problems with the suspension. Does this sound like a blown fuse? If the compressor was shot, wouldn't the system not be functioning at all? Should I just ask to get the brake line antifreeze option? I just don't want to have the dealer tell me I need a $4,000 fix, and have no way of knowing if that's really true.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Dealer just told me 2300 for a compressor assembly and bag. Extended Warranty won't cover the compressor which is lovely, stating it's not failed because it's not complete failure. Anyways compressor assembly is 530$ online. Even dealer install, nitrogen charge antifreeze, etc was only about 300. Dealer listed 1200 for compressor assembly. Typical.

Basically if it's a cold climate, the valve block will get rust freeze and stick, compressor will overwork and overheat, throwing the codes. If the light ever comes on red, not amber, and your suspension bottoms out, rides like crap, your f5 fuse is likely blown. If you have the luxury of a heated garage you can usually milk it along with a few good thaws throughout the winter.
Or replace the system

B-Gibbs

Feb 13, 2019
Truck Year
I can tell you that ever truck they have done this on has never returned to the dealer with a air system failure.
If they tell you it's a closed system ask them why the compressor vent is vented to the atmosphere with no proper desiccant air filtration on that line! This system needs to be re-worked to operate in the cold, a defect from FC that they do want talk about or fix. They need to install a heated desiccant air system on that vent line to prevent moisture from getting into the system.
It should never be sold to anyone in cold climate until it is properly re-engineered. I have had other dealers tell me they have never seen this problem and I can tell you that is pure BS in northern Alberta it is a common problem and a very expensive problem to fix once your compresser is shot.
My experience was re-evacuated the system and recharge (lasted one week), failed again while on the road required a new compresser, re-evacuation and nitrogen recharge, replace one rear air bag and spring that broke and punctured the bag due to having to drive the truck with the system not working.
I went with the re-routing the compressor vent to the truck box, installed a desiccant air filter and ran that through to the fall. I went back to my dealer in Sept/18 to find out how the brake line antifreeze fix had worked on the other trucks and he reported that none had returned with any air suspension problems, so I did their fix also. (The reason I did their fix also is that my desiccant filter will freeze up in the extreme cold and I did not want a failure. So far so good!)
Do not get me wrong it's a great system when it works but very expensive if does not which is the same as the the second defective system the pollution control system that functions very well at HWY speed but not so good at low speed driving ie: city driving!
What dealership do you deal with?

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
What dealership do you deal with?
Give me your corporate e-mail address and I will send you the service managers e- mail address to contact him with. I just do not want to put his contact information on line without asking him first and I am out the country for a few months.

B-Gibbs

Feb 13, 2019
Truck Year
Give me your corporate e-mail address and I will send you the service managers e- mail address to contact him with. I just do not want to put his contact information on line without asking him first and I am out the country for a few months.
I understand. [email protected]

SixpacMacK

Mar 4, 2019
Truck Year
HELP.
2014 Ram with air ride, down on stops. Live near Edmonton Alberta Canada. Need a dealership that can think outside of corporate BS.
Bob S.. can you provide me with contact info. On dealership you found. My email is [email protected].