• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best full syn for 2014 4x4 eco

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
New team member. I've been using 5-30 full syn every 7500k under normal conditions. What's your best rec on brand?

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
5w40 is the new spec ! That sad part is Rotella t6 or the penz 5w30 is not a true synthetic!! It a hydro cracked petroleum aka group 3. Group 4 and Group 5 are true synthetics. I switched to a group 4 and temps dropped and fuel economy average went up by 3mpg!!

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
5w40 is the new spec ! That sad part is Rotella t6 or the penz 5w30 is not a true synthetic!! It a hydro cracked petroleum aka group 3. Group 4 and Group 5 are true synthetics. I switched to a group 4 and temps dropped and fuel economy average went up by 3mpg!!

Dear Pooky. So then what brand is a true Group 4 or 5? I used Rotella T6 last change. Would like to try your recommendation. Cheers, Capt Tim

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Dear Pooky. So then what brand is a true Group 4 or 5? I used Rotella T6 last change. Would like to try your recommendation. Cheers, Capt Tim
Amsoil Signature Series 5w 40 it meets all specs for warranty. Sucks is the mopar oil filter costs so much but is a good non-paper filter! Amsoil signature series is a group 4 pao true synthetic. My mileage over 3 tanks has improved nicely!

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
I'll try almost anything for more MPGs, but really, with the GDE tune, I'm pushing at least 28 MPG empty and around 18-19 towing a cattle trailer. The heat is the issue for me. I've been hitting 239ish while towing and am a little worried. It seems to go down if I DON'T use the powerservice diesel kleen fuel additive. Could this be related? Also, what kind of Amsoil is for diesel engines?

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I'll try almost anything for more MPGs, but really, with the GDE tune, I'm pushing at least 28 MPG empty and around 18-19 towing a cattle trailer. The heat is the issue for me. I've been hitting 239ish while towing and am a little worried. It seems to go down if I DON'T use the powerservice diesel kleen fuel additive. Could this be related? Also, what kind of Amsoil is for diesel engines?
Please keep us posted on your temp issue!!! What ambient air temp is it outside when your hitting those temps? Is it oil and coolant running that hot? What weight loads and is it hilly? Call powerservice tech line and ask if that is an issue with their product (higher engine temps!! ).
The group 4 true synthetic is [ 5 W 40 AMSOIL SIGNATURE SERIES]!!! The truck will run cooler ! I am curious if you are running the BIO DIESEL BLEND?? I'm in Mn and all diesel has it in it here. It does burn hotter and can damage injectors because of the lack of lubricity! I run over to ND when I can to get real fuel when I can! If you run bio you need to run the powerservice or the Amsoil product to give the fuel the lube it needs! Ask the shop what are safe and normal temps??

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
I'm gonna switch to AMSOIL. It is what I use I my Harley - gonna use the 5-40 4 in ECO too!

Mr. Wehlage, could you elaborate on the GDE tune you mentioned? I'm trying to do tuner research for my 14 ECO.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Please keep us posted on your temp issue!!! What ambient air temp is it outside when your hitting those temps? Is it oil and coolant running that hot? What weight loads and is it hilly? Call powerservice tech line and ask if that is an issue with their product (higher engine temps!! ).
The group 4 true synthetic is [ 5 W 40 AMSOIL SIGNATURE SERIES]!!! The truck will run cooler ! I am curious if you are running the BIO DIESEL BLEND?? I'm in Mn and all diesel has it in it here. It does burn hotter and can damage injectors because of the lack of lubricity! I run over to ND when I can to get real fuel when I can! If you run bio you need to run the powerservice or the Amsoil product to give the fuel the lube it needs! Ask the shop what are safe and normal temps??
Pooky, I am an amsoil guy and I agree with your recommendation in that regard.

Where you lose all credibility with me, is when you profess straight diesel fuel has more inherent lubricity than does biodiesel. Infact, the opposite is true. While biodiesel may have some draw backs, the added lubricity is one of the benefits.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Pooky, I am an amsoil guy and I agree with your recommendation in that regard.

Where you lose all credibility with me, is when you profess straight diesel fuel has more inherent lubricity than does biodiesel. Infact, the opposite is true. While biodiesel may have some draw backs, the added lubricity is one of the benefits.
I would love to see lab proof of the lubricity or lack there of. I called Ram and asked the tech line why in the manual it says up to 5% biodiesel approved. In MN pumps have up to 20% Bio. They told me to avoid it but if I have to use it use an additive that adds lubricity. If you or anyone has proof I would love to see it. I am going with why our trucks say up to 5% bio only. I will dig and post if I find an answer! Drive Safe All

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I would love to see lab proof of the lubricity or lack there of. I called Ram and asked the tech line why in the manual it says up to 5% biodiesel approved. In MN pumps have up to 20% Bio. They told me to avoid it but if I have to use it use an additive that adds lubricity. If you or anyone has proof I would love to see it. I am going with why our trucks say up to 5% bio only. I will dig and post if I find an answer! Drive Safe All
Msp548 is correct regarding the lubricity of biodiesel!! It actually has 300 times the lubricity of ULow sulfur diesel!!! Little less energy but more lube! It seems to be a consensus that BD absorbs a lot more water than diesel. See what I get for checking only one source!! BD also has good cetane numbers so why does Ram want only 5% or less BD?? I will post if I can find a legitimate answer to that question. Thanks for the Correction MSP548!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm in Minnesota also so I get the Biodiesel business but I don't mind. Just went through the oil stuff in the service manual and got some interesting information. And the fuel filter interval has dropped from the original 30k to every other oil change 20k maximum.

I had been running 5-30 champion Blue flame synthetic for a while and was happy, I have 2 OA's on the shelf I just haven't gotten around to sending them in. I put t6 in last time for sheer convenience. Will probably send in all 3 when the t6 comes out soon.

Anyways i'll share some service manual business.
Screenshot_20170731-124841.jpg Screenshot_20170731-125014.jpg Screenshot_20170731-125053.jpg

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I am seriously looking at doing a full emissions delete! These rigs are a huge investment and I bought it for longevity and fuel economy! The emissions crap destroys both! Thanks for the info! I have never heard of that oil but I will read up on it!! Drive safe!!

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Awesome information. Just changed my fuel filter last t6 oil change. I am changing my oil every 7.5k and will be going with AMSOIL SigSer 5-400 next interval.

Any gouge on if there exists a Utube on DIY fuel filter change?

The post the gentlemen put on rear differential oil change was stellar!

Cheers, Capt Tim

I'm in Minnesota also so I get the Biodiesel business but I don't mind. Just went through the oil stuff in the service manual and got some interesting information. And the fuel filter interval has dropped from the original 30k to every other oil change 20k maximum.

I had been running 5-30 champion Blue flame synthetic for a while and was happy, I have 2 OA's on the shelf I just haven't gotten around to sending them in. I put t6 in last time for sheer convenience. Will probably send in all 3 when the t6 comes out soon.

Anyways i'll share some service manual business.
View attachment 1368 View attachment 1367 View attachment 1369

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Awesome information. Just changed my fuel filter last t6 oil change. I am changing my oil every 7.5k and will be going with AMSOIL SigSer 5-400 next interval.

Any gouge on if there exists a Utube on DIY fuel filter change?

The post the gentlemen put on rear differential oil change was stellar!

Cheers, Capt Tim
I could throw something together for the fuel filter change but I think Geno's garage has a youTube video of it because they built a couple tools for removal and draining.

Ps if that was my differential service thread thank you very much!