• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blown Eco Diesel engine

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Two weeks ago while driving down the highway, all of a sudden it sounded like someone had tossed a handful of marbles in my engine. Shut it down and had it towed to the dealership. After talking to the Service rep they said that the tech said that the engine was blown. The fix was a new motor. It was something to do with the "lower engine bearings". After a couple of days the Service rep is telling me that now they are tearing the engine down and sending pics back and forth to Chrysler. I am still waiting to hear back from them and I'm getting a little bit frustrated.

My question is has anyone had something like this happen to there Eco Diesel or dealt with Chrysler on this type of matter. I'm being told that this could go either way with an new motor or rebuilding the motor. Any thoughts??

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Two weeks ago while driving down the highway, all of a sudden it sounded like someone had tossed a handful of marbles in my engine. Shut it down and had it towed to the dealership. After talking to the Service rep they said that the tech said that the engine was blown. The fix was a new motor. It was something to do with the "lower engine bearings". After a couple of days the Service rep is telling me that now they are tearing the engine down and sending pics back and forth to Chrysler. I am still waiting to hear back from them and I'm getting a little bit frustrated.

My question is has anyone had something like this happen to there Eco Diesel or dealt with Chrysler on this type of matter. I'm being told that this could go either way with an new motor or rebuilding the motor. Any thoughts??

From what I've seen here on on our facebook page, usually they put in a new motor and then the dealer just sends the old one back and usually the customer doesn't know what happen to it.

If you're still under warranty, I would fully expect a new motor.

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
That is what she said on Saturday. Then on Tuesday she told me that Chrysler wanted them to tear it down and find out what caused the problem at the dealership. They have been sending pics to Chrysler and they keep going back and forth on what the problem is. That is when she brought up the possibility of Chrysler having them rebuild the motor.
Was just wondering if this has been something that has been a problem or just in a handful of engines since it is still fairly new. Will just keep my fingers crossed that this is resolved sooner rather than later. Love the truck.

Thanks for any help.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
That is what she said on Saturday. Then on Tuesday she told me that Chrysler wanted them to tear it down and find out what caused the problem at the dealership. They have been sending pics to Chrysler and they keep going back and forth on what the problem is. That is when she brought up the possibility of Chrysler having them rebuild the motor.
Was just wondering if this has been something that has been a problem or just in a handful of engines since it is still fairly new. Will just keep my fingers crossed that this is resolved sooner rather than later. Love the truck.

Thanks for any help.

This is the first I've heard of this.. Perhaps it's something that may be more common for the future. Hopefully not.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Everything I've read is just replace replace replace. But now maybe FCA is actually trying to figure out the causes, whether a failure do to design or manufacture, and remedy them instead of a quick (relative term lol) and quiet engine replacement?

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Let's just wait and see. I will be contacting them tomorrow for an answer and if nothing from them I think I will get in contact with Chrysler to push things along. A waiting game I guess.

Thanks again.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Get a loaner in the meantime?

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Yes it is a Hemi. Fuel mileage is terrible. The sad part is no hitch for towing the boat. That will have to wait I guess.
Heard from a Chrysler rep today after I opened a claim with them yesterday. Seems all they wanted to do was blame the dealership for the slow response. Let them know that it was not them as they were ready to drop a new motor in and that it was Chrysler slowing this down. Let her know that someone needed to give me an answer as to when things were going to be done. I am not in the mood to have this drag out for any length of time. Just want to get the boat back in the water.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
No hitch? Can't you just grab the ball from your truck?

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
I think he means no receiver...common for them to be removed on loaners and rentals. I can't imagine why ;)

I imagine it's a liability issue, of some sort.

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Heard back from the dealer today. Chrysler has approved a new motor for my truck. Still don't know what happened as all I got was a voicemail from them. Hoping to find out more tomorrow. They have the motor at the dealership, but they have to wait for the gaskets to show up (they are coming from Italy). Hopefully that won't take to long. Glad this is now heading in the right direction.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Reads like your case is moving along faster than a few others I read about.

That's no comfort to you and probably, there is only the comfort that something is being done to make it less difficult.

Sure hope it works out and soon.

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Received the call yesterday that my truck is ready. Will pick up today. All she could tell me as far as the problem was it was the lower engine bearing that spun out. Brand new engine installed along with a new turbo. Apparently that was also showing signs of damage.

I will have more later when I pick it up and have a complete list of what they did.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
4week turnaround is pretty good. I hope she is problem free and drives great.