• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Class action lawsuit regarding Engine Replacement

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Seems like these engines need to be worked hard regularly to get things hot enough for soot to burn off and clear the DPF. Since I live in Denver area, I go up I-70 into the mountains somewhat regularly in addition to the periodic road trips - seems to help keep soot burned off.

Mine is a 2015 Laramie 4x4 with 155k mi on it. So far, I've had the tone wheel and EGR cooler recalls done. While in for the EGR, the HPFP recall was open and the dealer was unable to complete it - "no remedy available". HPFP still going but have been putting in fuel additive every time since purchased at 26kmi. Nothing fancy, just Power Service and Howe's. Also, been running a tune for cleaner running and better MPG since about 98k mi. With exception of tune and intake silencer/muffler delete (Banks metal intake tube), the truck is stock. Hope to make the high mile list, we'll see...

BlownEcoDieselMotor

Feb 24, 2024
Truck Year
I would be willing to head up filing a class action suit regarding engine replacement. I am wondering how many people out there have had engine replacement issues or extremely high cost to replace the motor. How many people are there that would join this???
My 2016 EcoDiesel motor just failed and they are telling me $25K to replace. I have reached out to FCA to see what there remedy might be. At this point, I would seriously consider joining any class action. No light use engine should ever fail at 82k miles.

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
Here's a list of some success stories. RussellandCissy has 433,323 miles on his stock truck, so that should give you some hope. Tyler_R should be turning 500,000 miles by the end of March. If so, that will be two trucks that have made it a half million miles.

300,000 Mile Club
Andrew A. - 321,000 miles (engine and truck) - Still in Operation
Geno21 - 338,000 miles (engine, transmission, and truck) - Still in Operation

350,000 Mile Club
Another - 351,813 miles (engine and truck) - Traded
VernDiesel - 371,000 miles (engine only) - EGR Cooler/Head Gasket Failure

400,000 Mile Club
Ramdriver501 (truck #1) - 410,000 miles (engine and truck) - Totaled
VernDiesel - 423,000 miles (engine) - Cracked Head
RussellandCissy - 433,323 miles (engine and truck) - Still in Operation

450,000 Mile Club
James (non-forum member) - 452,000 miles (engine) - HPFP Failure
Tyler_R - 487,789 miles (engine and truck) - Still in Operation

500,000 Mile Club

Muzzerall - 517,403 miles (engine, transmission, and truck) - Unknown
Thats awesome to see! Whats the secret if your keeping these trucks stock? Did you ever clean your EGR?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Thats awesome to see! Whats the secret if your keeping these trucks stock? Did you ever clean your EGR?
It really depends on how the trucks are driven. Most of these high mileage trucks live on the highway, so even a stock truck will last 200,000 miles without any significant repairs. My 2015 is a daily driver, so I'm much harder on the emissions system. It still has the factory intake at 119,000 miles, but I've had the EGR cooler replaced twice, and the DEF pump replaced once, otherwise, the truck has been running fine even though it idles a lot, tows a lot, and does a lot of short trips.

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
It really depends on how the trucks are driven. Most of these high mileage trucks live on the highway, so even a stock truck will last 200,000 miles without any significant repairs. My 2015 is a daily driver, so I'm much harder on the emissions system. It still has the factory intake at 119,000 miles, but I've had the EGR cooler replaced twice, and the DEF pump replaced once, otherwise, the truck has been running fine even though it idles a lot, tows a lot, and does a lot of short trips.
Thanks for the reply. It's my daily driver also and I make sure to get it up to highway speeds weekly and do long daily trips with it. But I also do the M-F 15 minute commute to work with it. I add the Hot Shop fuel additive with every diesel gas fill up and double up on maintenance (oil change every 5k). This Fuel Pump recall is whats killing me. How long does RAM get to make the repairs? Its crazy that I purchased it in 2022 and still no fix. I can't even trade it in without being told "because of the recall, we can only give you 22k". Thats just nuts. I love this truck and it just seems like a gamble to keep it. It feels like a 50/50 chance things will be ok or go wrong.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
This Fuel Pump recall is whats killing me.
Don't worry about the HPFP. It's the least of your worries. Keep putting good fuel in the truck with Hot Shot's EDT and you'll be fine.

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
Don't worry about the HPFP. It's the least of your worries. Keep putting good fuel in the truck with Hot Shot's EDT and you'll be fine.
Thank you. Just might be worth it to give it a shot. Why not at this point. Appreciate the advice very much. Your kindness is a blessing in a world of assholes behind keyboards.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Thank you. Just might be worth it to give it a shot. Why not at this point. Appreciate the advice very much. Your kindness is a blessing in a world of assholes behind keyboards.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm optimistic by nature, but I also try to stick to the facts and make decisions based on reality and not emotion.

My 2020 EcoDiesel is now available for the recall, but I'm not going to add my name to the list until this summer. Once my name is added to the list, I don't anticipate the recall being completed until sometime next year. It's hard to say how long before the recall will be available for my 2015 EcoDiesel. From all of the high mileage vehicles I listed, only one had a HPFP failure, and that happened at 452,000 miles. They key is to keep good clean fuel in the truck. So, make sure you trust your fuel source.

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
Thank you for the kind words. I'm optimistic by nature, but I also try to stick to the facts and make decisions based on reality and not emotion.

My 2020 EcoDiesel is now available for the recall, but I'm not going to add my name to the list until this summer. Once my name is added to the list, I don't anticipate the recall being completed until sometime next year. It's hard to say how long before the recall will be available for my 2015 EcoDiesel. From all of the high mileage vehicles I listed, only one had a HPFP failure, and that happened at 452,000 miles. They key is to keep good clean fuel in the truck. So, make sure you trust your fuel source.
Will do!

kimdk123

Feb 22, 2024
Truck Year
2018 Ram Ecodiesel 54,000 miles, engine blew up. Ram put in new engine & gave 2 year warranty. 3.5 years and 73,000 more miles. The truck shut down, no notice, Low Oil Pressure. I checked the oil it was fine. I started the truck up, drove 1 mile, it quit again, said Electronic Throttle Control. I waited a few minutes, started it up, drove 300 yards turned it off. Had it towed, they said lots of factory recalls, it has to get towed to Ram dealership. Does anyone know if this is leading to another blown engine? I have a 2003 Ram 3500 diesel that still runs great at 212,000. Only problems that we had were computer and wiring issues and the body is rusting away.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
The truck shut down, no notice, Low Oil Pressure. I checked the oil it was fine. I started the truck up, drove 1 mile, it quit again, said Electronic Throttle Control. I waited a few minutes, started it up, drove 300 yards turned it off. Had it towed, they said lots of factory recalls, it has to get towed to Ram dealership. Does anyone know if this is leading to another blown engine?
You need to pull the codes, otherwise it's all a guessing game. The codes will tell you what's going on.

upatree

Mar 29, 2021
Truck Year
I would be willing to head up filing a class action suit regarding engine replacement. I am wondering how many people out there have had engine replacement issues or extremely high cost to replace the motor. How many people are there that would join this???
sign me up my engine cost 18000 to replace

riderlee

Mar 6, 2024
Truck Year
My 2017 EcoDiesel blew up at 17,605 miles. I bought it in December 2022 with 8k miles from a friend that bought it new and had the local dealer maintain it. He developed dementia and the truck was driven to the dumps every 2 weeks by his wife until he sold it to me. Tried to get "good will" but I didn't have enough "loyalty points", so I'd be into the lawsuit. Definitely a defective product.

Biff1330

Apr 2, 2024
Truck Year
Mine went 3 weeks ago. 116,000 km and I am the 2nd owner so not covered under warranty. My quote from the local Chrysler dealership was
I just had my engine go at 116,00 km and because I am the 2nd owned it is not covered under warranty. The local dealership quoted me $50757.95 cdn. The they charged me $454.94 for diagnostics. I would be in

wchudgins

Apr 8, 2024
Truck Year
My 2016 EcoDiesel motor just failed and they are telling me $25K to replace. I have reached out to FCA to see what there remedy might be. At this point, I would seriously consider joining any class action. No light use engine should ever fail at 82k miles.
I joined this forum for this purpose. Also have a 2016 EcoDiesel at 111k miles with a blown engine caused by a bad rod bearing. The oil had just been changed 6 weeks prior along with $4k in a complete brake and emergency brake job. Also telling me that it will be $25k to replace the engine. I've been told that it's 50/50 of whether these engines will fail between 80k and 120k miles. Dodge Customer Care responded that Dodge will not provide any compensation for the failure. Would like to participate in a class-action case!

wchudgins

Apr 8, 2024
Truck Year
Mine went 3 weeks ago. 116,000 km and I am the 2nd owner so not covered under warranty. My quote from the local Chrysler dealership was

I just had my engine go at 116,00 km and because I am the 2nd owned it is not covered under warranty. The local dealership quoted me $50757.95 cdn. The they charged me $454.94 for diagnostics. I would be in
Count me in. 2016 EcoDiesel blew up at 111k miles from a bad rod bearing.

creagin

Mar 24, 2024
Truck Year
I’ve got a 2016 1500 Limited EcoDiesel with 115K on it. I put the GDE flash on it when it had 10K on it. I have kept up with all the updates through the years. The truck has been flawless. Never been to the service department for anything other than service and recalls. Looks and drives like it’s new.

ticked off

Apr 24, 2024
Truck Year
I'm with you.
Just had my 2015 with 145k miles self destruct. Ram cares denied any assistance stating vehicle age, and 145k miles..........on a diesel engine.
On top of the engine failure, I have had to replace 1 front stabilizer, front differential (rusted at the axle hubs), both front CV axles (3 times). This has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned.
Know it's 2 years after your post, but looking at this thread there is plenty of us in this situation.