• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
After a year off heavy tow duty I finally had to see if old girl still had it. Miss the factory air suspension though.

What was your reason for getting rid of the factory air suspension?

I ordered the 2020 with the factory air suspension. The 2015 didn't have the factor air suspension, so I installed Timber Grove Air Spring Assist Mounts.

Ssb4ev7.jpg

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
What was your reason for getting rid of the factory air suspension?

I ordered the 2020 with the factory air suspension. The 2015 didn't have the factor air suspension, so I installed Timber Grove Air Spring Assist Mounts.

Ssb4ev7.jpg
It doesn't hold up in cold climates, it's a flawed system with no dryer. Vacuumed and nitrogen charged but atmospherically vented, so temp swings it brings in moisture which corrodes the valve body of the compressor, freeze thaw cycles and not fully seated valves constantly screws up the pump. First 2 years were great, 3 had one issue but after that it became a nightmare each winter, driving with 100% deflated bags (it's 100% air and shocks no internal spring). On bump stops, and winter roads to add to it it's legitimately unsafe driving. I've ripped apart sensors because it was dumped and went beyond the arms travel, 80-160$ a corner. Many many curse filled winters I finally had an uneventful year at the expense of limited payload. 50% increase Progressive rate coils are alright but still soft.

If you're in a very mild winter area probably okay, south golden, but I'm at the Canadian Border in Mn and it can't take the weeks of -20's and 5 month long winters.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
O.... Do support proper daily use that includes Towing and HWY use, its the DD and short trips that NO blueTech power plant will survive without major repairs before 150K miles or less.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
It doesn't hold up in cold climates

If you're in a very mild winter area probably okay, south golden, but I'm at the Canadian Border in Mn and it can't take the weeks of -20's and 5 month long winters.
Understandable. Reliability is important. I'm at a higher elevation, so we're in the single digits a lot of mornings, but we rarely see temps below -5*F. Our daytime temps get above freezing on most days.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
To Quote. From CF Forum..
an update. After a month or so of no code, it came back on and picked up right where it left off. When it came on it said 61 miles to 5mph max. This weekend i drained the def fluid in the case that it was the problem, and put in that new blue def platinum stuff, "whatever". anyway, when i tried to clear the code it said 6 miles left to limp mode. If it comes back on I may be in trouble. Here are the codes in case anyone knows more.

The code is P218F. : Reductant No Flow Detected

then secondary codes:

P202E : Reductant Injector Circuit Range/Performance
and P-249E : Closed Loop Reductant injection Control at Limit - Flow to high

tell me what you know if possible.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
To Quote. From CF Forum..
an update. After a month or so of no code, it came back on and picked up right where it left off. When it came on it said 61 miles to 5mph max. This weekend i drained the def fluid in the case that it was the problem, and put in that new blue def platinum stuff, "whatever". anyway, when i tried to clear the code it said 6 miles left to limp mode. If it comes back on I may be in trouble. Here are the codes in case anyone knows more.

The code is P218F. : Reductant No Flow Detected

then secondary codes:

P202E : Reductant Injector Circuit Range/Performance
and P-249E : Closed Loop Reductant injection Control at Limit - Flow to high

tell me what you know if possible.
If he has a clogged DEF injector, the injector needs to be cleaned or replaced before switching to Platinum. Platinum doesn't dissolve the deposits; it only prevents future deposits.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
He did that Prior...... He's now running DS will wait to see what happens.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
It would be interesting to know if it was Ram or Cummins who made the decision to go with the CP4 in the 2019 - 2020 trucks.
The bean counters

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Just thought this might be a tell tale sign that the CP4 is junk!?

The CP4.2 on the EcoDiesel is far from junk. According to internal investigations, it has a 1% failure rate. For reference, the engine has somewhere between a 10% - 15% failure rate.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The problem with CP4 (regardless of Ver) its unforgiving and very destructive unlike the CP3. Feed the CP4 with good lube and clean fuel it can reach 500K miles, why do I say that, because I have confirmed that on several CP4 replacements.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.
There is a recall on the tone ring, but my 2016 VIN isn’t included, it cost me $2200 to have my tone ring replaced, 4x4.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
There is a recall on the tone ring, but my 2016 VIN isn’t included, it cost me $2200 to have my tone ring replaced, 4x4.
I would contract Ram Cares to see if you can appeal it. If your tone wheel failed, that tells me it was one of the defective parts. My 2015 has 105,000 miles on it. So far, I haven't had the failure occur and I'm covered under the recall.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Interesting. Thought all 2014-16 were included
When you got to My Mopar the W58 is not listed for your VIN?

Enegron

Jul 5, 2022
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.
I just took my brother's truck apart same issue u had but for the life of me couldn't get how they would replace the tone ring so I didn't change it nor did I bother trying I thought it was part of the crankshaft and figured I was better off leaving it alone . Did they tell u how the tone ring was replaced? Is it really a magnetic tape I'm just thinking I may have to pull the whole Trans out again and c how to replace the dang thing

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
If I recall correctly it’s bolted to the crank and yes trans has to come out unfortunately

WayneB

May 3, 2020
Truck Year
My 2016 tone ring quit at 104k and it was not covered by the recall per vin list. talked with the service manager about goodwilling the thing for me and he approved it but it took almost 3 weeks to get an answer. I don't even want a replacement vehicle while its being fixed which to be quite honest could be another 3-4 weeks.. I just want it right when I get it back, no harm no foul.

After working as a tech with Chrysler for almost 30 years I still cant wrap my head around the inefficiency of the corp to get things done.

They know they have a problem
They know their patching things is not an effective method to take care of the issue
The only thing they are effectively doing is dragging their name in the mud with a lot of customers and looking like a bunch of morons in the process.
The money they think they are saving by not fixing all of them is costing them more in lost brand reputation... Im not an accountant, just makes sense to me.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Just thought this might be a tell tale sign that the CP4 is junk!?View attachment 3783
I just came to chat about this; I was having excess noise from my pump especially if below 1/4 tank like it was cavatating. Late winter after a few months running #1. This was back in February and I had the dealer order a pump, was supposed to be a week ended up being 3 months. I said screw it honestly wasn't worth (to me) throwing 3k out of pocket at a dealer replaced pump on a 150k mile engine that could be replaced with an oe crate motor for 8k. Dealer wasn't happy sitting on the part but whatever.

I started staying off the bottom 1/4 a little more and started adding my waste oil on occasion. Dump a quart or 2 of the used t6 into the fuel tank for lubricity. I've put about 17k on since that time and don't have pump noise anymore.

Was pleasantly surprised to see the recall letter show up aside from it stating there's no current fix available.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That pump is available at $550.00 and takes less than 1 hrs to Install. The Used Lube good for rotating surfaces, but over time it will create more Ash in The SCR, now of course if the SCR is missing its not a problem.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That pump is available at $550.00 and takes less than 1 hrs to Install. The Used Lube good for rotating surfaces, but over time it will create more Ash in The SCR, now of course if the SCR is missing its not a problem.
Yeaaaa ain't got one of those, my used oil isn't sooty bs. And it goes straight back into the clean 2.5 from the past oil change. Accounting for that and the pretty fine filtration of the ecodiesel's fuel filter I wasn't worried to much about causing injector issues unless I tried dumping it in a whole lot heavier rate.

Honestly I wasn't sure with it being cam driven what all went into replacement or if it had to be reprogrammed to the ecm which is a slight constraint having an original gde they won't touch. Maybe something that's in Alfaobd but of course I'd like to avoid it if possible