• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

Dec 8, 2020
Truck Year
I just got the code PO336 on my 2015 eco diesel, 155000km, dead … vehicle won’t start.
Looks like I’m shelling out.
Had the full egr, dpf, def delete and truck was running better than, ever then this!!.
Is there any further information I should know?.
Thanks Guys

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Just checked FCA website and there is a recall on this issue.
I’ll be on the phone with them tomorrow.
If you've had the AEM emissions recall, the tone wheel recall is W58. It flashes new software to allow your truck to keep running if the tone wheel fails. It does not repair anything.
If you did not get the AEM emissions recall the tone wheel recall is W68. It replaces your existing tone wheel with a good one.

In your case, if you had the AEM recall you also got a 48 month warranty that covers the crankshaft sensor. If your tone wheel failure also took out that sensor, which it often does, your repairs are covered except you will have to pay for the new tone wheel

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Interested in how that'll play out on a tuned and deleted truck.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Interested in how that'll play out on a tuned and deleted truck.
Tuned shouldn't be a problem, but deleted might be. I've read where warranty work was completed on a deleted truck but I believe most dealers and FCA would deny any warranty coverage. I have no sympathy for deleters, they are what brought and brings the EPA down on the industry. Deleting is the worst emissions violation mod ever.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well you're eliminating the emission controls all together so yes it's the 'worst mod ever'. I was trying to point out to the poster that by deleting you basically forego any interaction with dealerships regarding warranty work.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that the sensor is covered as part of the factory powertrain warranty? I've got 67k miles on my 2015 eco.
If you got the AEM Emissions recall done, you also got a 48month warranty that covers the sensor. If the tone wheel failure took out the sensor, which it often does, the entire fix is covered except you have to pay for the tone wheel.

If you didn't get the AEM recall done, you would have a W68 recall that replaces the tone wheel whenever you go to the dealer for the W68 recall.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

Attachments

• 008a-W58 Tone Wheel Failure-Completed.pdf
    211.1 KB · Views: 15

B.Ruck

Jul 12, 2021
Truck Year
Thank you for posting the service notice. Mine failed on me little less than a year ago. Had to pay to get it replaced. Is this something that I can get reimbursed for since it is now a recall? I still have the receipts and the broken parts that were replaced.

Will Padrick

Sep 16, 2019
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.
It happened to me two weeks ago. The dealership told me it would cost around $1200. I did some checking on the Internet and found two safety recalls (W68 & W58). I let the dealership know about the recalls, the final bill was $0.00.

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
This shows up on my extended warranty. Knock on wood that it will not happen to me, but that seems to be a pipe dream. 112k

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It happened to me two weeks ago. The dealership told me it would cost around $1200. I did some checking on the Internet and found two safety recalls (W68 & W58). I let the dealership know about the recalls, the final bill was $0.00.

It sounds like they wanted your $1200 then also send the bill to FCA. Double payment!

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
I just received this in the mail yesterday and wanted to share it. This warranty extension applies only to the Crankshaft Tone Wheel. So for those who had to pay out of pocket to get it fixed here is the opportunity to get reimbursed even if you have had the AEM modification.
Crankshaft Tone Wheel Warranty Extension.jpg

Betsy Smith

Nov 20, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed
Yep, that's the correct method, Knowledge is everything when its couple with understanding.

Even in this thread maybe its best if the 3.0VM stays home on long trips until VM comes up with a dependable fix. Back in 2016 I took My 3.0 to the Cabin in West Yellowstone in Aug, We stopped at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, after visiting friends in Dubois, I saw another Eco 3.0VM with the hood up at the Lodge and decided to Investigate and lend a Hand, I shared My Name and company, The owner mentioned He read many of My posts and said his entire Vacation is ruin because his Eco won't start, and the next closest dealership Is Jackson 58 miles away and not even able to look at it for 5 Days. I Pulled his Camper to West Yellowstone, and He and his wife rode in the Camper. He rented another truck from Bozeman MT. It was the tone ring and he flew to Jackson WY to Get His Truck, after returning Home with rental and Camper.
How nice you are!

dfishman139v

Mar 2, 2022
Truck Year
Finace has a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 she got the w58 software update done to the truck and like a month later the tone wheel takes crap and since the truck didn't fall under that recall ram wouldnt cover it so 2300 buck later got told and maybe in the possible future her truck would come out in the recall and i submit the paper work to get payed back. Anybody else have this problem

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
If the truck had the AEM recall (VO8 or VA7) it got a 48 month extended warranty.
That warranty covers the sensor. If the tone wheel failure took out the sensor, the whole job is covered. I have read where truck tone wheel failures did not take out the sensor, but were covered. There seems to be confusion over what is and what isn't. I have also read where parts and labor were covered and also where the customer had to pay for the tone wheel.
I suggest you escalate with Chrysler.

You might also want to switch dealers if yours doesn't know about the warranty, what is covered and doesn't try to get you covered. Also, 2300.00 for that job is more than what has been reported (as low as 1300.00). Then again, another owner was quoted 3500.00. Seems like 1400.00 is the right rate.

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Finace has a 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 she got the w58 software update done to the truck and like a month later the tone wheel takes crap and since the truck didn't fall under that recall ram wouldnt cover it so 2300 buck later got told and maybe in the possible future her truck would come out in the recall and i submit the paper work to get payed back. Anybody else have this problem
It should be covered regardless. Please see my post from Sept. 12, 2021. She should have received an extended warranty notice just for the Crankshaft tone wheel. At a minimum, if she had to pay out of pocket to have it fixed then FCA (Stellantis, now) is responsible to re-imburse those costs.

Rick b1014

Mar 2, 2022
Truck Year
if it does go, what other things is it affecting ? sensors ? fuel pump ? voltage drop ?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
if it does go, what other things is it affecting ? sensors ? fuel pump ? voltage drop ?
Motor dies no restart, dead crank position sensor so crank no start until diagnosis and transmission split for Repair. The tone wheel is cheap but sensor if damaged or just doing it while it's open was like 600$ as well.