• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Even in this thread maybe its best if the 3.0VM stays home on long trips until VM comes up with a dependable fix.

It's certainly a risk. We've towed our travel trailer through California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. The truck derate itself once when going over a mountain pass in Colorado and another time going over a mountain pass in New Mexico. So far, no major problems. The first EGR cooler failed around 40,000 miles and the second EGR cooler survived until it was replaced under the recall.

I limped the truck to the dealer in Branson, Missouri (32,000 miles) when the MAP sensor was clogged, but we were already at the campsite, so thankfully that worked out. Now I replace the MAP sensor every 25,000 miles. I probably could save some money by cleaning it instead.

With 93,000 miles on the truck, I'm probably living on borrowed time with the tone wheel. The AEM warranty covers the tone wheel, but as you said, it can disrupt a vacation.

We now have the 2020 EcoDiesel, so we'll start towing with that as well.

Back in 2016 I took My 3.0 to the Cabin in West Yellowstone in Aug, We stopped at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, after visiting friends in Dubois, I saw another Eco 3.0VM with the hood up at the Lodge and decided to Investigate and lend a Hand, I shared My Name and company, The owner mentioned He read many of My posts and said his entire Vacation is ruin because his Eco won't start, and the next closest dealership Is Jackson 58 miles away and not even able to look at it for 5 Days. I Pulled his Camper to West Yellowstone, and He and his wife rode in the Camper. He rented another truck from Bozeman MT. It was the tone ring and he flew to Jackson WY to Get His Truck, after returning Home with rental and Camper.

Wow, great story!

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
The first EGR cooler failed around 40,000 miles and the second EGR cooler survived until it was replaced under the recall.
Precisely my experience as well. In July of 2019, after towing our trailer through Nevada at over 100 degrees then climbing 9000 feet into the Sierras, coolant leaking from my EGR valve melted holes in the turbo intake manifold of my 2016 Ecodiesel. This was well before the EGR valve recall that acknowledged this problem. My other posts on this forum have described the experience that followed.

41K miles of the 62K miles we have on the truck has been towing our travel trailer, with most of the rest has been exploring the areas we’ve towed to. We hardly use it when we’re home.

Because of the location of the water tank on the trailer, and the relatively modest payload these trucks have due to the weight of the diesel engine, we’re pretty close to the truck’s GVWR when towing. We're well under the maximum towing and the trailer’s GVWR - even when all the wine is onboard for a long trip.

I really like the drivability of the 1500 and the wonderful range I have to explore the national parks and forests we like to visit. I get 12 -14 mpg when towing and 27+ when not. But my fussiness about weight and weight distribution annoys my wife, and the tone wheel issue may be one recall too far.

How does the payload of your 2020 Ecodiesel compare with what you had on the 2015?

Thanks.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Because of the location of the water tank on the trailer, and the relatively modest payload these trucks have due to the weight of the diesel engine, we’re pretty close to the truck’s GVWR when towing. We're well under the maximum towing and the trailer’s GVWR - even when all the wine is onboard for a long trip.

I really like the drivability of the 1500 and the wonderful range I have to explore the national parks and forests we like to visit. I get 12 -14 mpg when towing and 27+ when not.

I agree that the drivability is great, especially if the WDH is dialed in nicely. Here are a few pictures of ours:

K51kYgy.jpg

tgoh2vc.jpg

Xcmw9Zx.jpg

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
How does the payload of your 2020 Ecodiesel compare with what you had on the 2015?

2015 Quad Cab, 4x4, Big Horn - 1,257 payload
2020 Crew Cab, 4x4, Longhorn - 1,444 payload

2015, 3.55 gears - 7,690 lbs max towing
2020, 3.92 gears - 9,843 lbs max towing

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
My payload is around 1370, I think.

That's a nice setup! I love the large rear window that you have.

There are more camping spots for smaller RVs.

If your payload is 1,370 lbs, then you have 100+ lbs more than what I have on my 2015. The WDH will actually reduce some of that tongue weight. I need to buy a portable scale to see how much tongue weight I actually have.

Here's what Vern said on the matter:

I don’t know for the 5th gen. A portable or sureline scale is accurate if you are NOT using a WDH.

When using a WDH actual & legal tongue weight is determined by subtracting your combined loaded with trailer steer & drive axle weight from your combined unloaded axle weight. I keep an unloaded CAT slip in my truck. Never had to use it for a DOT officer etc but I can make my case & show my due diligence should I need to. All I need is my current loaded scale slip.

So you can IF prioritizing gvwr or a drive axle weight or even receiver weight adjust WDH & or loading to a point to get under the particular Mfgr max spec. I normally aim towards 12.0 tongue weight of gross trailer weight 10 if it’s something other than a TT. But many with typical loading are 15 percent before adjusting via scale results. So an 8k trailer might start at a TW of 1,200 be adjusted to 960 pounds or 800 if needed.

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
That's a nice setup! I love the large rear window that you have.

There are more camping spots for smaller RVs.

If your payload is 1,370 lbs, then you have 100+ lbs more than what I have on my 2015. The WDH will actually reduce some of that tongue weight. I need to buy a portable scale to see how much tongue weight I actually have.
Yep, the window's why we got this trailer.18-02-27 Southwest Trip-280.jpeg
RE WDH - Our local transfer station has a drive-up scale for weighing that I can use for free if I just want to read the LED screen. It's too short for both the truck and the trailer, so I weigh the truck hitched to the trailer, pull forward and weigh the trailer. Then I unhitch and weigh just the truck. The attached spreadsheet calculates the weights. (you can see how overloaded I started out in 2016!)

I can weigh the truck and the trailer with, and then without, the WDH set up. There was no apparent change in the truck weight and the trailer was only about 20 lbs. heavier, which I interpreted as:

a. There's a bit of inaccuracy in the scale
b. I need to adjust my WDH to distribute more of the weight.

Attachments

• Trailer Weight Record.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 8

ironhead

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
With 93,000 miles on the truck, I'm probably living on borrowed time with the tone wheel. The AEM warranty covers the tone wheel, but as you said, it can disrupt a vacation.
Just so you know the AEM warranty does not cover the tone wheel, it covers the crankshaft position sensor which is not the part that is breaking. so you are stuck with labor of pulling transmission and flywheel and tone wheel. if you get lucky when the tone wheel breaks the pieces will fly off and break the position sensor and will only have to pay for tone ring and flywheel removal. You know, if you get lucky when it breaks

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Yep, the window's why we got this trailer.

We love our Arctic Fox 22G, but I sure wished it had the larger rear window. Here's my rear window:

PRhRUGw.jpg

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I need to adjust my WDH to distribute more of the weight.

That would be my guess. We have two batteries and two 30 gallon propane tanks on the front of our travel trailer, so the tongue weight is pretty heavy. It makes a huge difference if we really tighten down the bars on the WDH.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Just so you know the AEM warranty does not cover the tone wheel, it covers the crankshaft position sensor which is not the part that is breaking. so you are stuck with labor of pulling transmission and flywheel and tone wheel. if you get lucky when the tone wheel breaks the pieces will fly off and break the position sensor and will only have to pay for tone ring and flywheel removal. You know, if you get lucky when it breaks
You are correct about what the AEM warranty says. However, I've read on other forums where they claim that Ram Cares has said the tone wheel labor is covered. Maybe they (Ram Cares) were referring to the same situation that you note, "if the position sensor breaks", maybe not.

The whole subject is definitely confusing and we are not sure. I'm thinking your scenario is correct but hoping for tone wheel labor coverage regardless of the sensor condition. Hoping that someone will clarify.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Just so you know the AEM warranty does not cover the tone wheel, it covers the crankshaft position sensor which is not the part that is breaking.

You're correct. I should have clarified that. It seems that the sensor frequently gets taken out when the tone wheel falls apart, so that's what I'm banking on. With that said, it would be much more convenient to have it replaced under my own terms than have a failure. Not every failure is going to happen close to home, so that's a little alarming. Right now, I still have 6 months of powertrain warranty left.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
The whole subject is definitely confusing and we are not sure. I'm thinking your scenario is correct but hoping for tone wheel labor coverage regardless of the sensor condition. Hoping that someone will clarify.

Dealers are supposed to charge you for the tone wheel if the sensor fails. The sensor and labor would be covered under the AEM. The powertrain warranty would pay for the tone wheel.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Dealers are supposed to charge you for the tone wheel if the sensor fails. The sensor and labor would be covered under the AEM. The powertrain warranty would pay for the tone wheel.
I understand that. My comments are about labor costs if the tone wheel fails and the sensor is ok.
There are two scenarios floating around the forums. I believe ironhead's scenario is correct but hoping for the other scenario that the tone wheel labor is covered regardless of the sensor condition, to be correct.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I understand that. My comments are about labor costs if the tone wheel fails and the sensor is ok.
There are two scenarios floating around the forums. I believe ironhead's scenario is correct but hoping for the other scenario that the tone wheel labor is covered regardless of the sensor condition, to be correct.

As I mentioned above, the tone wheel is only covered under the powertrain warranty, not the AEM. So, if the tone wheel fails, but doesn't take out the sensor, then you're paying the bill.

I might just bone up and pay for the tone wheel and labor. The cost might be worth it to me.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just purchase the Parts needed and carry on Board, I realize there hard to come by but can be ordered.

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
As I mentioned above, the tone wheel is only covered under the powertrain warranty, not the AEM. So, if the tone wheel fails, but doesn't take out the sensor, then you're paying the bill.

I might just bone up and pay for the tone wheel and labor. The cost might be worth it to me.
I would question this interpretation of the extended warranty that is part of the Approved Emissions Modification. Under the "Other Sensors That Are Covered" section the warranty includes "Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor" (and "Engine Camshaft Position Sensor" for that matter). If the sensor is not working because the tone wheel fell apart - as opposed to the electronic gizmo that reads its position - it's still not working. I would expect it repaired under the warranty until it was working, full stop. The service manager at my dealer agreed with this interpretation when I read him the language.

Has anyone had a different experience while still under the AED extended warranty?

Having said that I'm considering buying the part and taking it along in order to facilitate a repair in the remote areas I end up in.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I would question this interpretation of the extended warranty that is part of the Approved Emissions Modification. Under "Other Sensors That Are Covered" section the warranty includes "Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor" (and "Engine Camshaft Position Sensor" for that matter). If the sensor is not working because the tone wheel fell apart - as opposed to the electronic gizmo that reads its position - it's still not working. I would expect it repaired under the warranty until it was working, full stop. The service manager at my dealer agreed with this interpretation when I read him the language.

Has anyone had a different experience while still under the AED extended warranty?

Having said that I'm considering buying the part and taking it along in order to facilitate a repair in the remote areas I end up in.
Are you saying that when the tone wheel fails the sensor has also failed because it can no longer sense the tone wheel? That when a new tone wheel is installed the sensor would then work properly because it really wasn't broken,
Am I interpreting what you said correctly?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Just purchase the Parts needed and carry on Board, I realize there hard to come by but can be ordered.

I think the new updated tone wheel will be easy to find here in a few weeks when they are released (assuming they haven't already been released). I have the crankshaft position sensor software on my stock tune and GDE tune, so at least the truck won't leave me stranded on the side of the road.

Having the parts on hand is a smart idea, but the labor and downtime might be more of a problem, especially if you're 1,000 miles from home.