• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its no surprise.....the Powerplant is supplied by VM Cento Italy.

All The R/D is done their then transmitted to the N/A Branch to implement and execute. That leaves a lot of speculation for interpretation.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That is interesting in that I have never encountered this in my over 25 years of automotive electrical experience. Also I personally have not received the W68 letter nor does the VIN on my RAM show up on the W68 recall just the W58. So simply put, something does not add up. Also, might want to read the description of remedy on page 4 of the file I just attached.
V68 is for owners who opted out and their trucks that did not get the AEM emissions flash.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My Sources state You can opt out but... NO AEM warranty or repairs until CAA COC. Only the OEM warranty, My guess is if you wait and your tone Ring fails, and the New update is available you will get the new parts and flash, We are talking only 2014-16 3.0s? 2018+ are all CAA complaint. So hope🚑 your tone Ring does not fail until the update is available.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My Sources state You can opt out but... NO AEM warranty or repairs until CAA COC. Only the OEM warranty, My guess is if you wait and your tone Ring fails, and the New update is available you will get the new parts and flash, We are talking only 2014-16 3.0s? 2018+ are all CAA complaint. So hope🚑 your tone Ring does not fail until the update is available.
TC, here's what I have been able to ascertain from the Ram Cares posts.

W68 is not just a software update it is a parts replacement recall for owners who opted out of the V08/VA7 AEM emissions recall and their trucks did not receive the V08/VA7 updates.

It includes 2014-2019 years for Jeep Grand Cherokees, Dodge Chargers and Ram 1500s. The last build date that is included for Ram 1500s is March 2018.

The way I understand it is those of us who opted for the AEM recall get W58, a software update. We got the extended warranty which covers the labor but not the part WHEN we have a failure. The ones who opted out get W68 and are getting the parts and labor for free, now, BEFORE any failure. How screwed is that?

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I just don't believe what Ram Cares Says, its this simple its the Dealer that does the repair, Ram cares is NO more then a spokesman for Fiat, has has little to no control at the Dealer level.

I do share your views on how screwed up things have become on the 3.0VM.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I just don't believe what Ram Cares Says, its this simple its the Dealer that does the repair, Ram cares is NO more then a spokesman for Fiat, has has little to no control at the Dealer level.

I do share your views on how screwed up things have become on the 3.0VM.
I agree about Ram Cares. In addition, they have on occasion posted the wrong information and don't correct it unless someone challenges.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
TC, here's what I have been able to ascertain from the Ram Cares posts.

W68 is not just a software update it is a parts replacement recall for owners who opted out of the V08/VA7 AEM emissions recall and their trucks did not receive the V08/VA7 updates.

It includes 2014-2019 years for Jeep Grand Cherokees, Dodge Chargers and Ram 1500s. The last build date that is included for Ram 1500s is March 2018.

The way I understand it is those of us who opted for the AEM recall get W58, a software update. We got the extended warranty which covers the labor but not the part WHEN we have a failure. The ones who opted out get W68 and are getting the parts and labor for free, now, BEFORE any failure. How screwed is that?

Sadly, this is true. I'll be getting the W58 update sometime in the next two weeks, then I'll install the GDE EPA Compliant Tune which will also have the W58 software added to the tune.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
After some recent research into the fate of my GDE engine and trans tunes if I move ahead with the VB1 and W58, in my personal opinion, the W58 is soley focused on bringing tuned vehicles into compliance. If you have the recalls done, you have to pay GED $100 for the updated compliant tunes.

Since my goal is to keep this truck for a long time, I do not plan to get the VB1 or W58 recalls completed. Instead, I will wait until the W68 parts are available and have this recall completed. That way I can continue to run my existing tune that will not fill my plenum and engine full of soot.

AndyT-GA

Aug 7, 2019
Truck Year
Does anyone have a old tone ring or know the pulse count on the ring? I have been studying this and think there is a way to mount a ring on the front crank pulley. Then mount the same crank position sensor with an extended harness on the front of the engine. I just need to know the pulse count. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

DRC

Feb 16, 2021
Truck Year
I was reading the posts on the crankshaft positioning sensor and I was wondering, wasn't this the reason for the latest recall from FCA? If so I got mine done about 3 weeks ago, so I should be ok..Right?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I was reading the posts on the crankshaft positioning sensor and I was wondering, wasn't this the reason for the latest recall from FCA? If so I got mine done about 3 weeks ago, so I should be ok..Right?

Don't know what "latest recall" you had done. The crankshaft positioning sensor is W58. If your invoice shows that W58 was completed you got it done.

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
W58 and W68 Recalls

Here’s what I’ve learned. Both of these recalls deal with the same issue. The “crankshaft position sensor tone wheel” may fail causing the engine to suddenly stall and not restart.

W58 - is a software only modification that instructs the engine to use the camshaft position sensor if the crankshaft position sensor fails, preventing the truck from stalling. It’s not clear to me how the truck will run after this happens, but I’m assuming it goes into limp mode until the crankshaft position sensor is physically repaired.

W68 is the actual replacement of the position sensor - does not require it to fail first.

As I have had the Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) applied (and taken the settlement money) I get W58. I received the official notification letter and have made a service appointment at the dealer.

If you opted NOT to have the AED applied, the software fix is not available for you and they have to replace the part under W68 to eliminate the risk that the truck may suddenly and dangerously quit running. As both fixes do that, they meet the requirements for a SAFETY recall.

But who pays for the hardware repair that’s required if the tone wheel fails after the software patch is applied - putting the truck into limp mode. That repair is covered under the extended warranty that came with the AEM. Under “Other Sensors that are Covered- Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor” is listed.

FCA is betting (and hoping) that MOST of the tone rings hang on and don’t need replacement. I hope so to. But I’m covered if it doesn’t.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
But who pays for the hardware repair that’s required if the tone wheel fails after the software patch is applied - putting the truck into limp mode. That repair is covered under the extended warranty that came with the AEM. Under “Other Sensors that are Covered- Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor” is listed.

I'm hoping that mine fails under the AEM warranty. That would save me a lot of money if it did fail.

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
I'm hoping that mine fails under the AEM warranty. That would save me a lot of money if it did fail.
Me too:
The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Me too:
The Extended Warranty covers all parts and systems affected by the Approved Emissions Modification, and the warranty term is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.

I don't remember the mileage when I had the AEM installed. It was done in May of 2019. For sure, I'm good until 120,000 miles. I'm at 93,000 at the moment.

woodfoot

Jul 13, 2019
Truck Year
Mine delaminated at 148,000 miles on 2016 4WD Ecodiesel. Dealer quoted $3500 (no joke) for the repair, so I paid the $250 for the inspection with borescope to confirm the problem, and had the actual repair done by a local transmission shop for $850. It is a simple job to replace, but the transmission does need to be removed. In my case, I was rocking the vehicle back and forth when stuck in a snowbank, and zipped up the revs at onepoint, at which the engine immediately died, flashed a service electronic throttle control and a service trailer brake system. After that would crank and crank with no start. There are two recalls for this problem, but only for some VINs, which did not include mine. Nice bonus about having the independent shop do it is I got to keep the tone wheel, and see that the magnetic strip was cracked at several locations in addition to the part that came off. So in my opinion, failure of this part is going to be the rule rather than the exception for any high mileage engine. Only other major problem I've had with the truck is the EGR cooler, which was replaced at 50,000 miles. Obviously I'm never going back to that dealership for anything,...but the truck itself has been very reliable (with the GDE tune), and I do like it a lot.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
There are two recalls for this problem, but only for some VINs, which did not include mine. .
How can this be.? Are you sure? All Ecos up to March 2018 are involved. It's just a matter of whether or not a person opted out of V08 as to whether you get W58 or W68 recall. Post 152 explains it very well.

wsonnenb

Feb 23, 2021
Truck Year
Woodfoot,
Good call on using a transmission shop. Where did you get your replacement tone wheel, and do you have a part number. I may just buy one and store it in the truck.

I'd follow up with FCA/Stellantis trying to get reimbursement for your repair. I plan to, if they don't cover my 2016, when it delaminates.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I scheduled VB1 and W58 recall appts yesterday. I opted into the V08, and according to the service manager, he can only do the software update (W58) unless I can convince FCA to replace the hardware as well (W68). He said he is more than willing to do it, but needs formal approval in writing from FCA.

When I got my GDE, I bought the separate ECM. I plan to restore the trans tune to stock, bolt on the OEM ECM, and have the recalls completed. When I get the truck back home, I will bolt on the GDE ECM, and re-install the trans tune. I WILL NOT be hooking my flash tool up to the internet to erase my current tune, and I will not be purchasing the $100 compliant tune from GDE.

woodfoot

Jul 13, 2019
Truck Year
How can this be.? Are you sure? All Ecos up to March 2018 are involved. It's just a matter of whether or not a person opted out of V08 as to whether you get W58 or W68 recall. Post 152 explains it very well.
I called FCA Customer Care, and gave them my VIN. The woman (Beatrice) said that the recalls did not apply to my VIN. When I asked her how they determine which VINs get the recalls, she said that she could not disclose that information. I got the feeling they determined it based on the factory that produced the tone wheels, and the date, but have no direct evidence of that. It is a total sham, as my wheel failed in the exact same way all the other ones did. I'll post a picture of it if I can. My date of manufacture from the door sticker is 2-16, and when I enter the VIN on the https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls page, many open recalls are listed for my vehicle, but neither W58 or W68. FYI, I have not had V08 recall done yet, but intend to so that I get the $3025. Postponed as long as possible so as to maximize the stretch of the 4 yr/48,000 warranty extension associated with having V08 done. Had to get a junkyard PCM so as not to have the GDE tune erased.

Last edited: