• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I do a fair amount of towing, including taking our travel trailer over some of the steepest mountain passes in the nation. The 2015 has 90,000 miles on the truck. Besides a clogged DEF injector, I haven't had any major problems. The first EGR cooler was replaced under my extended warranty and the second EGR cooler was replaced under the AEM warranty. So far, my 2015 was been a great truck, so much so that we ordered a 2020 EcoDiesel.

The delaminating tone wheel is a little concerning. If I were smart, I would go ahead and have the reluctor/tone wheel replaced once the new part is available. I live in rural America, so it's probably better for the part to be replaced on my own terms vs being stranded somewhere.

Also, a big-shout out to Vern. I tap him for knowledge as much as possible. He's taken two engines over 350,000 miles. I hope he will be the first to reach 400,000 miles!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It should be noted Deleted Vehicles are NOT OEM. I don't of any 3.0 that has reach 300K Miles in legal Status W/O major repairs. I'm talking engine NOT emissions.

The 3.0 does OK in HWY use, its the DD use it has been problematic.

I take it your the Same member as Biodiesel at XXX

I bought the GDE Compliant Tune on August 5th, but I still haven't installed it. I've been waiting to have all the software recalls completed before installing it. The last recall will be the W58. According to GDE, it only take about 8 minutes or so to flash the tune back to stock, so that's probably what I should do. Due to COVID-19, I haven't been driving the truck much. Hopefully the W58 will be available soon.

I enjoyed reading Your comments before I was Banned , More like left, Shortly after you became a Member, I hope You visit here often Your knowledge is welcome.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I take it your the Same member as Biodiesel at XXX

Yes, sir!

I bought the GDE Compliant Tune on August 5th, but I still haven't installed it.

I still don't have it installed.

I enjoyed reading Your comments before I was Banned , More like left, Shortly after you became a Member, I hope You visit here often Your knowledge is welcome.

Thank you, sir. I don't have much knowledge to bring to the table. I hope to share my experiences, though. I'll be hauling my great grandpa's grain wagon from Kansas to New Mexico later this week. It will be about a 900 mile trip.

MsbnGB4.jpg

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
How many of you have had reluctor wheel failure on an Eco listed in the recall? What was your experience on the repair? Dealer is telling me no parts before April 1 which means mine is off the road 3 1/2 months by then. I think I'm getting screwed, but don't know how to fight it. I've opened case with FCA customer service but so far no concessions from them whatsoever. Any advice on an approach that worked for you? Is it possible to have it fixed outside the recall at your own expense?

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
My 2015 Ecodiesel tone wheel just failed at 148k miles and was informed that the tone wheel is on a nation wide backorder and no availability is predicted till mid December. I have been calling everywhere with no luck on an OEM part
Same for me, down in Mid Dec, I'm told no parts before April at earliest.

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
I just had an insulting exchange with a sales rep here in Tampa, I was considering trading in my 2015 Ecodiesel on a 2020 3500 6.7 and was offered only 13;500 for a trade which was 3500$ less than what was offered less than 700 miles and 2 months ago and that is If it is in running condition.

Now we move to the service department.. the reluctor wheel is specifically not covered under the extended emissions warranty, but the crank position sensor is and the manager is claiming that only the ring is bad and it is a 1500$ repair, ( but if the sensor was damaged by the ring failure FCA would cover the repair under warranty and it would only be a 120$ parts cost for the non covered ring. They also will not allow me to view the removal and test of my sensor and I have to take their word that it is not damaged and thus my expense Vs theirs...

The sales guys are screwing me because my truck is now down for several months waiting on parts and the word is out that these are unreliable. FCA is exploiting a huge loophole in their useless warranty by not standing behind they product and honoring the Spirit of their warranty

i have filed a claim with Ram Cares but there has been no reply
This does not give the warm and fuzzy feeling. Mine is down for the same reason and no one in the chain from dealer to FCA supervisor gives a red rats butt.

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
How many of you have had reluctor wheel failure on an Eco listed in the recall? What was your experience on the repair? Dealer is telling me no parts before April 1 which means mine is off the road 3 1/2 months by then. I think I'm getting screwed, but don't know how to fight it. I've opened case with FCA customer service but so far no concessions from them whatsoever. Any advice on an approach that worked for you? Is it possible to have it fixed outside the recall at your own expense?
Update, several ups and downs, but possible progress. After no less than 4 contacts with FCA customer service, I was able to get them ship my dealer a NOS tone wheel that will be installed in my truck until the recall part is available. The part is here! Then dealer tried to tell me since it was not the recall replacement part that I had to pay for the repair. Another call to FCA and a day later its lined up. FCA has agreed to pay for both the interim part being installed now and to replace with the new part when it becomes available, Local service manager is on board finally, so maybe..just maybe, I get back to the road by Next Tuesday. Will advise when it comes to pass. If this is true, while being down for 5 weeks is ridiculous, FCA seems to be taking the high road finally.

Mentor1013

May 30, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks for keeping us all advised flat4fever. I am afraid to take my truck on the road with all the recalls and BS many of us have encountered. I have a 2016 with just over 17,000 miles and if I knew what I know now concerning the ECO diesel I would not have ever bought one. My next truck will be a regular gas Chevy Silverado. FCA is a real disappointment. I will say I loved my 2005 Cummings Diesel Ram 2500 and should have kept it but it rode to hard unless it was fully loaded. Thanks again

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
Mine is 2015 w 98000 miles. I've only owned it 4 months. Stupid me, traded a perfectly good Silverado for this thing. I knew about the recall, but I read that the defect was only expected to impact 2% of owners. That's me, Mr 2%. As soon as I get it back I'm shopping and preparing to take a very cold shower.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks biodiesel. It seems the forum sent some kind of auto link to my email. Anyway yeah 382,000 on this motor with its sole issue being the reluctor or tone wheel failure. That makes it a very “green” engine compared to one where the EGR kills it in half that time. Previous motor had head gasket failure at 371,000 due low coolant from a leaking EGR cooler. Dang interfering gooberment emissions parts. Then I got smart and did a tune which not only turns the worthless & destructive EGR off but also allows you to get rid of the EGR to eliminate that risk as well.

First ED motor over 400,000 miles. That honor went to James another transporter. He had 425,000 a few weeks ago already. Just change that Mopar fuel filter every 30k and that oil every 10k with 10k rated filter. And the differential fluid every 50k if you tow regularly. Fortunately theses trucks are easy to self service. I run the GDE tunes in my 14. James runs the SKT tunes in his 15 and my SIL runs the HD Diesel tune in his 17. All of them seems to really help keep them out of the dealer service bay plus adds a turbo brake and power & mileage. Still amazes me to see my oil go over twice as many miles between oil changes before turning black and needing to be replaced. Seems “green”’ and money saving to me. Lately been reading about the MR Tuning tunes from owners. Seems the all work well and make for happy owners. What a contrast to all the owners complaining about repairs fuel consumption & lag who run the government AEM detune.

Thanks Biodiesel let us know how well you like the new ED and when you turn 100k on your 15.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If you no longer desire to receive emails you can disable the notification. Maybe you didn't notice the threads on Tone Ring Failure its not related to the EGR or how clean your Lube is, or Tuning. Now the mileage report nice to see your CK/Tone Sensor/Ring has lasted those miles.

As far easy. Changing Glow plugs would qualify for easy on Most DSL's, Not So with the 3.0VM. For this owner it went from $25.00 Glow plug Part to $6/12K repair.

OP I will longer de-rail this thread.
flat4fever replied to a thread you are watching at EcoDieselRam.com - EcoDiesel Ram 1500 Truck Community.
Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel. at EcoDieselRam.com - EcoDiesel Ram 1500 Truck Community with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

cylinder wall_Ecodiesel.jpg

Ecodiesel_Head2.jpg

Mentor1013

May 30, 2017
Truck Year
Don't be a dolt I used hate figuratively. Perhaps read it again I did not ask or advise anyone. I shared information that largely seems to be hidden from people over here.
I also appreciate the information you have provided to members of this forum. Many Thanks Vern.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
On Edit: No longer De-rail Thread.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vern Your entire post had nothing to aid/add the OP on his Tone ring Failure. You babble on how the EPA, AEM, EGR, and The USA GOV, ETC.

The Silence police are found at the site You mod at.

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
The tale can now be told, the Eco is back in my driveway after 6 weeks. I was able to get FCA to agree to repair it under the recall now with a NOS tone wheel and again , also under the recall , when the new part is available. This was not easy, it took no less than 7 contacts with FCA to get this done. In my experience, at FCA customer service the level one people are not empowered to do anything but read the script and commiserate. They cannot help you accelerate your process. When the promised date of 1/7 got shifted to 4/1, I got more aggressive with them. You have to be insistent that you need to speak to a supervisor which they will try to divert you away from. It also seemed to help that I backed up every unsatisfactory phone call with a new written complaint with the contact tool on the Mopar website with an escalating list of demands. After I got to the supervisor, first I asked for a loaner car, then I asked them to give me the KBB value for the truck in trade for a vehicle that would run and they could wait out the part. When I pointed out that the recall was already 7 months old and that not having the parts was "a huge middle finger to all FCA customers", miraculously they agreed to send my dealer the parts to fix it now. They will also leave the recall open so the re-engineered part gets installed too. So, in effect they agreed to fix it twice. Now, 6 weeks is a stupid amount of time for this to drag on to get to this conclusion, but it did break down right before Xmas and we had two 3 days weeks in a row. Still the key, in my mind to getting it done is to force them to get you to level 2 customer service as they are empowered to solve the problem. So, I give them a "D" for execution and a B+ for the solution. Your mileage may vary.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good for you flat....One of the reason Fiat has been able to drag customers threw so much absurdity is owners allow it. I give Fiat a different rating F for execution and D for the solution, The Tone ring failures have been happening for Years back to 2015.

Until America stops the acceptance of VM 3.0 Fiat/VM will continue this behavior , including placing a very inferior power plant in the 1500.

FCA the North American Branch of Fiat is not the problem , I have documents You or anyone is welcome to see how FCA pleaded with Fiat Italy to stop placing the 3.0VM in North America's vehicles way back in 2016.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
FCA the North American Branch of Fiat is not the problem , I have documents You or anyone is welcome to see how FCA pleaded with Fiat Italy to stop placing the 3.0VM in North America's vehicles way back in 2016.

I contemplated selling/trading my 2015 when the AEM warranty runs out, but overall, I've been pretty happy with my 2015. Granted, I only have 92,000 miles on the engine. The quality control seems to be hit and miss on the engines. Some people can go 200,000 miles with minimal problems and others have all kinds of problems in the fist 100,000 miles. It seems to be more of a quality control issue than anything. Like Vern mentioned, there's a transporter with 425,000 miles on his engine! So, the 3.0L isn't junk, but the quality control is definitely hit and miss.

Anyway, I bought a 2020 EcoDiesel, so now I have a backup truck if one goes down, so that gives me some peace of mind.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They seem to do well HWY/Deleted. That options not available to many.

In HWY Used Deleted then can make some high miles, That use should NOT be consider in DD, Vern use, is deceptive for the greater majority of Ecodiesel owners should be disregarded. Their are always exceptions to every rule, its the norm that should be considered not exceptions, because if the norm happens to you are NO longer the exception.

2015 Overland ED

Feb 17, 2021
Truck Year
Vern Your entire post had nothing to aid/add the OP on his Tone ring Failure. You babble on how the EPA, AEM, EGR, and The USA GOV, ETC.

I contemplated selling/trading my 2015 when the AEM warranty runs out, but overall, I've been pretty happy with my 2015. Granted, I only have 92,000 miles on the engine. The quality control seems to be hit and miss on the engines. Some people can go 200,000 miles with minimal problems and others have all kinds of problems in the fist 100,000 miles. It seems to be more of a quality control issue than anything. Like Vern mentioned, there's a transporter with 425,000 miles on his engine! So, the 3.0L isn't junk, but the quality control is definitely hit and miss.

Anyway, I bought a 2020 EcoDiesel, so now I have a backup truck if one goes down, so that gives me some peace of mind.

The tale can now be told, the Eco is back in my driveway after 6 weeks. I was able to get FCA to agree to repair it under the recall now with a NOS tone wheel and again , also under the recall , when the new part is available. This was not easy, it took no less than 7 contacts with FCA to get this done. In my experience, at FCA customer service the level one people are not empowered to do anything but read the script and commiserate. They cannot help you accelerate your process. When the promised date of 1/7 got shifted to 4/1, I got more aggressive with them. You have to be insistent that you need to speak to a supervisor which they will try to divert you away from. It also seemed to help that I backed up every unsatisfactory phone call with a new written complaint with the contact tool on the Mopar website with an escalating list of demands. After I got to the supervisor, first I asked for a loaner car, then I asked them to give me the KBB value for the truck in trade for a vehicle that would run and they could wait out the part. When I pointed out that the recall was already 7 months old and that not having the parts was "a huge middle finger to all FCA customers", miraculously they agreed to send my dealer the parts to fix it now. They will also leave the recall open so the re-engineered part gets installed too. So, in effect they agreed to fix it twice. Now, 6 weeks is a stupid amount of time for this to drag on to get to this conclusion, but it did break down right before Xmas and we had two 3 days weeks in a row. Still the key, in my mind to getting it done is to force them to get you to level 2 customer service as they are empowered to solve the problem. So, I give them a "D" for execution and a B+ for the solution. Your mileage may vary.

I have a 2015 ED Grand Cherokee Overland that will crank but not fire at 61K miles and throwing the crank sensor code. Fortunately it happened while sitting in the driveway after a -19 degree cold spell. I plan to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow and expect to hear that reluctor is bad and there are no replacement parts available...I suspect they will tell me to ride my bicycle for 6 months while they wait on the new, improved part...if there is a number and helpful POC at FCA you can share, that would be much appreciated.