• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

KyTim

Feb 28, 2020
Truck Year
Had a friend loose the Crank Sensor just like I did. His was under warranty and they replaced the pump, injectors and one other thing. Just a way to milk the warranty for more money.
Just had a issue with this same problem 2015 ram eco diesel 69,000 miles and went to pass a semi going slow on in traffic, pushed the pedal down and made a noise then stop running and will not start, had to be towed into the dealer after the tear down a price of the magnet is missing parts are on backorder, the dealer got them from a dealer that had them in stock luckily It was under warranty threw emissions update and it is still in the shop they fount a major oil leak around the turbo you would not think this many problem for this meany miles and I don’t toll anything. This is the second sensor that went out the first was a boost sensor.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I lost mine at a round 120,000, I was out of warranty and had to fix it myself, but that is all that I have had fail when it comes to sensors. other then doing a full delete because of a leaking egr (I was out of warranty on that to and before they came out with the repair) mine has been good. i'm at 132,000, so far so good

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
Recall issued for Crankshaft Position. I have an appointment in September that I booked with a loaner back in June. Dealerships are backed up. I hopefully will have a loaner available that day. My engine light is on. Had the AEM software update which covers the engine light. I won’t have to pay a $100 warranty deductible as part of the AEM and Recall.
By the appointment date they should have a fix for it.

KyTim

Feb 28, 2020
Truck Year
Had the same problem at 60,000 miles it threw a piece of the magnet of and stoped dead in the road. Had to have it towed in to the dealer and it fixed under the warranty from the eco diesel settlement extended warranty.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would like to post the recall info & procedure (ANY & ALL) , FCA Strictly forbidden this ....and they are enforcing the matter.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Have you seen the new W58 recall? It says:

"Vehicles Affected: Approximately 58,000 vehicles, including model-year 2014-18 Ram 1500 pickup trucks equipped with 3.0-liter diesel engines

The Problem: The crankshaft position sensor tone wheel may delaminate, causing the engine to lose its ability to synchronize the fuel injector pulses and camshaft timing, possibly resulting in an engine stall that can increase the risk of a crash.

Ram parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said it is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the issue, and vehicles equipped with FCA’s newer, third-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 are similarly unaffected.

The Fix: Dealers will update the powertrain control module software to maintain vehicle propulsion by reading the camshaft position signal in the event that the crankshaft position signal is lost. All repairs will be done for free."

The purpose is if you have the failure, to keep your truck running rather than stop you in your tracks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Have you seen the new W58 recall? It says:

"Vehicles Affected: Approximately 58,000 vehicles, including model-year 2014-18 Ram 1500 pickup trucks equipped with 3.0-liter diesel engines

The Problem: The crankshaft position sensor tone wheel may delaminate, causing the engine to lose its ability to synchronize the fuel injector pulses and camshaft timing, possibly resulting in an engine stall that can increase the risk of a crash.

Ram parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said it is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the issue, and vehicles equipped with FCA’s newer, third-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 are similarly unaffected.

The Fix: Dealers will update the powertrain control module software to maintain vehicle propulsion by reading the camshaft position signal in the event that the crankshaft position signal is lost. All repairs will be done for free."

The purpose is if you have the failure, to keep your truck running rather than stop you in your tracks.

SO TC Diesel is correct again.....Look back 2-4 years I posted this was big oversight by VM, My advice would be to no longer visit site! that promote their views on matters and pay more attention to the facts and process the info correctly.

Thanks John for Update......

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
SO TC Diesel is correct again.....Look back 2-4 years I posted this was big oversight by VM, My advice would be to no longer visit site! that promote their views on matters and pay more attention to the facts and process the info correctly.

Thanks John for Update......
Another "score" for TC!

What's interesting to me is all we tuned guys will reload the stock tune, get the update, return to the tune and the update is gone. The update does nothing for us - another penalty for being tuned. Someone has said if the failure happens to a tuned truck to merely return it to stock to get the ability to keep running. I don't think so.

Another someone said the recall only keeps you running until you turn the key off. Turn the key off and you won't restart.

There's so many someones who think they know or have a theory. I don't think we'll really know until the recall hits. Last I heard they do not have the software fix yet. So who knows what will eventually happen.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I here Ya John...Eco owners need to STAND UP and be heard and push back, its outrageous Fiat allowing one fix after another years later confirmed failures in the 1000s.

Heck its to the point 2017+ owners need two ECM/PCMs... Hey! maybe the Tuners can add the fix VIA update for those tuned and deleted?

I tell Ya FCA is really cracking Down on Flashing and security. Token flashing probably just the start, FCAOKLA will add encryption and its over, Sure you can molest the unit But every Dealer now logs in VIA WITECH MIC II...... BAM Your done.

Vehicle Reprogramming Subscriptions (VRS) are available for use on all wiTECH 2.0 supported vehicles. Each subscription token will include access to all available module software updates (flashes) released by FCA on a single VIN. VRS Token is activated upon the 1st reprogramming attempt performed in wiTECH 2.0.

loganjones614

Oct 26, 2020
Truck Year
I'm having this problem right now and im having trouble finding what kind of reluctor wheel to buy

KyTim

Feb 28, 2020
Truck Year
Mine went out around 65,000 miles, kicked it down to pass a truck in slow traffic and I heard a pop and stopped running in the middle of the road and luckily it had enough momentum to get off the road, It had to be towed in and would not start and the code should crank sensor and the transmission has to be pulled to get to it. After the tone ring is pulled a piece was missing and had lots of cracks in it, luckily the warranty from the emission recall paid for this.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Good, I have been trying to reimbursed for over two years ago and have got nothing

Deck33703

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
My 2015 Ecodiesel tone wheel just failed at 148k miles and was informed that the tone wheel is on a nation wide backorder and no availability is predicted till mid December. I have been calling everywhere with no luck on an OEM part

Deck33703

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
Its confirmed. There is no availability of part number 68493358aa for repairs and FCM is refusing to pull parts earmarked for new construction to support repairs... hurry up and wait

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Try a European source, you would be suprised what you can find, start with ebay, I've bought sensor and turbo etc. and sometimes at suprising prices. I had to fix my tone ring and replace the sensor in Aug of 2019. at 125,000 miles. I just got a notification that they would reimburse me today by email.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I just found a tone ring in greece but they wouldnt send it to the USA, but that was as far as i looked.

Deck33703

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
I just had an insulting exchange with a sales rep here in Tampa, I was considering trading in my 2015 Ecodiesel on a 2020 3500 6.7 and was offered only 13;500 for a trade which was 3500$ less than what was offered less than 700 miles and 2 months ago and that is If it is in running condition.

Now we move to the service department.. the reluctor wheel is specifically not covered under the extended emissions warranty, but the crank position sensor is and the manager is claiming that only the ring is bad and it is a 1500$ repair, ( but if the sensor was damaged by the ring failure FCA would cover the repair under warranty and it would only be a 120$ parts cost for the non covered ring. They also will not allow me to view the removal and test of my sensor and I have to take their word that it is not damaged and thus my expense Vs theirs...

The sales guys are screwing me because my truck is now down for several months waiting on parts and the word is out that these are unreliable. FCA is exploiting a huge loophole in their useless warranty by not standing behind they product and honoring the Spirit of their warranty

i have filed a claim with Ram Cares but there has been no reply

boosti

Feb 17, 2020
Truck Year
My 2015 has an appointment in December for the recall. I had my Ram at the dealership for two weeks with a melted manifold the warranty covered it $100. The AEM warranty doesn’t cover the EGR tube cleaning. I guess you have to be lucky with which dealership you use. They certainly will charge you for something that may be fully covered.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
Unfortunately, I am now in the boat with the rest of you! Truck died Monday had local mechanic scan it. Code P0-336 crankshaft position sensor. No other codes. Video and photo documented. Then had towed to local dealer. Two days later they got truck started it’s running in limo mode and they say after 30 seconds of listening it needs a new motor! I told them I have all the old oil from previous changes and I will send out to labs to have tested! Asked what failed they said it’s knocking loudly???????? WTF. I asked them if they opened oil pan to see bearings spun? Bent rods? They said no. We just listened to it and we know! Sounds like BS to me. I have built many engines and know what they sound like after grenading. I will be going to hear it in person and record a video Monday!
Want 12k plus for engine swap. Won’t replace the tone wheel/sensor because they listed as new engine needed! Parts not avail till December anyway! Truck is tuned with a GDE stock and had NO issues ever! Find it very hard that engine is blown! If so it was caused by crankshaft position sensor failure. Local diesel shop will get it next for second opinion. But, Moral of the story! Should have took buy back and got a Cummins or a Ford!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Maryland ECO, I'm very interested in Your OA results....Is Your 3.0 Out of Warranty?

You engine will be added to the 10,000+ 3.0s. Its the same no Notice or sign (Sound Noise) until the Bearing lets go, after that its Knock, Knock, Puke.