• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

Mentor1013

May 30, 2017
Truck Year
I get that. Yet i would buy another one in heartbeat, It is still the nicest and best riding one out there. my dealer is surprisingly good about working with you on tunes as long as you don't go all the way. When i buy another one, and at this moment I would go with GDE (because they keep the engine protection programming in place, PPEI not so much.) 20hp upgrade as i remember (it would be a good idea to do a turbo or compound turbo upgrade to keep the engine EGT's down but its $$$$$.$$ and/ or it will smoke) or just stay with stock tune (no smoke), eliminate the EGR, Def, and DPF and install a straight exhaust, some kind of EGT monitor is a must even if it's stock. You would be surprised at how high the EGT temps get, yet they run fine. If you leave the EGR on the engine, get the intake manifold plugged and stop the antifreeze circulating thru the EGR, or at about 100,000 miles it's going to leak externally or internally. The power goes up a little and mileage will increase a solid 2.5 to 3.0 MPG and it runs cooler, and you have made a great pickup even better. You have to do the same thing to all the others makes and models one way or another. As to the crankshaft positioning sensor and tone Ring, mine failed at 120,000 miles because it has been run hard and put away wet and crap happens. I have already done the delete, but FCA just recalled and fixed all the EGR, DEF and DPF and engine issues on these pickups.
Thanks for all of the information you have provided. I have a 2016 Eco and as I posted above was almost T-boned due to the excessive acceleration lag from a dead stop. I am not a mechanic like many who post here but you seem to really know what you are talking about so I would like to ask you a question. I would like to have a reputable shop do a delete on my 2016 Eco Diesel with 16,000 miles on it. I have not put many miles on it since I don't really trust the vehicle. If I can't find a way to be more confident in this vehicles reliability I will trade it for a regular gas Silverado. Any suggestions you can give me on the delete question I greatly appreciate. I live in Roswell, NM so and about 200 miles from Albuquerque, NM and Lubbock, TX. Thanks for entertaining my question.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
TC yes. 128k. So no warranty. I have had a GDE tune since 75K. Just have trouble believing that it’s blown up by what happened when it shut off. I I accelerated to make a traffic light but when I gave throttle engine light Came on, reduced power, I coasted to a stop and it shut off. No clanging no boom no rattles. Etc.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for all of the information you have provided. I have a 2016 Eco and as I posted above was almost T-boned due to the excessive acceleration lag from a dead stop. I am not a mechanic like many who post here but you seem to really know what you are talking about so I would like to ask you a question. I would like to have a reputable shop do a delete on my 2016 Eco Diesel with 16,000 miles on it. I have not put many miles on it since I don't really trust the vehicle. If I can't find a way to be more confident in this vehicles reliability I will trade it for a regular gas Silverado. Any suggestions you can give me on the delete question I greatly appreciate. I live in Roswell, NM so and about 200 miles from Albuquerque, NM and Lubbock, TX. Thanks for entertaining my question.
Many shops won’t do deletes because of federal laws! In MD very few willing to do them. And any that are don’t advertise it because of the liability. Just go to a few reputable shops and if they say no ask the mechanics to do them on the side! For extra cash etc. I think all diesels should be deleted. The EGR is what kills motors IMHO. But GDE tune electronically deletes the egr function so almost as good if you can’t delete your state. Good luck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No, the Current GDE does NOT make the EGR NONE-Functional. GDE if I'm wrong correct Me.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
TC yes. 128k. So no warranty. I have had a GDE tune since 75K. Just have trouble believing that it’s blown up by what happened when it shut off. I I accelerated to make a traffic light but when I gave throttle engine light Came on, reduced power, I coasted to a stop and it shut off. No clanging no boom no rattles. Etc.

I don't see the connection, The Rotating mass fails when (Rotating) the tone ring failure stops the Rotation.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
I don't see the connection, The Rotating mass fails when (Rotating) the tone ring failure stops the Rotation.
I used to drag race a lot when I was younger and have had a few engines blow. None of them just shut off they all went bang and/or ran rough making a racket on the top or bottom end. If I had a bearing failure the rods would have been banging in the crankcase and I would have heard that correct? Unless it seized. And if it seized how did the dealer get it started? Not just no throttle response and shut off? And the the code PO-336 was only code not low oil pressure etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️ How the dealer got it to start I have no idea. I tried to start it at least 10-15 times when it stopped and my local shop tried it a few times when they put the code reader on it! Thanks for your insights. I appreciate your input.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I used to drag race a lot when I was younger and have had a few engines blow. None of them just shut off they all went bang and/or ran rough making a racket on the top or bottom end. If I had a bearing failure the rods would have been banging in the crankcase and I would have heard that correct? Unless it seized. And if it seized how did the dealer get it started? Not just no throttle response and shut off? And the the code PO-336 was only code not low oil pressure etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️ How the dealer got it to start I have no idea. I tried to start it at least 10-15 times when it stopped and my local shop tried it a few times when they put the code reader on it! Thanks for your insights. I appreciate your input.

The EVIC Oil PSI is L-O-M the 3.0 has a oil pressure switch set at 10PSI, things GO BOOM at 10PSI. Yes your correct either window block or Knock.
ED oil Gage1.jpg

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
The EVIC Oil PSI is L-O-M the 3.0 has a oil pressure switch set at 10PSI, things GO BOOM at 10PSI. Yes your correct either window block or Knock.
View attachment 3191
That’s nuts! It seems more and more that Chrysler/Ram has intended for these things to fail. The VM Motori company makes the motors for black cabs in UK and those things last from what I heard! Oh well! Thanks! As an aside from the oil analysis I should be getting results in a week or two!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The UK just asking to push 2800-3200LBS car's, its really castrated compared to 6200LBS 1500 trucks and the additional tow ratings. They can last, but its rare to find any 3.0VM at 200K miles trouble free.

Heck theirs a guy at CF with 570K miles on his 2015 6.7 miles still all OEM. I know of Many 5.9s/6.7s with 300K+ miles ALL OEM except for Injectors and CP3, exhaust, even the 48re's into the 300K range.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
The UK just asking to push 2800-3200LBS car's, its really castrated compared to 6200LBS 1500 trucks and the additional tow ratings. They can last, but its rare to find any 3.0VM at 200K miles trouble free.

Heck theirs a guy at CF with 570K miles on his 2015 6.7 miles still all OEM. I know of Many 5.9s/6.7s with 300K+ miles ALL OEM except for Injectors and CP3, exhaust, even the 48re's into the 300K range.
So what motor do you personally recommend? I know all have had and can have issues but I wanted a diesel so I could get more miles and durability! Should you consider deleting right away? Difficult to afford a new 2500 series truck or bigger! And also get a vehicle the wife wants to be in. A STD truck is what’s I need but she wants to be in a little more comfort and amenities etc. so if I move to a bigger I will likely buy used. Unless I buy a motor and install. $7500 shipped with factory 100k warranty. But install will be more..... so that would put another 10-12 into my truck. Having a hard time justifying that instead of just buying a new one. But will need to get 8k out of my old truck to cover down payment etc. so payment won’t be 800+. Don’t really want to go back to gas truck but they are way cheaper. Sorry I’m rambling.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I here Ya Maryland, Its simple the Cummins cost less to maintain and parts for the 6.7 can be hat at even implement Dealers. V-8 DSL cost more upfront and maintenance will be higher and at times considerably higher, Like the 6.7 Ford a piece of Plastic cost $100.00+ at the Blue Oval. Until Fiat wakes up and makes big changes (Although I know many changes coming in 2022) , maybe its just better to buy gas NOW.

I bleed DSL but Gas being $1.70PG and DSL $2.40PG the 1/2 DSL doesn't even pencil Today. My 2019 1500 Ram Limited Fuel cost last year were (If memory serve me ) like $320.00 less than the 3.0 in 2018 and the Insurance on the Limited was $360.00 less from June 2019 to June 2020.In the 1/2 Market the DSL residual end sale diminishes, Not like the Big Pickup DSL that hold its value at sale or trade in.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
The emissions system including the factory tune especially after the AEM government detune is killing these trucks. The EGR soot & Asphaltene (unburnt diesel hard particles) recirculator is clogging oiling ie lubrication passages causing bearing failures. At least that's the rumor and what evidence suggests. What else irks me is that it’s proven that the EGR is not required to meet emissions outputs but our out of control EPA overlords insist on it anyway. That style gov wants us on tax payer paid government approved trains battery cars & bicycles anyway.

The silver lining to us for the 14/15/16 models was that FCA was forced to pay $3,150 for owners to get the government approved AEM tune which smartly could be put toward a much cleaner aftermarket tune that also turns the EGR off. Green Diesel Engineering, HD diesel, & SKT sofa king tuned offer these at about $1k for both an engine and transmission tune. After which your oil starts to get dark around 8k miles instead of 2,500 miles. Miraculously the orange check engine light will no longer send you to the dealer service bay for piddly stuff. Mileage & power improve and you can get the benefit of a computer controlled engine brake. The engine brake is very useful reassuring and helps your service brakes to stay cool and last when descending a long grade especially with a heavy trailer pushing you. I transport travel trailers & boats from Mfgrs to dealerships commercially with my 14 ED so I really benefit from this feature. So I routinely use it with the TBC to control descent speed generally without use of the truck brakes. This has helped the truck average over 200k miles per set of brakes over the trucks 730,000 miles.

After an aftermarket tune and EGR cooler delete or replacement and with proper maintenance the ED generally is a reliable & super fuel efficient lil motor. Especially towing as long as you are keeping to 1/2 appropriate loads and only towing to 65 mph with something that has lots of drag like a travel trailer. Once you install an aftermarket tune you can also do an EGR COOLER delete with no codes and since EGR is turned off you no longer need it. The EGR cooler is prone to developing leaks internally sending coolant out your pipes which causes more problems.

My first motor tuned at 30k went 371,000 miles before pushing a head gasket. Likely due to low coolant from a leaking EGR cooler which caused hot spots steam & pressure to push the gasket out. Head gaskets are a non cost effective fix IMO. So I put a new motor in as it came with new turbo, high pressure fuel pump & injectors plus a 24 month unlimited mile warranty. None of which would I have gotten with new head gaskets.

My 2nd motor has 359,000 miles tuned from day one. Personally no warranty concerns from using a tune despite that technically it can be used to void warranty if Ram could prove the tune caused the failure. I don’t know of any such cases in fact better motor life means less replacement motors for FCA. I’d rather invest in trouble free operation & longevity than hope to collect on a warranty before it expires anyway. Friend James who is also a transporter has 390,000 miles on his tuned ED. Don’t hate on the motor or FCA if you’re having emissions driven issues hate on the EPA then invest in a tune.

As to the reluctor wheel failures seems Ram is in process of doing a recall replacement thing with them. I never had a reluctor ring failure with my first motor and its literally been my only issue with the 2nd motor. I am hoping once Ram announces the specifics of the reluctor ring recall replacement that they will reimburse those of us who have already paid for this repair.

After subtracting out the exchange rate the cost is more competitive.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hate the EPA, how does the 10,000+ rotating mass failures connected to the EPA? If any Owners wants to hate (Something) I don't recommend Hate unless its connected to the correct Source, and the correct source for the Ecodiesel Is the 3.0VM Motori.

Asking Owners to Pay $5,000.00 more for the 3.0VM, then castrate the Emissions at $1000.00+ More Plus loosing Your Warranty on a Power plant that has problems that continue is IMO, advice I would not sponsor.

In Order for the1500 DSL to survive it Needs to be Error and costly free (Just maintenance Cost) for 200K miles.

I will add that only 1.0% of vehicles make it to 200K on just maintenance, What percentage the Power plant plays in that 1% is extremely hard to separate.

Reliability 2014-15
Not rated. The diesel engine, supplied by FCA company VM Motori is unproven, and some reports emerged in the winter of 2015 regarding a condition called Hydraulic Lock, which disabled a number of engines. Unproven air suspension. An extended warranty from FCA is recommended if you plan to keep this truck past the powertrain warranty period.

Reliability 2016-xx-18
Predicted reliability is average to below average. The diesel engine, supplied by FCA company VM Motori is unproven, with reports emerging of a condition called Hydraulic Lock disabling a number of engines as well as disturbing reports of outright engine failures. Replacing the diesel engine requires the cab of the truck being removed from the chassis. Air suspensions generally cost more to repair and require more frequent service after several Canadian winters. An extended warranty from FCA is recommended if you plan to keep this truck past the powertrain warranty period, especially is equipped with the diesel engine.

The 3L-V6 turbodiesel, which has a poor reputation for reliability, is not offered on this latest-generation Ram.

Reliability 2020
New vehicle, not rated due to insufficient data. Predicted reliability is average. Avoid the optional air suspension as it has proven troublesome (especially in winter), fails prematurely and is very expensive to repair. The previous iteration of the turbodiesel was unreliable. An oil-based anti-rust treatment is recommended.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
Traded my dead eco for a Ford Super duty! Dealer gave me 14k for my supposedly blown eco. It did sound like it was having bottom end clunking at low RPMs. When dealer started it and ran it in Limp mode today! Looked also like the EGR cooler was going. Had topped up fluids less than a month ago. And after the time wheel stop/code and sitting at dealer for 5 or so days coolant was very low! 128480 on eco to 59428 on a 6.7 and a 75K Ford protect warranty from purchase. And a lower payment was a no brained for me. Will miss my little Ram. But got a truck I needed for a good price and won’t have to worry about the failure down the road! Only way I would own another is if I got a very low mile used truck and deleted ALL of the emissions from it and tuned it ASAP. I waited too long to do the tune.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Maryland, Just remember the Ford 6.7 has the same fuel system as the Ram CP4 plus two more Injectors. Other than that just some early Valve issues 2010-11, Again save some $$$$ for the future Maintenance, and the Blue Oval not any better at Warranty than Ram, So document everything well. Thanks for the Update and Carry On. :)

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Don't be a dolt I used hate figuratively. Perhaps read it again I did not ask or advise anyone. I shared information that largely seems to be hidden from people over here.

Maryland ECO

Oct 31, 2020
Truck Year
Maryland, Just remember the Ford 6.7 has the same fuel system as the Ram CP4 plus two more Injectors. Other than that just some early Valve issues 2010-11, Again save some $$$$ for the future Maintenance, and the Blue Oval not any better at Warranty than Ram, So document everything well. Thanks for the Update and Carry On. :)
Absolutely, thx for everything I will still post results of my oil Analysis once it comes back. Any truck can have issues, I get that. Just happier to have a motor that more people understand and tune etc.... headed over to those forums to get the best tune. 👍🏻

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Absolutely, thx for everything I will still post results of my oil Analysis once it comes back. Any truck can have issues, I get that. Just happier to have a motor that more people understand and tune etc.... headed over to those forums to get the best tune. 👍🏻

Yep........

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
“The hidden things are found on other sites.”

People come to automotive forums like this for information and help with their vehicles. You sensor the information so people cannot find solutions to their automotive issues. Amazing.

Personally, Vern, I am really thankful and appreciate ALL you input and feedback on ALL the RAM forums. I look to you info as the most informed and trusted for getting the right info for any questions about our ecoD's. Keep up the great responses. Thanks

hossman

Oct 3, 2019
Truck Year
I just got my letter sounds like it’ll be a recall coming up once they figure out all the details.

Attachments

• 444C8BDF-7D67-45EE-A9EF-70F735371731.jpeg
    444C8BDF-7D67-45EE-A9EF-70F735371731.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 26