• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No.......

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
I just got notice that the software fix is now available. It doesn't fix your tone wheel, just allows the truck to run instead of completely dying when it goes bad. Dealer says its a 10 minute flash and they are calling it done. So, I consider myself very lucky to have gotten FCA to replace the wheel 3 weeks ago even if it was the old part. The first one lasted 97k miles so at least I am not worried about this particular problem.

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
They seem to do well HWY/Deleted. That options not available to many.

In HWY Used Deleted then can make some high miles, That use should NOT be consider in DD, Vern use, is deceptive for the greater majority of Ecodiesel owners should be disregarded. Their are always exceptions to every rule, its the norm that should be considered not exceptions, because if the norm happens to you are NO longer the exception.
My daily commute is 35 miles each way on interstate so I think its running good. I've never seen notice of a regen, I think the hwy miles are keeping it clean.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Remove your differ Tube and check out the plenum and swirl Valves, You'll be re-thinking the clean comment.

Jarhead007

Feb 18, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that the sensor is covered as part of the factory powertrain warranty? I've got 67k miles on my 2015 eco.
There is a recall on this problem. At this time they do not have a fix.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
After throwing consistent "service throttle control" errors, limping 70 miles back to town twice, and spending 2 full days in the delaership on 2 different occasions, all the dealer could find was a slight anomaly in fuel rail pressue. As a result, they replaced all of my injectors and associated equipment on their dime. Afterwards, I came on here to see if anybody had experienced similar, and TC Diesel recommended I check the inside of my intake and diffuser tube. My truck had 37k miles at the time.

After removing the slow death foam (another TC Diesel recommendation), fuel pump cover, and taking apart the intake, I found (as TC Diesel predicted) the diffuser tube and intake were completely caked with soot and coke. I took pictures of both and contacted my dealer in Des Moines, IA. After speaking to the service manager and ensuring him that this was a factory EGR problem and insisting that they needed to replace my inatke manifold, they reluctantly agreed at no charge. In 2019, average folks on this site knew more about what was going on with these engines than the dealer techs. This was April of 2019. A short time later I purchased the GDE engine and trans tune and used the FCA settlement money to recoup my GDE costs.

Fast forward to now, and I have over 105k miles and haven't had any significant issues since I installed the GDE ECM and trans tune. During a recent cold spell I saw the dreaded "service throttle control error" again, and my local mechanic was able to clear it without any problems. While he was under the hood I had him clean the map sensor on the cab side of the intake for good measure. I bought a $100 bluetooth obd tool and will clear any future errors myself.

The next step for me is to get the VB1 and W58 recalls addressed. I called the dealer and they only had 2 of 3 parts and it would be a couple weeks to get the final part. I'm hopeful I can get these taken care of in the next 30 days or so. As a sidenote, the guys at GDE have been awesome to work with on the proper process for getting the recalls done and ECM/trans tune re-flashed afterwards.

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Ok so back to the issue of the crank sensor fault caused by the tone wheel ring magnet delamination. Apparently there are 2 recalls, W58 and W68. Specifically the W58 fix which is a new PCM software flash but no actual physical parts are repaired/replaced. So if the crankshaft sensor loses signal, the PCM then uses the camshaft sensor to continuing running.

The question is if this is a permanent fix or just a band aid??

a) Permanent meaning the engine will continue to operate normally using the camshaft sensor and the tone wheel ring does not need to be repaired/replaced.

b) Band aid meaning when the vehicle loses the crankshaft sensor signal, the vehicle continues to operate in limp mode via the camshaft sensor until it is turned off. And once turned off, the vehicle will not restart and now requires the tone wheel ring to be replaced to get back to running normal.

Does anyone know which answer is the correct one for the W58 software fix?

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
I think its a band-aid. Mine broke before the software fix was available and after lots of screaming they replaced the wheel and sensor. I have not had the software flash done yet.

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
I think its a band-aid. Mine broke before the software fix was available and after lots of screaming they replaced the wheel and sensor. I have not had the software flash done yet.

That is my fear and it truly is not a fix for such a safety recall. A software band aid which only allows you to get off the road somewhat safely does not fix the problem and a recall is supposed to be fixed by the manufacturer.

Apparently under recall W68, Stellantis (formerly FCA; AKA Chrysler) will fix the tone wheel as the recall states.

So I've been wondering why the W58 exists. My current understanding is recall W58 applies to all Ecodiesel owners who have accepted the AEM EPA settlement. Under W58 you get a software update that doesn't really fix the problem. This just makes it so the vehicle does not completely lose power while you are driving. The PCM reads the camshaft sensor so you can just make it out of the way and once you turn the vehicle off that's it; it will not restart. And, you have to then pay for the expensive real fix (by replacing the crankshaft tone wheel which is covered under recall W68) out of your pocket because you received payment via the settlement.

Whereas if you have not accepted the AEM settlement payment, your vehicle is truly fixed by replacing the tone wheel for free by Chrysler via W68.

I am not sure if my understanding is 100% accurate but it seems to be the case. And to be honest, I do not understand how this is allowed by the NHTSA if W58 does not actually allow the vehicle to operate in a normal condition.

Attachments

• FCA Safety Recall W68.pdf
    98.5 KB · Views: 7

flat4fever

Jan 7, 2021
Truck Year
Interesting, I bought mine used and its W58, so I guess that means the previous owner got the settlement. No worries on that score, but I am sure glad I was able to get them to do the tone wheel and sensor for mine. I guess I got W68 service because the W58 wasn't ready and I hounded the crap out of them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its My understanding that Vehicle's that are NOT AEM 2014-16 certified cannot have any recalls performed, the reason being its against the Settlement to perform work on any non-Approved vehicle.

Example: If AECD are decommissioned it violates the agreement, it would be liken to releasing a vehicle that is NON CAA approved.

Its easy for FCA to check when the job is summited for Payment (Recall) the VIN would result in denial of payment.

See below.Dealer_V08_Ecodeiesel_2015.JPG

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
@TC Diesel so since I have not had the aem flash, no fix for tone wheel? Doesn’t matter to me I purchased and installed the fix for tailgate. Every time my truck leaves my hands it comes back with an issue or the cel would come on so it’s just easier to do my own thing. If anyone can dig up a part number for the new tone ring that would be awesome.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I will the next time I open My Tech Authority Account, Fiat Charges for the time used today.

If I was 25+ Years Younger I would open brick and Mortar Stores again, The whole darn repair Industry is lacking Skill and Knowledge. The Dealerships That I'm vested In takes Billions $$$, Some people ask How much of that Corporation do You own, Using a vehicle for Illustrative Purposes, the Chrome on a bumper, the rest is own by the Pohlad's and Partners.

You can also open an account its $35.00 for three Days. Buy Mopar Approved Service Information

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Its My understanding that Vehicle's that are NOT AEM 2014-16 certified cannot have any recalls performed, the reason being its against the Settlement to perform work on any non-Approved vehicle.

Example: If AECD are decommissioned it violates the agreement, it would be liken to releasing a vehicle that is NON CAA approved.

Its easy for FCA to check when the job is summited for Payment (Recall) the VIN would result in denial of payment.

See below.View attachment 3330
Thanks for the feedback. If that is the case then what would be the purpose of 2 separate recalls for the exact same failure mode and safety issue on the same model year vehicles and engine?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
One's software Flash so the OP can use the Cam sensor to operate Injection events, the other is for Parts and labor.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks tc.

My local dealer told me flat out that the techs are about 5-10 years behind on the technology and gadget troubleshooting. Basically they release new stuff every year on these vehicles and the techs don’t have time for training so they learn on the fly. If it’s acting up they replace it. If that doesn’t fix it they work their way up the line replacing parts instead of trying to determine the true cause of any issue.

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
One's software Flash so the OP can use the Cam sensor to operate Injection events, the other is for Parts and labor.
That is interesting in that I have never encountered this in my over 25 years of automotive electrical experience. Also I personally have not received the W68 letter nor does the VIN on my RAM show up on the W68 recall just the W58. So simply put, something does not add up. Also, might want to read the description of remedy on page 4 of the file I just attached.

Attachments

• Recall Report 20V-475 W58 W68.PDF
    211.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: