• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Having said that I'm considering buying the part and taking it along in order to facilitate a repair in the remote areas I end up in.

I'm in remote areas a lot of the time. Mopar covers towing under the powertrain warranty, so I haven't worried about the towing cost, yet. Does the AEM extended warranty cover towing?

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
Are you saying that when the tone wheel fails the sensor has also failed because it can no longer sense the tone wheel? That when a new tone wheel is installed the sensor would then work properly because it really wasn't broken,
Am I interpreting what you said correctly?
Of course. The AED extended warranty doesn't cover specific parts. What is warranted is the proper operation of the "Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor." The warranty reads "Subject to standard limitations like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of non-certified parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed below." (My italics). No specific parts are called out or excluded.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
dkingpt, Many CKT sensors operations are by Hall effects with cog ring, Not/Nutso so with the 3.0VM its wheel with magnetic strip. The CKT was a problem before/during AEM. No doubt in My mind VM knew that the tone ring was the problem and negated to share that info with anyone ( another reason why VM sucks) during AEM negotiations (Likely) Fiat/VM were willing to accept the sensor as part of the warranty coverage Knowing it was NOT the Problem, unfortunately, the EPA Reps did Not Investigate the real problem, Myself and others publicly posted the Failures. Many 3.0VM owners today are paying a high price when website(s) Hmmm delete/censor or band members for the postings 3.0VM short comings .

dkingpt

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
I'm in remote areas a lot of the time. Mopar covers towing under the powertrain warranty, so I haven't worried about the towing cost, yet. Does the AEM extended warranty cover towing?
Not explicitly that I can see.

When our EGR valve failed in 2019, we limped into the dealer under our own power. When the service manager indicated the seriousness of the problem, we contacted Customer Care right away. Because of a broken glo plug the repair took forever. Ultimately we spent more than two weeks waiting in Sonora and left without the truck. Customer care paid for a loaner and, ultimately, to have the truck shipped 800 miles to us in WA state after it was finally fixed. And they reimbursed us for the U-Haul we had to rent to tow the trailer back home.

The customer care rep we had clearly was working from some guidelines that dictated what she could offer to cover - we were out-of-pocket for the campsite fees while we waited, for instance - but I'm unaware of anything that made them legally obligated to cover what they did. I've never bought extended warranties, etc.

YMMV, but I'd always ask.

I have coverage for towing for the truck and the trailer through insurance.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Deleted. LOL. Not the truck, the post

Last edited:

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.
I had the same issue. This is a recall issue and Mopar covered the repairs.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Recall update: dropped truck at dealer today for VB1 and W58. Service tech tries to tell me they only change out the EGR after inspection to see if its leaking. I told him that I'd been waiting for 5 weeks for the parts, and the only reason I was in town today was because the service manager said they had the parts per my VIN. A couple scoffs and snorts later he comes back and says, "yeah, your truck is approved for the new EGR." Dealer estimated 3/4 day to complete the work, but fortunately they only needed 2.5 hours.

First impressions of recall... Dealer completed the VB1, W58, and VA7, and 3 miles down the freeway after leaving I got a "Service DEF system" error. Not impressed or surprised... I pulled over at our next stop for the day, pulled out my OBD and reset the codes. 75 miles later it remained error free.

After restoring stock trans and engine tunes for these recalls, I didn't remember and couldn't believe how big of a dog this truck is without GDE. In fact, if I had to drive it in its current state, it would be on the sale block. Shift points are just awful, revving to around 3,300 RPM just to get up to highway speeds and constantly downshifting from 8-7 for mild grades going 60-70 mph- (1,900-2,500 RPMs). With current tune it consistently runs at higher RPMs to get the same job done and downshifts far more often. Fortunately I have my GDE ECU here at home, and I will bolting it back on and restoring my trans tune later today.

Tunes reinstalled without any issues and I HAVE MY TRUCK BACK. Night and day difference.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Can anybody provide a link to a site where a guy can buy the tone wheel and position sensor? I have a hunting trip to MT coming up in September, and I'm thinking about having them replaced beforehand.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Can anybody provide a link to a site where a guy can buy the tone wheel and position sensor? I have a hunting trip to MT coming up in September, and I'm thinking about having them replaced beforehand.

You won't need to replace the sensor unless the tone wheel fails and takes it out. Here are two links. I don't think this is the updated tone wheel, though. I'd be looking for the new 'updated' part.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
You won't need to replace the sensor unless the tone wheel fails and takes it out. Here are two links. I don't think this is the updated tone wheel, though. I'd be looking for the new 'updated' part.

Thank you sir! As a quick head's up, the sensor you listed is for the Cherokee. The RAM version is slightly differentt and about $40 cheaper.
https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...-Crankshaft-Position/14887851/68490180AA.html

Last edited:

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.
What were the main codes that showed up or lights? Would it crank after this happened?

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I'm tuned and deleted through MRT and cut out mid highway Sunday with the service electronic throttle light, i pulled over and shut it off now it will crank and push white smoke smelling of fuel out the exhaust. Trying to track down whats happened before throwing parts at it

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
As a quick head's up, the sensor you listed is for the Cherokee. The RAM version is slightly differentt and about $40 cheaper.

Oh, good catch.

rholmes363

Jul 22, 2020
Truck Year
Stopped by the dealer yesterday to discuss the crank position sensor recall for my 2015 EcoDiesel. Asked if I could pay for replacement since the recall is a software fix to use the cam sensor, and I have no desire for another software update given how well the first two recalls managed to kill performance (which I finally corrected with a SofaKing tune). Dealer said they are not allowed to replace the sensor, they can only do the recall. But they can sell me a sensor for someone else to replace. Used my VIN number to look up the part number, said it was 68490180AA, $117 and readily available. Did not ask about the tone ring, which appears to be the real failure looking at this thread. Is there an updated tone ring, or just the original and the clock starts again before failure? Have less than 40,000 miles on the truck, only used when I need to carry or pull something

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Here's what another forum poster reported for a tone wheel replacement by an independent shop.

Total costs were tone wheel $45.35, Transmission heater connections $53.40 x 2 (can't buy the o-rings alone, need the tubes), an4 qt ZF synthetic ATF ($115.80), and $589 in labor = $856.95. $3500 estimate from the dealer,

The part number from a dealer invoice is
Crankshaft Tone Wheel (DS/WK) 68493358AA
The bad tone wheels were 2014 -2019 and anything after are good.

Last edited:

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
Here's what another forum poster reported for a tone wheel replacement by an independent shop.

Total costs were tone wheel $45.35, Transmission heater connections $53.40 x 2 (can't buy the o-rings alone, need the tubes), an4 qt ZF synthetic ATF ($115.80), and $589 in labor = $856.95. $3500 estimate from the dealer,

The part number from a dealer invoice is
Crankshaft Tone Wheel (DS/WK) 68493358AA
The bad tone wheels were 2014 -2019 and anything after are good.
In discussion with my dealer here in Michigan back in April when I had the VB1 and W58 recalls completed, if the tone (i.e. reluctor) wheel fails and does not damage the crank sensor then parts and labor are not covered by the AEM extended warranty. The parts and labor would only be covered if the tone wheel magnet blows apart and takes out the crank sensor as well. Nice loophole, huh?
And at the time, they could not tell me the part number of the NEW tone wheel being used to actually fix the problem.

In any event, I am not willing to wait and see if I get lucky or not. I want to get the new tone wheel on my truck ASAP.

So for the sake of clarity, is 68493358AA the NEW part number or the OLD (BAD) part number?

Thanks!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
That's a good dealer. Everything they told you is correct. I'm told the part number did not change. It's the same part and the batch or batches that had the bad wheels was used up in 2019.

haln8dad

Feb 4, 2019
Truck Year
That's a good dealer. Everything they told you is correct. I'm told the part number did not change. It's the same part and the batch or batches that had the bad wheels was used up in 2019.
Interesting about the part number not changing. Normally the part number would bump revisions at a minimum. For example, if they were going to keep the base 68493358, the AA suffix at the end should become AB. I have many years experience working with the OEMs as a supplier and very familiar with each part number nomenclature. This has become a common problem with Chrysler, FCA, Stellantis recently. Without the bump in part number there is not an easy way to define engineering part changes. SMH!

Guess I will just have to buy one and hope it is not old stock!