• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

woodfoot

Jul 13, 2019
Truck Year
Mine delaminated at 148,000 miles on 2016 4WD Ecodiesel. Dealer quoted $3500 (no joke) for the repair, so I paid the $250 for the inspection with borescope to confirm the problem, and had the actual repair done by a local transmission shop for $850. It is a simple job to replace, but the transmission does need to be removed. In my case, I was rocking the vehicle back and forth when stuck in a snowbank, and zipped up the revs at onepoint, at which the engine immediately died, flashed a service electronic throttle control and a service trailer brake system. After that would crank and crank with no start. There are two recalls for this problem, but only for some VINs, which did not include mine. Nice bonus about having the independent shop do it is I got to keep the tone wheel, and see that the magnetic strip was cracked at several locations in addition to the part that came off. So in my opinion, failure of this part is going to be the rule rather than the exception for any high mileage engine. Only other major problem I've had with the truck is the EGR cooler, which was replaced at 50,000 miles. Obviously I'm never going back to that dealership for anything,...but the truck itself has been very reliable (with the GDE tune), and I do like it a lot.
Also, another bonus is that the shop apparently changed the transmission fluid, . Total costs were tone wheel ($45.35), Transmission heater connections 53.40 x 2 (can't buy the o-rings alone, need the tubes), an4 qt ZF synthetic ATF ($115.80), and $589 in labor. Anyone ever needs a good transmission shop in southern Wisc, let me know...$3500 estimate from the dealer,....remember, dealer charges 4 times as much as independent shop.

Attachments

• P2730625.JPG
    P2730625.JPG
    602 KB · Views: 19
  • P2730626.JPG
    P2730626.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 21
  • P2730628.JPG
    P2730628.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I called FCA Customer Care, and gave them my VIN. The woman (Beatrice) said that the recalls did not apply to my VIN. When I asked her how they determine which VINs get the recalls, she said that she could not disclose that information. I got the feeling they determined it based on the factory that produced the tone wheels, and the date, but have no direct evidence of that. It is a total sham, as my wheel failed in the exact same way all the other ones did. I'll post a picture of it if I can. My date of manufacture from the door sticker is 2-16, and when I enter the VIN on the https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls page, many open recalls are listed for my vehicle, but neither W58 or W68. FYI, I have not had V08 recall done yet, but intend to so that I get the $3025. Postponed as long as possible so as to maximize the stretch of the 4 yr/48,000 warranty extension associated with having V08 done. Had to get a junkyard PCM so as not to have the GDE tune erased.
Hmmm. My guess is because you've neither opted out nor had the V08 completed your VIN doesn't exist for either. You're in a black hole :>) Once you get the V08 I bet you get the W58 notice.

By the way, VA7 is the improved version of V08. I waited until VA7 had been out for a while to get it. Ran it for a short period just to see what it was like and then put my SFT tunes back on. The VA7 was very satisfactory in my truck.

DRC

Feb 16, 2021
Truck Year
W58 and W68 Recalls

Here’s what I’ve learned. Both of these recalls deal with the same issue. The “crankshaft position sensor tone wheel” may fail causing the engine to suddenly stall and not restart.

W58 - is a software only modification that instructs the engine to use the camshaft position sensor if the crankshaft position sensor fails, preventing the truck from stalling. It’s not clear to me how the truck will run after this happens, but I’m assuming it goes into limp mode until the crankshaft position sensor is physically repaired.

W68 is the actual replacement of the position sensor - does not require it to fail first.

As I have had the Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) applied (and taken the settlement money) I get W58. I received the official notification letter and have made a service appointment at the dealer.

If you opted NOT to have the AED applied, the software fix is not available for you and they have to replace the part under W68 to eliminate the risk that the truck may suddenly and dangerously quit running. As both fixes do that, they meet the requirements for a SAFETY recall.

But who pays for the hardware repair that’s required if the tone wheel fails after the software patch is applied - putting the truck into limp mode. That repair is covered under the extended warranty that came with the AEM. Under “Other Sensors that are Covered- Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor” is listed.

FCA is betting (and hoping) that MOST of the tone rings hang on and don’t need replacement. I hope so to. But I’m covered if it doesn’t.
Ah, I had the "software update" done. If I read your post correctly it would have been better to have had the W68. I bought my '15 about a year ago, so I did not know about the "but backs, settlements etc." and the problems with these trucks until after I bought it. I joined some groups and discovered that many people have had severe problems. I guess I should have done some research on these trucks before I purchased one. I have always wanted a diesel, but I could not afford the "good one" Cummins. So far I have had no problems and the truck runs very well.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I have always wanted a diesel, but I could not afford the "good one" Cummins. So far I have had no problems and the truck runs very well.

I wouldn't get too discouraged. The EcoDiesel has some known problems, but there are many happy EcoDiesel owners.

We had a 2006 Cummins for 10 years and loved it, but it was only useful for towing or highway travel. The 1500 EcoDiesel is more conducive as a daily driver and for light duty towing. Don't get me wrong, I plan to buy another Cummins in 2025, but that will be a third truck to add to our 2015 and 2020 EcoDiesel.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Ah, I had the "software update" done. If I read your post correctly it would have been better to have had the W68. I bought my '15 about a year ago, so I did not know about the "but backs, settlements etc." and the problems with these trucks until after I bought it. I joined some groups and discovered that many people have had severe problems. I guess I should have done some research on these trucks before I purchased one. I have always wanted a diesel, but I could not afford the "good one" Cummins. So far I have had no problems and the truck runs very well.
You do your research on the forums, any manufacturer, any forum, and you are sure to find plenty of problems.
Think about the hundreds of thousands of no problem, satisfied customers who have never been on a forum so their experiences are never known. So, bottom line, forum research is very helpful to learn about problems but heavily skewed in that regard.

My 2016 1500 Eco has been excellent. Never a problem. Dealer visits only for recalls or updates.
Hoping your truck will be problem-free as well.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John, That work both ways, I know of owners on 3rd & 4th Motors that have never type a single letter at any forum.

Weather You believe the VM 3.0 % of problems out weigh its benefit, it Numbers are dropping , its only Time before Fiat Dumps VM for another power plant or The Diesel Ram 1/2 will no longer be in production.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Recall update: dropped truck at dealer today for VB1 and W58. Service tech tries to tell me they only change out the EGR after inspection to see if its leaking. I told him that I'd been waiting for 5 weeks for the parts, and the only reason I was in town today was because the service manager said they had the parts per my VIN. A couple scoffs and snorts later he comes back and says, "yeah, your truck is approved for the new EGR." Dealer estimated 3/4 day to complete the work, but fortunately they only needed 2.5 hours.

First impressions of recall... Dealer completed the VB1, W58, and VA7, and 3 miles down the freeway after leaving I got a "Service DEF system" error. Not impressed or surprised... I pulled over at our next stop for the day, pulled out my OBD and reset the codes. 75 miles later it remained error free.

After restoring stock trans and engine tunes for these recalls, I didn't remember and couldn't believe how big of a dog this truck is without GDE. In fact, if I had to drive it in its current state, it would be on the sale block. Shift points are just awful, revving to around 3,300 RPM just to get up to highway speeds and constantly downshifting from 8-7 for mild grades going 60-70 mph- (1,900-2,500 RPMs). With current tune it consistently runs at higher RPMs to get the same job done and downshifts far more often. Fortunately I have my GDE ECU here at home, and I will bolting it back on and restoring my trans tune later today.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I had the W58 completed last week. This week I installed the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. I'm still loving my 2015 EcoDiesel. It just turned 93,000 miles.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I had the W58 completed last week. This week I installed the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. I'm still loving my 2015 EcoDiesel. It just turned 93,000 miles.
Glad to hear it. I love the truck too and have put 74k miles on it since I bought it with 31k. Had recurrent "service throttle control" issues early on at around 35k miles, and dealer replaced all the fuel injectors and lines to throw me a bone (they had no idea what the root cause of the issues were). Since then, and especially after having intake manifold replaced due to soot build up and after GDE installation, it has been virtually trouble free. Very comfortable in the Laramie trim and the 4 wheel air bags provide a better ride than most cars. Also fantastic for trailering my 17' deep V boat on the weekends, and GDE trans tune and engine braking are awesome.

I will re-installing my non-compliant ECU later on today and hopefully I can get over 200k on this truck.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Very comfortable in the Laramie trim and the 4 wheel air bags provide a better ride than most cars. Also fantastic for trailering my 17' deep V boat on the weekends, and GDE trans tune and engine braking are awesome.

I haven't had a chance to do any towing yet with the GDE tune, but I'm looking forward to seeing how she performs with the tune.

I will re-installing my non-compliant ECU later on today and hopefully I can get over 200k on this truck.

200,000 miles is my target goal as well. Thankfully replacement engines are fairly affordable.

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
I want to give @TC Diesel a YUUGE shoutout. He has answered all my questions on here and sacrificed a lot of time on the phone helping me make the right decisions with this truck. He adds a ton of value to this site and to folks like me that are diesel newbies.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I want to give @TC Diesel a YUUGE shoutout. He has answered all my questions on here and sacrificed a lot of time on the phone helping me make the right decisions with this truck. He adds a ton of value to this site and to folks like me that are diesel newbies.
110% agree. He not only helps and contributes, he knows a lot.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
110% agree. He not only helps and contributes, he knows a lot.

I would like to know why he was banned from the Ram 1500 Diesel Forum.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The truth... I forecasted the VM 3.0 failures Years in advance, Certain Mods at the site can Call it whatever, Make false claims, Mislead their fellow Man in covering up, that site (some) mods are most anti-factual in My 40 Year business Career. I see them as haters, Yep agree with the 1500diesel.xxx Gods or you will be banned. Although Shawn Capson was aggressive in his postings Several Mods at that site condescending remarks had a big impact on Him, I spoke to Shawn on the phone and it did Not take me long to see he was Troubled.. RIP, May God get to a select member of those Mods ( At the appropriate Time) before I do, Because God May show mercy <I will NOT>

The last act was 97hmcs , He discovered I was deleting My postings ( Because he was following Me) sent Me a PM asking if I wanted to be a member, I stated I'm going to delete all My posting, That's when He Banned ME, He and that site can't handle rejection.

Blue & Crash68, are by far the best Mods that site has.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Although Shawn Capson was aggressive in his postings Several Mods at that site condescending remarks had a big impact on Him, I spoke to Shawn on the phone and it did Not take me long to see he was Troubled.. RIP

I really liked Shawn. His YouTube videos were/are helpful. Looking back, it's easy to place judgement or find flaws in some things that Shawn theorized, but at that time, the EcoDiesel was new and he was searching for truth. I didn't join the forum until Shawn had already passed, so I'm not sure what all transpired.

I wished we all could get along. We don't need to agree on everything. Forums are supposed to be there for different ideas, different theories, different strategies, and different priorities.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Biodiesel, I agree. I cannot accept or be a member of any organization, forum ,group that suppresses anyone's opinion.

Example, 100s of current Ecodiesel Have call Me on possible Ownership, I discourage Buying do to the risk of ownership, Some have followed it others have NOT. Some that have Not, asked How can I make it last, I clearly tell them in HWY use seems to do Well if used for DD, its only time until problems develop, and when they do ( Problems develop) I don't cast them off. I help were I can. I tell ALL owners to have a nest egg for repairs $$$$.

Call it what you like, Numbers at current sales rates have the 3.0VM Ram 1500 in questionable production , If Fiat does NOT change the power plant it will join the stop production category.

The Internet should be only a touchtone, You need to investigate all matters and make a judgement call Base on the opinions available, and if your going to take a leap of faith, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. WHY, because it always works.(y)

Last edited:

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I tell ALL owners to have a nest egg for repairs $$$$.

In May of 2020, I started saving $250 per month. Today, I have exactly $3,000 dollars.

The Internet should be only a touchtone, You need to investigate all matters and make a judgement call Base on the opinions available, and if your going to take a leap of faith, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. WHY, because it always works.(y)

I have to be careful when I show my enthusiasm for the EcoDiesel. Sometimes people interpret my love for the EcoDiesel for being "high quality" or "highly reliable", etc. When people ask for my advice, I tell them that it's been a great truck for me, but be prepared for possible problems, lots of maintenance, and some possible downtime.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep, that's the correct method, Knowledge is everything when its couple with understanding.

Even in this thread maybe its best if the 3.0VM stays home on long trips until VM comes up with a dependable fix. Back in 2016 I took My 3.0 to the Cabin in West Yellowstone in Aug, We stopped at Togwotee Mountain Lodge, after visiting friends in Dubois, I saw another Eco 3.0VM with the hood up at the Lodge and decided to Investigate and lend a Hand, I shared My Name and company, The owner mentioned He read many of My posts and said his entire Vacation is ruin because his Eco won't start, and the next closest dealership Is Jackson 58 miles away and not even able to look at it for 5 Days. I Pulled his Camper to West Yellowstone, and He and his wife rode in the Camper. He rented another truck from Bozeman MT. It was the tone ring and he flew to Jackson WY to Get His Truck, after returning Home with rental and Camper.