• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF pump failure

RonK

Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
Hi, Has anybody experienced a DEF pump failure? ($900.+). I have 65,000 miles on my Ecodoesel. I love the truck, but the 'Engine will not start in 200 miles' message is disturbing. It happened once when the truck was new and they replaced the DEF injector nozzle and the Catalytic converter under warranty. This time they say its the DEF pump and out of warranty. I thought that the emissions systems were warranted for longer due to Federal mandate.
Thanks

RonK

Sep 28, 2016
Truck Year
Oops, I didn't realize that this was supposed to be an introduction, sorry.
I've got a standard cab long bed 4WD no frills work truck. It's 2 years old and I've been averaging an honest 27 MPG. (Actual calculation every fill-up)
A lot of 700+ mile tanks.
I'm not new to diesels, as I've owned over a dozen in the last 38 years. The Ecodiesel and the Jetta TDI's are by far the most civilized.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I wonder if the pump is covered under the emissions warranty?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I didn't think of the pump not being under the emissions warranty.. but, it's a key part of keeping the trucks emissions "clean". I would fight that.. give Ram customer service a call and see what they say.

John

Nov 13, 2015
quoted from the OM:

The Emission Performance Warranty covers the cost of
repairing or adjusting any components or parts that
might be needed for your vehicle to pass Federal
Emission Standards for a federally approved state or
local emissions test, ....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
quoted from the OM:

The Emission Performance Warranty covers the cost of
repairing or adjusting any components or parts that
might be needed for your vehicle to pass Federal
Emission Standards for a federally approved state or
local emissions test, ....

Good info John.

I would take that paragraph to the dealer and fight it no doubt.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The def pump should be covered up to 80k miles under federal regulations. Also it's really easy to replace.

Randy G

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
I just had a message saying to service DEF and bring to dealer. Dealer told me my DEF Pump needs replaced and will cost $2300.
2014 Ram ecodiesel with 17000 miles. Does this seem like a high price?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just had a message saying to service DEF and bring to dealer. Dealer told me my DEF Pump needs replaced and will cost $2300.
2014 Ram ecodiesel with 17000 miles. Does this seem like a high price?

That should be under warranty with only 17K miles. Don't pay for anything.

Randy G

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
That should be under warranty with only 17K miles. Don't pay for anything.
the warranty on that part is 2year/24k whichever comes first. I looked it up, and the service guy told me over the phone that it was not under warranty. I wish it was.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
the warranty on that part is 2year/24k whichever comes first. I looked it up, and the service guy told me over the phone that it was not under warranty. I wish it was.

From the warranty manual:

A. Parts Covered for 2 Years or 24,000 Miles Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Staring at page 20, PDF attached.

Attachments

• 2016-RAM_15_Diesel_5_100-Generic_Warranty-3rd.pdf
    302.9 KB · Views: 6

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The price is extremely high and it should be under bumper to bumper warranty anyways. But if you have to repair out of pocket just fix it your self for under half the cost its an extremely easy repair. The part number is 68240043AB. Just drop the skid plate then unbolt the pump and disconnect the two wires. Then the pump just drops out but make sure and have a container under because it well drain.

Randy G

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
From the warranty manual:

A. Parts Covered for 2 Years or 24,000 Miles Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Staring at page 20, PDF attached.

The truck is a 2014 so the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sailor

Sep 18, 2018
Truck Year
Just was informed by my dealer that my 2015 needs to have the DEF system replaced because the DEF "crystallized". Checking with the gearheads in my circle, I'm told that the the pump itself costs $1500 and what they do is to get rid of the DEF system. I just moved 6 months ago and now live only 2.5 miles from my office. Have a Zurich comprehensive warranty for 6 years or 72K miles. Dealer doesn't know what Zurich position will be. Don't know if this thread is still alive, just searching for suggestions.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just was informed by my dealer that my 2015 needs to have the DEF system replaced because the DEF "crystallized". Checking with the gearheads in my circle, I'm told that the the pump itself costs $1500 and what they do is to get rid of the DEF system. I just moved 6 months ago and now live only 2.5 miles from my office. Have a Zurich comprehensive warranty for 6 years or 72K miles. Dealer doesn't know what Zurich position will be. Don't know if this thread is still alive, just searching for suggestions.

If you can't get the warranty to cover it, I would look at letting that DEF Pump and DPF falling off the truck.. of course, when it falls off you'll need the proper tuning and exhaust hardware.. :cool:

Randy G

Jun 14, 2018
Truck Year
What happened in my case was that I asked how my pump could be defective with 17k miles on it. They said that dodge would cover half the cost. I paid 800 for a new pump and install.
I also called a local auto and diesel shop. They stated I would have to bring it to dealership since the computer needed to be updated too.
I asked if the pump was corroded they said they could not see anything wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter55

Dec 22, 2020
Truck Year
Hi, I need to replace my DEF pump and was wondering if I should change out the injector.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Just clean the Injector.....

Hunter55

Dec 22, 2020
Truck Year
Hi, I found a DEF pump for my 2014 ram ecodiesel on molar parts for 369 dollars and one made by Bosch for 349 dollars. They both fit my truck and wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice about the Bosch brand .

AndyIRV

Nov 19, 2019
Truck Year
Have you tried steam cleaning the injector yet? Once apart it takes longer for the steamer to get to temp then cleaning.