• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Preheat in Progress - Bad glow plug cylinder 3

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Hey Guys - looking for some help here. I've been searching around online and can't find a good video of someone replaced a glow plug(s) on an ecodiesel. My truck is flashing 'Diesel Preheat in Progress'. It does it until the truck warms up, and then if I turn it off/back on it sometimes will go away. Truck is showing these two codes: P06BB and P0673. I'm assuming my issue is a bad glow plug cylinder 3 and wondering if someone can point be in the right direction so I know which plug it is under the hood as well as some tips removing it. Last thing I want to end up with is breaking it off. Thanks!

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Update to my first post. I’ll have the new plug tomorrow and will be installing sometime over the weekend. For others looking for information regarding the cylinder order, it is 123 passenger side, 456 driver side starting from the grille to firewall. I’m considering doing a how to step by step video to help others looking to tackle this in the future. If someone has a link to an existing video, let me know and I’ll reference on this thread.

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
Update to my first post. I’ll have the new plug tomorrow and will be installing sometime over the weekend. For others looking for information regarding the cylinder order, it is 123 passenger side, 456 driver side starting from the grille to firewall. I’m considering doing a how to step by step video to help others looking to tackle this in the future. If someone has a link to an existing video, let me know and I’ll reference on this thread.
Spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster or Kroil for a couple days before removing. Work it out slowly by slightly loosening and tightening.

The big problem is the design of the threads in the block that allow debris to collect above the glow plug.

Others have experienced the same code and it turned out to be a bad glow plug controller and not the plug itself.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to the video.

Here's a photo showing the design.

Attachments

• Glow Plug.JPG
    Glow Plug.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 218

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Glow plugs as John mentioned PIR, be careful ,The 3.0 Glow plugs are small and fragile, Brake one off and you will be using profanity. if it does not come out cold, start the engine and work it when running. it may take 10 minutes working it but it will come, don't get frustrated just work it, be patience.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just deleted a earlier post. I refuse to let members put down others when asking a question. We're here to learn, the whole point of a forum right?

Thanks to @John @TC Diesel continuing on helping our members in this thread, that's why this forum is here. Not to say "hey, you have no idea what you're doing, now go spend 2K at the dealer!"

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster or Kroil for a couple days before removing. Work it out slowly by slightly loosening and tightening.

The big problem is the design of the threads in the block that allow debris to collect above the glow plug.

Others have experienced the same code and it turned out to be a bad glow plug controller and not the plug itself.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to the video.

Here's a photo showing the design.
Wow, that is a great picture! literally worth 10,000 words. It is pretty easy to see why it is so hard to get out with those threads buried like that.
Where did you come by that photo?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Wow, that is a great picture! literally worth 10,000 words. It is pretty easy to see why it is so hard to get out with those threads buried like that.
Where did you come by that photo?
I had seen it on another site and saved it on my computer.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So here is a question for you folks who live in colder climates.
How long does it take for your truck to start after you turn the key on.
I live in western WA., pretty mild climate so my truck starts in a few seconds. No block heater needed

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You should only need the Block Heater in -0F, The wait to start is conditional and varies according to Ambient and last operation coolant temp.

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Replaced the glow plug yesterday and it went smoothly. I drove the truck about a half hour each way to/from the dealer to get the part so the engine was hot when I removed it. Here’s a quick step by step of what I did:

- Disconnect MAF senor, remove air box & air intake tube up to the 90 degree boot to the turbo
-removed the EGR Diffuser Tube to get a little more room to work (not really necessary but I would recommend)
-pull up on the small ‘t’ shaped plastic handle of the electrical connection to the glow plug. Might have to wiggle/twist as you pull but it should pop right off.
-spray some PB blaster, use a 6pt 1/4” drive socket and small 1/4” ratchet with a short extension (so you don’t use too much torque). Mine broke loose easily but started to get harder to turn after a couple if turns out. I just kept spraying PB and would go in and out a lil further each time. Probably took 20 mins of screwing in and out / waiting each time I sprayed PB for it to soak in.

New one went in just fine. Problem fixed!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Thanks for the report. Glad it went well. How many miles on that engine?

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Did you get to do the video??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Did you get to do the video??

Sorry, I wish I would have done one but I was crunched for time to get it done before our 3 month old woke up from a nap. I did take a few pictures though. The zoomed out picture with the yellow arrow is pointing down to the passenger side glow plugs, which are almost near the top of the engine. The picture with the blue line just shows where the EGR Diffuser tube goes, yellow circle is drawn around cylinder 2 glow plug, and the green arrow is pointing at where the cylinder 3 plug was. Then there's a closer look at the electrical connection on the glow plug. Hope these help.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.PNG
    IMG_0627.PNG
    867 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0622.PNG
    IMG_0622.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Sorry, I wish I would have done one but I was crunched for time to get it done before our 3 month old woke up from a nap. I did take a few pictures though. The zoomed out picture with the yellow arrow is pointing down to the passenger side glow plugs, which are almost near the top of the engine. The picture with the blue line just shows where the EGR Diffuser tube goes, yellow circle is drawn around cylinder 2 glow plug, and the green arrow is pointing at where the cylinder 3 plug was. Then there's a closer look at the electrical connection on the glow plug. Hope these help.

Excellent job there. My grandfather and father always taught me....what one man can do another can do. You proved that with this job, that would have scared so many other away.

If you don’t mind me asking what did the new glo plug cost you from the dealer?

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
Excellent job there. My grandfather and father always taught me....what one man can do another can do. You proved that with this job, that would have scared so many other away.

If you don’t mind me asking what did the new glo plug cost you from the dealer?

$66 after tax. I called around to see who had them in stock. One dealer was charging $74 plus tax. Not a big deal, but if you were buying more than one it would add up. They're also sold online for cheaper than I paid, but I wanted to pick it up and do it same day.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
$66 after tax. I called around to see who had them in stock. One dealer was charging $74 plus tax. Not a big deal, but if you were buying more than one it would add up. They're also sold online for cheaper than I paid, but I wanted to pick it up and do it same day.

Not bad at all for a consumable part. Thanks again!!

Reactions: SOP

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
We get them form Bosch for $12.00. Duramax's for $10.00.