• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Preheat in Progress - Bad glow plug cylinder 3

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They still work, You will often find that with Bosch. Example when GM found out Bosch was making a Part that would fit on a Cummins GM got PO so the next Year Bosch made the plug in with different guiding, Change the Part Number form the two.

SLT

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
So here is a question for you folks who live in colder climates.
How long does it take for your truck to start after you turn the key on.
I live in western WA., pretty mild climate so my truck starts in a few seconds. No block heater needed
I live in Yukon Territory. I plug in after 0*C, Block Heater and Oil pan Heater (Dealer installed). Truck starts 3 to 5 Sec.
after Key on. I have started at -37*C, not plugged in, no Electricity available, and it started the same, 3 to 5 Sec.
The Heater did not produce too much heat, the Cab was cool. Did not have the Winterfront on that time.
SLT

JoshZ79

Apr 9, 2018
Truck Year

Can you confirm these fit the ecodiesel? I have the exact same cylinder code as the OP, almost the same mileage on my truck as well. Dealer did the number five cylinder under warranty about 2000 miles ago but I’ve since deleted and got a GE tune on my truck. Also not very impressed with my dealer so I prefer to do the work myself.
You think it would be wise to change the other ones while I’m at it or just do them as they go? Dealer wanted $105 for 1. if I can get these Bosch for $25 a piece may just buy a few

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Glow plugs Just (*&(* IMO, I would at lease remove them ALL and lube with HIGH temp Anti-seize. . the link to Amazon GPs won't work to short and difference material. Inconel Vs Porcelain Pre-heat times change form 1.4 to 12.0....

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year
Sorry, I wish I would have done one but I was crunched for time to get it done before our 3 month old woke up from a nap. I did take a few pictures though. The zoomed out picture with the yellow arrow is pointing down to the passenger side glow plugs, which are almost near the top of the engine. The picture with the blue line just shows where the EGR Diffuser tube goes, yellow circle is drawn around cylinder 2 glow plug, and the green arrow is pointing at where the cylinder 3 plug was. Then there's a closer look at the electrical connection on the glow plug. Hope these help.

Can you remember where cylinder 4 glow plug is? I’m having trouble finding it.

Dream Big

Feb 1, 2017
Truck Year

jrizzil

Jun 19, 2018
Truck Year
This was a very helpful thread and thanks to those who have contributed. I attempted this repair on my truck today, but I'm afraid I stripped the threads and now the old plug is stuck. I went very slow, loosening and tightening, spraying and waiting each quarter turn or so for about 45 minutes. As it started to loosen, it felt like I was at the top of the threads, but I could never pull the plug out. Now it won't loosen or tighten anymore, it just spins (almost) freely.

I knew there was some risk involved with this, so now I'll have to face the cost to repair the head or whatever else it might be... I just figured I'd share my experience with the group.

At this point, what is the safest way to move the truck out of my driveway? I don't dare turn the key on or start it of course.

Thanks again.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This was a very helpful thread and thanks to those who have contributed. I attempted this repair on my truck today, but I'm afraid I stripped the threads and now the old plug is stuck. I went very slow, loosening and tightening, spraying and waiting each quarter turn or so for about 45 minutes. As it started to loosen, it felt like I was at the top of the threads, but I could never pull the plug out. Now it won't loosen or tighten anymore, it just spins (almost) freely.

I knew there was some risk involved with this, so now I'll have to face the cost to repair the head or whatever else it might be... I just figured I'd share my experience with the group.

At this point, what is the safest way to move the truck out of my driveway? I don't dare turn the key on or start it of course.

Thanks again.
I hate to say it but it sounds like a tow :(

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Thanks again.

Hey @jrizzil

Perhaps this gentlemen can provide more information for you?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Can you see the plug? I go to pick mine up from the shop this weekend. There is a special tool made to remove these plugs once SHTF. I broke mine but never could pull the remainder out so I left it in the hands of a coworkers brother to get it done. As long as you can’t remove the glow plug it should be okay for a short distance drive. I had my truck running during my attempt to remove and it didn’t cause a problem. Drove it 45+ minutes and 30 miles to the shop.

kevinfeco

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
They still work, You will often find that with Bosch. Example when GM found out Bosch was making a Part that would fit on a Cummins GM got PO so the next Year Bosch made the plug in with different guiding, Change the Part Number form the two.
TC, the plug you linked to is a 4V plug. the 0250603008 is a 7V. won't the 4V fail if fed with too much voltage from the module?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The OP wanted Options .. They will work, But take longer to heat up and are Just a tad longer. I notice the Price has dropped 603008, Buy OEM.

kevinfeco

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
The OP wanted Options .. They will work, But take longer to heat up and are Just a tad longer. I notice the Price has dropped 6033008, Buy OEM.
I tested mine with a battery and a multi meter. The plug lights up using only 4-5 amps. plus it ohm's at about .2 ohms. I think the plug is OK. i'm now thinking maybe the module or a bad connector / wire. getting ready to run out and do some circuit testing.

kevinfeco

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
OK, I put the glow plug back in. the circuit to the number 2 cylinder checks out. I'm guessing it must be the controller. Will order one and replace and see if that fixes the problem. Will reply back with the results.

jrizzil

Jun 19, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks for the replies. I could never get a response from my local dealer to even look at this (I'm seeing a trend that they avoid these repairs as much as possible). I decided to take it to a local diesel shop to see what they thought. They suspect the bottom half of the outer sleeve is broken, hence my spinning in place problem. They quoted me about $2000-$2500 to pull the head and do the repair. I have been able to drive it around town okay for the time being, but this one has me pretty frustrated. My vehicle has 117,000 miles, so unfortunately, the expense will be out of pocket.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the replies. I could never get a response from my local dealer to even look at this (I'm seeing a trend that they avoid these repairs as much as possible). I decided to take it to a local diesel shop to see what they thought. They suspect the bottom half of the outer sleeve is broken, hence my spinning in place problem. They quoted me about $2000-$2500 to pull the head and do the repair. I have been able to drive it around town okay for the time being, but this one has me pretty frustrated. My vehicle has 117,000 miles, so unfortunately, the expense will be out of pocket.

They do make a tool to remove this issue. Not sure where your located but I had the same issue on mine. My #4 spun out when I was removing it. The design allows the inner glow plug to be removed allowing the sleeve and body to remain together. What the tool does is remove that inner plug and ceramic, and centers the drill bit so you can essentially use an easy out to back out the remainder of the old plug. Call another shop, there is a way without pulling the head. Dealer quoted me 8k to pull head and replace so I feel ya loll