• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does anyone know of the Z46 recall and when a fix is coming from Ram 2015 ecodiesel ?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
For those of you dealing with HPFP issues and wanting more info on the recall, here is some info based on what I've been dealing with for the past several months. Contrary to some of the comments in this thread, more and more of HPFP failure cases are mounting and there is NO permanent fix. A class action lawsuit has been filed (Fielding v. FCA US LLC., 2:23-cv-10691), however it has not been settled or certified to formally proceed as a class action at this time (these things can drag on for years, and usually end in settlement). Here is a good article covering the status of that lawsuit:

That said, what can we do? I was advised to first file a claim with NHTSA. You can (and should) do that here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

The more cases get reported to NHTSA, the more likely action will be taken. NHTSA absolutely knows about this issue, but they can only go off the data that is reported, so if you're dealing with this issue, please file a complaint!

Here is a reduced outline of my situation:
- My 2015 RAM 1500 with 88k miles breaks down at 70 mph back in August. Get it towed to dealership.
- Two weeks later, dealership claims the issue was "fuel contamination" b/c of a dirty fuel filter with debris and "rust" in housing and quote me $21k to repair.
- I requested additional info, including a fuel test, but they refused and placed a "restriction" on my vehicle.
- I filed a claim with FCA/Stalantis. Went through 4 claims "managers" and got nowhere, apparently b/c of the "restriction."
- I then filed an insurance claim. They did an independent investigation, including collecting a fuel sample from the truck, interviewing the dealership, running vehicle history, and investigating last fuel station I filled up at. They ultimately determined it was NOT fuel contamination and pointed at the HPFP recall.
- I've consulted legal advice (in progress) and filed a complaint with NHTSA.
- At this point I'm in limbo and trying to decide on my next course of action.

If you're going through this, I feel your pain! Stay persistent and exhaust all options you can. EcoDiesel owners have been through too much (I believe I'm on my 18th recall) over the years for this not to be rectified.

Good luck!
Nice review and update, the the attachments are appreciated.

I've been wondering about the Class Action. The "Review" tells us yes there is one, has a lot of good info and some errors. Most interesting was their statement, "On May 25, 2023, the court ordered the Plaintiffs to file an amended complaint in response to the Defendants’ motion to dismiss the class action lawsuit. No pretrial deadlines or trial dates have been set, nor has the court approved the case to proceed as a class action." Maybe a ..92% failure rate and/or the recall puts the class action in jeopardy.

You have certainly been through the wringer so to speak and hope you get a decent resolution.

Last edited:

JLongwood

Sep 7, 2023
Truck Year
Nice review and update, the the attachments are appreciated.

I've been wondering about the Class Action. The "Review" tells us yes there is one, has a lot of good info and some errors. Most interesting was their statement, "On May 25, 2023, the court ordered the Plaintiffs to file an amended complaint in response to the Defendants’ motion to dismiss the class action lawsuit. No pretrial deadlines or trial dates have been set, nor has the court approved the case to proceed as a class action." Maybe a ..92% failure rate and/or the recall puts the class action in jeopardy.

You have certainly been through the wringer so to speak and hope you get a decent resolution.
Yeah, I'm sure attorneys on both sides are in a chess match. A recall only works if there is a workable solution, otherwise the option is a voluntary buyback or end up in a legal dispute, as in this case. I don't see how Stalantis gets away without some form of reparations to the people this has impacted. I think this ultimately settles, but definitely not banking on that anytime soon.

Stephen33

Oct 6, 2022
Truck Year
I think you lucked out with your local dealer. He probably installed another CP4 pump, that are readily available. I still don't think Stellantis has developed a whole new pump.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
I think you lucked out with your local dealer. He probably installed another CP4 pump, that are readily available. I still don't think Stellantis has developed a whole new pump.
you are correct. I just got my truck back this week after the dealer replaced the CP4. They stated its a new old style CP4 and will not satisfy the recall. I will need to have it replaced when parts ever do become available.

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
you are correct. I just got my truck back this week after the dealer replaced the CP4. They stated its a new old style CP4 and will not satisfy the recall. I will need to have it replaced when parts ever do become available.
Did they charge you to put the CP4 in? I'm curious because mines been in the shop for three weeks and they have not given me any options or updates.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
Did they charge you to put the CP4 in? I'm curious because mines been in the shop for three weeks and they have not given me any options or updates.
No, I was not charged. My truck still ran fine. However, I found a bunch of aluminum shavings in the fuel filter housing. The dealer verified what I found and got approval to change the pump. It did take some time for it to show up after being ordered. Probably 3-4 weeks. Then two days for repair. See the attached bulletin from July 23'. If your truck is down due to a CP4 failure they should be replacing it at no charge and providing you a rental. If you open a case with Ram they will reimburse you for the rental if your dealer does not handle it as mine did.

Attachments

• recall info.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 15

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
No, I was not charged. My truck still ran fine. However, I found a bunch of aluminum shavings in the fuel filter housing. The dealer verified what I found and got approval to change the pump. It did take some time for it to show up after being ordered. Probably 3-4 weeks. Then two days for repair. See the attached bulletin from July 23'. If your truck is down due to a CP4 failure they should be replacing it at no charge and providing you a rental. If you open a case with Ram they will reimburse you for the rental if your dealer does not handle it as mine did.
Thanks. I have been in contact with Ram and they keep telling me my case has been escalated but the dealership doesn't have any rentals available of course. They have already verified that the HPFP is what has failed. Kind of ticked off the service advisor has been playing stupid and they have this information available to them. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks. I have been in contact with Ram and they keep telling me my case has been escalated but the dealership doesn't have any rentals available of course. They have already verified that the HPFP is what has failed. I'm going to give the service department a call when they open up this morning and see about just putting a new CP4 on to at least get it on the road again for he holidays. Thanks again for the info.
No Problem. if yours is inoperable I believe the procedure calls for injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines to and from the tank (at least this is the procedure for the eco diesels in the Jeeps that do have a recall fix and parts that have been released). may take even longer to get all those parts. Best I can guess with mine is the pump starting coming apart on the low pressure/return side and dumped shavings back in the tank. Any little bit metal of contamination on the high side will plug these injectors up ruining them with the PSI they run. Is that what happened to you?

Here is the procedure to satisfy the recall for the ecos in the jeeps. Its gotta be similar to what our trucks will need.

Last edited:

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
No Problem. if yours is inoperable I believe the procedure calls for injectors, fuel rail, fuel lines to and from the tank (at least this is the procedure for the eco diesels in the Jeeps that do have a recall fix and parts that have been released). may take even longer to get all those parts. Best I can guess with mine is the pump starting coming apart on the low pressure/return side and dumped shavings back in the tank. Any little bit metal of contamination on the high side will plug these injectors up ruining them with the PSI they run. Is that what happened to you?

Here is the procedure to satisfy the recall for the ecos in the jeeps. Its gotta be similar to what our trucks will need.
Mine is a complete failure already. Guess I am at the mercy of the chain of the BS customer service e-mails and calls. Thanks again .

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Mine is a complete failure already. Guess I am at the mercy of the chain of the BS customer service e-mails and calls. Thanks again .
Take a copy of this to the dealer.

Attachments

• 011c-CP4 Failure - Repl.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 19

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
So I got a little info on everything yesterday afternoon. Apparently it is kind of a drawn out process. Service department tells Mopar that the fuel pump has failed then Mopar has to approve their findings to ship them a new fuel pump and all the gear that goes with it. There is still no telling when the recall parts will be available, but, they have ordered my replacement so hopefully soon I will be back on the road. Service department did their job on following procedures they just did not communicate that with me. Thanks again for the documents.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
So I got a little info on everything yesterday afternoon. Apparently it is kind of a drawn out process. Service department tells Mopar that the fuel pump has failed then Mopar has to approve their findings to ship them a new fuel pump and all the gear that goes with it. There is still no telling when the recall parts will be available, but, they have ordered my replacement so hopefully soon I will be back on the road. Service department did their job on following procedures they just did not communicate that with me. Thanks again for the documents.
Glad they got parts ordered for you. This was the exact process I had to go through, so they defiantly weren't jerking you around. It says right in my receipt verify concern, must receive approval from regional stenatis manager before parts will be ordered. Did they order you new injectors, lines, etc with your level of contamination?

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
Glad they got parts ordered for you. This was the exact process I had to go through, so they defiantly weren't jerking you around. It says right in my receipt verify concern, must receive approval from regional stenatis manager before parts will be ordered. Did they order you new injectors, lines, etc with your level of contamination?
I was told that they are replacing everything and then when the recall parts are available I'm guessing they will have to do it all again.

Franco711

Dec 18, 2023
Truck Year
Welcome to the forum
You should research before you rant.

This pump has not been a problem for the Ecodiesl. It started with the pump being a problem on the Cummins engines. NHTSA caused that recall. Then, because the Eco was using the same pump, even though it has a very low failure rate, a recall was issued for the ECO. The Cummins replacement was easy as they had a reliable CP3 pump available, just needed to be adapted/modified. There is no other pump available for the Eco.

Ram is legitimately still selling/using the CP4 pump for the Eco because there is no other option. If your existing Eco pump fails they can only replace it with another CP4 pump.

Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties. Including but not sure what you mean by, "incidental damage caused by a recall issue".

Most of us are very happy that our CP4s will also be replaced as it was a unexpected, a surprise, and the wait for the right product is totally acceptable
I read my recall and this is not clear in the documents provided. I checked the recall status of my truck and this is still an open recall ... so ECOdiesels are still included. The ECODIESEL is a turd and I don't why you would defend this complete abomination of engineering. From bearing failures due to the inability to effective align the crankshaft cradle points, to HPFPs that predictably would fail due to differences in fuel blends, to am EGR system and intake that cannot be effectively cleaned, to God knows what else. It is a TURD.
Welcome to the forum
You should research before you rant.

This pump has not been a problem for the Ecodiesl. It started with the pump being a problem on the Cummins engines. NHTSA caused that recall. Then, because the Eco was using the same pump, even though it has a very low failure rate, a recall was issued for the ECO. The Cummins replacement was easy as they had a reliable CP3 pump available, just needed to be adapted/modified. There is no other pump available for the Eco.

Ram is legitimately still selling/using the CP4 pump for the Eco because there is no other option. If your existing Eco pump fails they can only replace it with another CP4 pump.

Ram's responsibility is to honor its warranties. Including but not sure what you mean by, "incidental damage caused by a recall issue".

Most of us are very happy that our CP4s will also be replaced as it was a unexpected, a surprise, and the wait for the right product is totally acceptable

Attachments

• RCMN-22V406-0327.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 12

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The ECODIESEL is a turd and I don't why you would defend this complete abomination of engineering.
I wasn't defending anything. You asked some questions, just thought you'd like some answers.

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
I was told that they are replacing everything and then when the recall parts are available I'm guessing they will have to do it all again.
Got a call today and said they replaced the HPFP and cranked it up. It ran for a little bit and then quit. Now they are saying that the lift pump is bad and it will cost about 1000 to replace it. This is nuts.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
Got a call today and said they replaced the HPFP and cranked it up. It ran for a little bit and then quit. Now they are saying that the lift pump is bad and it will cost about 1000 to replace it. This is nuts.
I would suspect that your injectors are plugged. My neighbors 20' Cummins just had the cp4 grenade. All kinds of aluminum. plugged the injectors up. Did they pull a fuel line and run the lift pump? its easy to verify if the lift pump is bad. Or pull the fuel filter housing and turn key on. Fuel should run right out. I doubt that's what the issue is. Reference the procedure I attached a few threads back to the dealer for the Jeep eco's. it states right in there if there is fuel contamination the entire fuel system is to be replaced/tank cleaned. The dealer simply replacing the CP4 will do nothing with your contamination level. I wouldn't pay them a cent until that procedure has been followed.

Matches4

Nov 29, 2023
Truck Year
I would suspect that your injectors are plugged. My neighbors 20' Cummins just had the cp4 grenade. All kinds of aluminum. plugged the injectors up. Did they pull a fuel line and run the lift pump? its easy to verify if the lift pump is bad. Or pull the fuel filter housing and turn key on. Fuel should run right out. I doubt that's what the issue is. Reference the procedure I attached a few threads back to the dealer for the Jeep eco's. it states right in there if there is fuel contamination the entire fuel system is to be replaced/tank cleaned. The dealer simply replacing the CP4 will do nothing with your contamination level. I wouldn't pay them a cent until that procedure has been followed

They are trying to say that the lift pump failing is what caused the HPFP to also fail. I spoke to a couple of mechanics and they said that there should be no way that the lift pump and fuel tank would be contaminated. Are the eco's fuel systems different from other diesel systems that this could occur. I saw in one of your posts that you did find shavings in the fuel filter housing so there has to be a way. I'm not done fighting by far.