• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel cranks but no start

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 ram Laramie ecodiesel. I was driving down the road and accelerated and the truck almost stalled. I got home and the truck will not start no. I checked the oil dipstick and it read minimum. I have no lights that popped up. And I have had the truck about 3 months so I don’t know when the fuel filter was last changed either. I don’t know if being low on oil would cause it not to start without a light popping up.

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
Correction oil light is on at the bottom of screen. That would make it not crank

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group put some oil in it 5/40 and try again check it for codes it can b various problems fuel reluctor ring crank sensor like I said check the codes

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's Rotella T6 5W40 and BTW the oil light is always on before starting the engine. I don't think that's your problem.

I'm going to guess there's a good chance it's the crank position sensor/reluctor wheel. This is one of the few issues that 50% of the time doesn't trigger a CEL (check engine light)

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
It's Rotella T6 5W40 and BTW the oil light is always on before starting the engine. I don't think that's your problem.

I'm going to guess there's a good chance it's the crank position sensor/reluctor wheel. This is one of the few issues that 50% of the time doesn't trigger a CEL (check engine light)
That was my initial thought too..., not a good problem to have. Very big job to chance a little part...

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
Would that cause the truck to lose power when accelerating. Because i accelerated and then it down shifted and stayed at 3,000 rpm and wouldn’t go any higher. I had this problem with my 2011 mustang gt when I had it and it was due to low oil

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
And this truck has had an egr delete and def delete done to it too

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Does it still run or just have no power? If the reluctor wheel has gone, it won't run. That's inside the transmission connecting to the back of the engine and it senses rotation, but the wheels starts to shred along the outside and then the truck doesn't sense it's even turning...

if it has no power, have you cleaned the map sensor and egr diffuser? Fuel filter should be changed every 2 oil changes. If the map is plugged it could lose power. What are the exact symptoms?

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
I went to accelerate to go around somebody and it downshifted and then nose dived and stayed at about 3,000 rpm until I let off the pedal then it shifted up. I got home and checked the oil and it was reading minimum on the dipstick. I tried to start it about 10 minutes later and it was trying to start but didn’t turn over. I haven’t tried it since then I don’t want to break anything trying to start it until I change the oil. And it was almost time for an oil change to.

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
I bought it from a ford dealership and they changed the oil before I bought it and they probably didn’t have the correct amount in it.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
when is the last time the oil was changed? Who did the oil change?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
when is the last time the oil was changed? Who did the oil change?
did they use the correct type and quantity of oil... 10L exactly! Do it yourself, I wouldn't trust a ford mechanic working on a ram diesel...

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I know that’s what makes me think it’s the oil being low the ford mechanics did it before I bought it about 8,000 miles ago it time for an oil change. And I thought it was 10.5L of oil

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You never Checked the lube in 8000 Miles on a new purchase... WOW...Back to your No Start, as mentioned tone ring one possibility another is the in tank lift Fuel PUMP , ED owners run their tanks down to empty and all that hot fuel dumps on the Pump form Injectors and Pump returns. Now if that engine is NOT starting due to NO Lube Your Bank account is going to be taking unexpected withdrawals $$$$$

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
It’s been sitting for 7 hours and the dipstick is a little over the minimum line. I got all the stuff to do the oil change with I will notify tomorrow

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If that's the Case it still should start. Changing the oil is 1 in 1 million to change a no start, Check the Fuel filter, generally when dirty engines loose performance, it still should start, UNLESS the fuel was contaminated and damage to the HPCR System causing No start.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Check the big main connection under the dash drivers side, That big connector if NOT perfectly matted will cause NO start.

Shorty9311

Sep 7, 2019
Truck Year
I checked all around for a fuel filter and nobody has one until tomorrow so I’m not wanting to take it off when I don’t have one. And I doubt it was even changed before I bought the truck from a ford place