• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Engine Failure 16,500 miles

rkilpa

Sep 7, 2015
Truck Year
August 26th, leaving for Colorado from Fort Worth TX. We got about a mile from the house with engine running rough and knocking. the sound was troubling as we pulled away from the curb at home, but we were in such disbelief we pushed on. About a mile from the house we knew we were in trouble. I did a quick u turn hoping to get the trailer back to the storage space but the engine blew in the the early morning traffic.

Today the truck is at Autonation Ram/Jeep and they have ordered an new engine. As of now they don't know when the new one will be in.

more to come...

Last edited:

rkilpa

Sep 7, 2015
Truck Year
Sorry to hear that. Does the dealer have any ideas on why the engine failed?
I haven't found out yet what caused the failure. I'm going to contact them again this week to find out something.

rkilpa

Sep 7, 2015
Truck Year
A little more info...

My truck is a 2015 ecodiesel with 3:55 rear gear. I had just had my 2nd oil change just oover16,300 miles. I did the oil change a little early because I was leaving for Colorado and didn't want to go over on miles. I pull a 2650RK Grand Design Imagine, 29' long with 7700 gross weight, I am never that heavy, normally 7200-7300 loaded. I love this truck and am really not sure what I want to do when I get it back.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
How many of those miles would you say you were pulling that trailer? Just curious

JackB

Sep 17, 2016
First, I have no first hand experience however, I have been doing a great deal of research as I am waiting to take delivery of my ED. I expect to run a great deal of miles and would like to know and prevent any and all issues that I can...

There is additional videos online that a gentlemen named Shawn posted (Mopar ecodiesel). It is my understanding that he towed approximately 7k lbs nearly daily. He experienced failure of the timing cam. It is a bolt design that allows the cams to slightly shift under stress. Shawn had a mechanic put dowels to eliminate any future problem. D and J diesel out of Salt Lake, City. I called and spoke to them briefly. Interesting they reported a gentlemen from Montana drove his new truck to them with less than 500 miles on the truck they found the time to be off. After the preventative "procedure" the customer drove home and reported better fuel economy.

Know obviously this may not be your issue. But I am discussing this with my mechanic to see if he can do something similar as I am not near SLC. To add I am curious what they found out. Good luck with your truck.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Wow, that is terrible about your engine. I have the same model/year/gear, so am very interested in any info you can provide about the failure.

Gerald

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I'm sitting at 111000 currently....

Sure hope I dont end up with a blow engine anytime soon....

Mike e

Jun 9, 2016
Truck Year
Mine is 2014 and engine blew at 34,000 miles. They said oil pump went out. Ram great on war tenth. Got new engine and covered all expenses

Ashley

Apr 3, 2016
Truck Year
My 14 lost the engine at 16,012 miles. It had a barely noticeable engine noise when I bought it, it was ever so slightly louder running than the 15s. It had 9k when I purchased it from our small town dealer. My fiancé has a mechanic shop, CarQuest store, and- thankfully- a towing and recovery business but could find nothing wrong with it and it was getting great fuel mileage so I kept it anyway. I drive 18 miles to work up and down over a mountain everyday and I ran it a bit harder that morning up the steep grade because of an emergency with one of the horses. Ran fine though, got in it to leave and it was fine. All of a sudden it started to hammer and lost oil pressure. Sadly it was a Canadian truck so no warrantee here in the states but the dealer is a stand up guy and paid for a new long block so it didn't cost me anything. Truck still runs great now. I don't think we ever did hear exactly what went wrong with it, only that there was a factory issue with several motors. We currently have two 2015's that so far have not had any issues :/

DennisJ

Sep 7, 2016
My EcoDiesel is in the shop. 2014 Larime, long bed, 4x4, tow package with 3.92 RA and about 111,000 miles. It spun about 3 connecting rod bearings. It has been parked a week waiting for the extended warranty guy to come and inspect. I took it in to have the turbo replaced because it was putting oil into my intake. Between the time I arranged this, and got it in, I started looking oil pressure at idle. Day before I had a plugged DPF that I just finished fixing myself, plus got ECM tweaked. It failed on test drive after I did fixed the DPF.

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Have a 2015 that blew at 18,000. What was said to me was lower engine bearings blew. Chrysler put a brand new motor and covered everything. I have seen about 20+ failures like this since March. Let's hope they have this problem solved. Took about 3 weeks to get fixed as they had to order seals from Italy. Good luck with yours.

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Wow, I wonder if all the engine failures could be linked to the soot problem from the EGR. I changed mine at 6k (5 k total on the oil) and it was like mud. I've since switched to GDE Tune which disconnects the EGR and also to Rotella as per the advisement from FCA. The Rotella will handle much more soot than the Pennzoil.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Dennisj pictures please......... it would be really helpful, your the 1st 100K failure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You get Code P245B, it lights the CEL, but has NO effect on operating the vehicle, you can unplug the actuator but the coolant chamber has a bypass, but it does restrict the flow, MY ED been like this for 14 months I get the P245B occasionally ,I just clear it with My IQ.

kwells1254

Jun 1, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for the info. Will you get this code if you leave everything plugged in and just block the tube to the intake? What is the IQ?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Don't mess with the tube, if you block anything do it at the up pipe before the actuator. theirs a sensor themocoupler in the EGR coolant chamber to measure the temp, so if you block it completely the code will always set, IQ Banks IQ.