• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel Failures/EPA 3.0 FCA Emails Granted Public Access

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here's Why ED 3.0 at 12K Miles 50/50 City-Hwy, 6.7 Cummins at 25K Miles. 50/50 City-Hwy

Attachments

• ED map sen.jpg
    ED map sen.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 6.7 map1.jpg
    6.7 map1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 56

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Why bother, if you drive it at highway speeds, not stop and go al the time it should be fine with nothing else to do
I agree that driving at highway speeds will help mainly because the diesel is at full operating temps and therefore will burn cleaner. However, this does not mean that the exhaust gas being recirculated will not still clog up plenum, EGR & map sensor......it just means it may take longer to get there.

I am in complete agreement with TC Diesel and I hope with his expertise I can learn to do this......

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You can.. and Call Me if you want.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
You can.. and Call Me if you want.

TC Diesel,

I will certainly take you up on your offer to call you so I can arrive at a complete understanding of the step-by-step procedure to do this. I want to first study the pics and dig a little deeper on the instructions you have provided. I want to go under the hood and study the different emission components you have address so I can at least have and understanding on what is involved to do the foam clean. Once I get to this point I will take you up and call you and review what I understand then you can see if I am not getting it alright. This way I won't waste your valuable time too much.

Thanks to you I will be doing Oil Analysis.....my Ram 1500 is at 2,450 miles. At 3,000 I will change the oil & fuel filter. At this point I will save a sample of my oil and send it off. I will need to dig in and see if there is a special container that one must use and the amount that will be required.......I am still fuzzy on those aspects.

Also, I know many folks have a dim view of the ecodiesel. Many have experienced significant problems. I bought this truck knowing that and I think it is great and with the help of others on this forum I hope to do the things that will avoid as many issues as possible......in the end, I am prepared to take on any issues that come forward.

Finally, Whatever re-flash FCA did to get it pass EPA it did not affect fuel economy. I get 22 to 23 mpg mix driving around town & freeway. When I am strictly on freeway it will hover around 29 mpg. I think it is important for folks to know this. I also have the 3.92 rear end.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 3.0 with just some maintenance will last. Have Blackstone send you the free oil Kits.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL-170806.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 41

John

Nov 13, 2015
TC Diesel,

I will certainly take you up on your offer to call you so I can arrive at a complete understanding of the step-by-step procedure to do this. I want to first study the pics and dig a little deeper on the instructions you have provided. I want to go under the hood and study the different emission components you have address so I can at least have and understanding on what is involved to do the foam clean. Once I get to this point I will take you up and call you and review what I understand then you can see if I am not getting it alright. This way I won't waste your valuable time too much.

Thanks to you I will be doing Oil Analysis.....my Ram 1500 is at 2,450 miles. At 3,000 I will change the oil & fuel filter. At this point I will save a sample of my oil and send it off. I will need to dig in and see if there is a special container that one must use and the amount that will be required.......I am still fuzzy on those aspects.

Also, I know many folks have a dim view of the ecodiesel. Many have experienced significant problems. I bought this truck knowing that and I think it is great and with the help of others on this forum I hope to do the things that will avoid as many issues as possible......in the end, I am prepared to take on any issues that come forward.

Finally, Whatever re-flash FCA did to get it pass EPA it did not affect fuel economy. I get 22 to 23 mpg mix driving around town & freeway. When I am strictly on freeway it will hover around 29 mpg. I think it is important for folks to know this. I also have the 3.92 rear end.

There's a flip side to most all advice and you should always do what you're most comfortable with. Take the time to research all available options prior to making a decision.

Another option is to consider the proactive approach. You can turn off the EGR and eliminate the soot sorta like an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This way your engine is not ingesting all of the soot mixed with the foaming operation. This mess is not only leaving your intake but some of it is getting past the rings into the crankcase, into thee DPF, and possibly some of the vapor will make it to the SCR. Of course changing the oil and regenerating the DPF will help somewhat, but at a cost.

On the OA maybe consider waiting for some more miles so you will have a comparison to universal averages when analyzed. I think Blackstone's universal averages are currently based on something like 8,700 miles. It's difficult to compare your 3,000 mile interval to these universal averages.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
There's a flip side to most all advice and you should always do what you're most comfortable with. Take the time to research all available options prior to making a decision.

Another option is to consider the proactive approach. You can turn off the EGR and eliminate the soot sorta like an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This way your engine is not ingesting all of the soot mixed with the foaming operation. This mess is not only leaving your intake but some of it is getting past the rings into the crankcase, into thee DPF, and possibly some of the vapor will make it to the SCR. Of course changing the oil and regenerating the DPF will help somewhat, but at a cost.

On the OA maybe consider waiting for some more miles so you will have a comparison to universal averages when analyzed. I think Blackstone's universal averages are currently based on something like 8,700 miles. It's difficult to compare your 3,000 mile interval to these universal averages.

How do I turn off EGR? Won't this throw CEL's?

John

Nov 13, 2015
How do I turn off EGR? Won't this throw CEL's?

GDE's tune will shut down the EGR and eliminate any CEL's. There are other tuner options too. Most seem to consider GDE the best in the business.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
GDE's tune will shut down the EGR and eliminate any CEL's. There are other tuner options too. Most seem to consider GDE the best in the business.

The GDE tune is very tempting......I am not sure if I would later run into some issue that would then cause me to lose my warranty because I had a tune. I wish I knew for sure that would not happen.

John

Nov 13, 2015
The GDE tune is very tempting......I am not sure if I would later run into some issue that would then cause me to lose my warranty because I had a tune. I wish I knew for sure that would not happen.

It's a difficult decision indeed. I've looked everywhere online and can't find one instance of anyone having a warranty issue with the GDE tune. They are good people and I'm sure a phone call to GDE with your concerns would help you with making an informed decision. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I just changed my oil at 7500 miles, this is the first oil change, I sent off a sample to Blackstone, I do oil samples every oil change on my Diesel motorhome, I am doing the Ecodiesel just to make sure I dont have coolant in the oil, or bearing material, it's a low cost expense. Being in California adding a GDE won't work they don't sell them here, but after thinking about this, EGR is on every modern Diesel, I think I can deal with that but the PVC crankcase vents appear to add some oil to the intake system, that mixed with the exhaust makes a mess, so I have added a catch can to the PVC hose, so far I have a little exhaust fuzz in the EGR and intake but no oil, so time will tell

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I just changed my oil at 7500 miles, this is the first oil change, I sent off a sample to Blackstone, I do oil samples every oil change on my Diesel motorhome, I am doing the Ecodiesel just to make sure I dont have coolant in the oil, or bearing material, it's a low cost expense. Being in California adding a GDE won't work they don't sell them here, but after thinking about this, EGR is on every modern Diesel, I think I can deal with that but the PVC crankcase vents appear to add some oil to the intake system, that mixed with the exhaust makes a mess, so I have added a catch can to the PVC hose, so far I have a little exhaust fuzz in the EGR and intake but no oil, so time will tell

Where did you purchase your catch can? Can you explain how you installed it?

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
CFT Performance.com The part # is SKU-DF514B56, They come plane unfinished, mine is mat black power coat, looks factory installed I installed it per there instructions, I will also say I have no connection with this company, the part is made very well, took me 15 minutes to install, and works as stated so far

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
CFT Performance.com The part # is SKU-DF514B56, They come plane unfinished, mine is mat black power coat, looks factory installed I installed it per there instructions, I will also say I have no connection with this company, the part is made very well, took me 15 minutes to install, and works as stated so far

Thanks for the information......I will order one!

Also, do you have the GDE tune?

Ofishl1

Oct 10, 2015
Truck Year
TC Diesel,

I am curious at the MPG, is that a "4x4" Ecod with a 3.92?

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I am curious at the MPG, is that a "4x4" Ecod with a 3.92?
Yes, it is a 2017 4x4 Laramie Ecodiesel with 3.92. I drove from Atlanta to Michigan this past Thursday/Friday. The attached pic shows my fuel economy at plus 600 miles. What is more amazing is that when leaving Atlanta I was in rush hour traffic ......stop and go traffic for 1 hour 40 minutes. I was hoping to get 29 mpg. I am very surprise to get 32 mpg.

I do not have a tune. It is stock and when I left Atlanta I had 3,300 miles. Did a oil and filter change before leaving.

a73a76734968a717cb80c8d3405d2679.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk