• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel Fires

ms14796

Apr 28, 2019
Truck Year
GM is supposed to start selling their new 1500 Duramax 3.0 straight 6. Supposedly its producing 280 horses and 477 flb torque with 30mpg hwy. As soon as i can afford it...bye bye Dodge!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
FCA Rep claims 5th Gen Ram Diesel 3.0 problems are solved.. he would not disclosed to me New engine or complete re-do 3.0.

I'm still liking GM1500 D-Max just for the support, GM is keeping the lid on the fuel system Bosch or Denso.

3.0L-LM2-Duramax-Diesel-With-Info-1024x452.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 2.8 current design will NOT compete against the D-Max

Twick

Sep 8, 2019
Truck Year
Got my 2015 EcoDiesel back from dealership after fire. 59000 MI. I now have a used motor in my new truck. And my insurance company has a $17,000 claim . FCA says that I should understand that fires happens. I have 40 Years of owning a auto repair business. I also have the original EcoDiesel engine that came out of my new truck. I would like to join with other EcoDiesel owners who have had engine fires. Maybe for another class action suit over and above the emission class action suit. My email address is [email protected] I spent $51,000 for a truck that I thought would last 150000 miles or more. Now FCA wants me to pay $20,000 for another truck that will probably have no better warranty then my EcoDiesel.
Today, September 8, I was driving on the highway when the truck lost power, running but no acceleration. I limped to a stop on shoulder and noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. In a few minutes black smoke, then flames. By the time the fire department arrived the front end and front seat were engulfed in flames.

52,000 miles only recent service was the emissions changes associated with the class action claim

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Way to common I see another lawsuit, Its only time before these fires cause injury or death..

PDs its 2015 with how many miles?

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
There is a recall on the ECO DIESELS for EGR cooler failures causing fires, no fix as yet. Bulletproof diesel has a heavy duty EGR cooler for under 900 bucks. They've been around for a while and were born out of need when the 6 liter Powerstrokes/ Internationals came out and were plagued with it, nearly every diesel with an EGR cooler may be susceptible. if you haven't received your recall notice yet it should be coming soon.

Ramuser

Jan 30, 2020
Truck Year
Well on tge way home today my truck 16 1500 ecodiesel dropped oil pressure. (Light came on) derated and started burning. Luckly I had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out The fire I could see was under the fuel pump.and near the turbo by the firewall.
So after getting towed and the dealer initial assessment.
Looks like maybe at least two months. Service writers words They have one truck waiting for a engine. It just happened so will find out more tomorrow.
My insurance pays for rental car for a 1000.00 reimbursement. What ever that covers.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Picture Please...…...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I know of 2 NON-EGR trucks that have burned, according to the Owners both started rear driver side.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I know of 2 NON-EGR trucks that have burned, according to the Owners both started rear driver side.
Did they diagnose what caused it? Drivers side iirc the only thing that stood out when I popped my hood was the oil filter

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They could only Guess one was a fuel leak, the other Turbo or Plenum, Both burned to the point of melting the tires.

Brianwheeler64

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
I am a fire investigator, usually retained by insurance companies. I investigate all different types of fires and have recently started an investigation of a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel that caught fire while it was being driven. I would love to get additional information from anyone who has suffered a fire of their vehicle.
Mine did not catch fire because I shut it off in time after me EGR Cooler imploded.
09/00/2018: Purchased Truck
10/00/2018: Installed OPT7 LED Light bar via Plug wires on bumper
11/00/2018: Rear Camera went out, Electronic door locks out, Tow Model Out
11/00/2018: Replaced Tow Model. WARRANTY NOT COVERED because I installed after market lightbar. (B.S.!!!)
11/00/2018: Paid $300.00 to have light bar uninstalled and restored to Factory setting. (All they did was unclip 4 wires. Did not even remove light bar from vehicle)
12/13/2018: Check Engine Light: PCM Error Message" Not Enough Fuel", Software update. FLORIDA
10/05/2019: Throttle Control Sensor Error Message: Software Update. FLORIDA
10/26/2019: Notice Temp reaching 235, Normal 199-203: No Warning messages
10/28/2019: Replaced 1 gallon of Anti-Freeze, contacted dealer and set up appointment for 11/02/2019.
10/28/2019: EGR RECALL issued by RAM
10/29/2019: Throttle Control Sensor Warning 2x, Then truck became engulfed in smoke, no power. DEF System Service Warning (only 49,000 miles on engine)
10/30/2019: Truck towed to dealer
11/26/2019: Received EGR Recall Notice in US Mail by RAM.
12/23/2019: Truck returned: $14,560.01 in parts replaced, and $2,177.05 in Labor cost. EGR Cooler Failure. Failure of EGR caused coolant to leak into exhaust system.
Contaminating Exhaust Convertors and all Exhaust sensors and DEF Injector. Exhaust found to have overheated melting transmission wiring harness.
High Temperature from EGR gasses in Intake Manifold melted Intake Manifold .Removed and replaced all damaged components on vehicle due to failure of EGR Cooler.
After completing repairs road tested vehicle to verify repair quality. No further Set DTC's noted during multiple road test. Returned vehicle to customer.
Dealership failed to mention that they had to keep the truck an extra week because they finally diagnosed the faulty Throttle Control Sensor and replaced same.
Don't trust truck anymore. I informed Case Manager Amy that I no longer trusted the truck to perform reliably.
01/31/2020: Truck began making a strange sound. No engine error light or warning massages. I contacted the dealership to inform them of my issues. I video taped the truck
as I was driving it to show how the truck was performing. Crunching and clunking sound from under hood as I was driving home and then the engine died.
(Only 54,000 miles on engine) Coasted to shoulder of road and contacted insurance company to get a tow to the dealership. Truck engine will not even turn over.
I then contacted Chrysler Case Manager Amy to inform her of my dilemma and displeasure with her company's product. I reminded her that I paid extra for extended
warranties and GAP Insurance. I informed her that I would like for the company to stand behind their product and swapped my out for a new truck at no cost to me.
Amy stated that my truck was "Too Old, and had Too many Miles on it for a swap. Really? I have only had it back for 5 weeks and then "Boom" dead truck.