• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

BRIAN DYE

Jan 23, 2018
Truck Year
I GIVE UP! I purchase a new 2015 eco-diesel since then I have had nothing but problems. As soon as i purchased it i started having a problem with it stalling and giving me a message saying "service throttle control sensor" I have gone back and forth with this problem with the ram dealer I purchased it from. I've been told every excuse possible such as I am riding with my foot on the brake to bad fuel.
Finally one day the my truck stalled again on a wet road and while trying to exit the highway (because the truck had no power) i went into a spin that caused me to hit a retainer wall a 60 miles an hour. I fixed that at a cost of 10 thousand dollars. After going back a forth with the dealer and many unnecessary repairs and months and months of not having my truck. New fuel lines, injectors and totally new fuel system (which cost me $9500 out of pocket), and new computer, and finally a new motor, i am still getting stalls. I have never had such a piece of junk and I have never been treated so badly by a dealer. Any suggestions?

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
I GIVE UP! I purchase a new 2015 eco-diesel since then I have had nothing but problems. As soon as i purchased it i started having a problem with it stalling and giving me a message saying "service throttle control sensor" I have gone back and forth with this problem with the ram dealer I purchased it from. I've been told every excuse possible such as I am riding with my foot on the brake to bad fuel.
Finally one day the my truck stalled again on a wet road and while trying to exit the highway (because the truck had no power) i went into a spin that caused me to hit a retainer wall a 60 miles an hour. I fixed that at a cost of 10 thousand dollars. After going back a forth with the dealer and many unnecessary repairs and months and months of not having my truck. New fuel lines, injectors and totally new fuel system (which cost me $9500 out of pocket), and new computer, and finally a new motor, i am still getting stalls. I have never had such a piece of junk and I have never been treated so badly by a dealer. Any suggestions?
If you are paying all this out of pocket, why not get it tuned? Do you not have a warranty? The tune will stop the service throttle control light issues

BRIAN DYE

Jan 23, 2018
Truck Year
If you are paying all this out of pocket, why not get it tuned? Do you not have a warranty? The tune will stop the service throttle control light issues

lMAO t's had more than a 'tune up" fuel injectors, all fuel lines replaced, new computer, new wiring harness, new motor etc...!!! all of which was covered by warranty. The warranty didn't cover the fuel system replacement because they said it had bad diesel fuel in the fuel system to which wasn't the problem (cost $9800 and did not fix a damn thing) ($10,000 was when it stalled and I couldn't get it off of the highway before getting into a wreck due in part because I had no power to steer the truck)

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
lMAO t's had more than a 'tune up" fuel injectors, all fuel lines replaced, new computer, new wiring harness, new motor etc...!!! all of which was covered by warranty. The warranty didn't cover the fuel system replacement because they said it had bad diesel fuel in the fuel system to which wasn't the problem (cost $9800 and did not fix a damn thing) ($10,000 was when it stalled and I couldn't get it off of the highway before getting into a wreck due in part because I had no power to steer the truck)
You misread what I said. I’m talking about an ECM tune. Like from Green diesel engineering or PPEI.

BRIAN DYE

Jan 23, 2018
Truck Year
oh, i see. Yes, i will look into it. I don't how much it will work seeing as it completely shuts down my truck but i will look into it.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
oh, i see. Yes, i will look into it. I don't how much it will work seeing as it completely shuts down my truck but i will look into it.
So I was having the same issue on a brand new truck, with less than 5000 miles on it and the dealer wanted to do the same list of “fixes”. Knowing that wasn’t what was causing it (ram has admitted it’s a programming issue in the ECM) but hasn’t released a flash to fix it yet... I got a GDE Tune for my ecm and haven’t had any turbo underboost code or service electronic throttle control light appear since. While it’s not for everyone, as it’s disputed whether the ecm flash voids warranty, is detected by the dealership, etc. it is an option that is on the table

Barillaro

Sep 23, 2018
Truck Year
I had eight trips to dealer shops from about 28,000 to 42,000 miles for ETC message. They replaced injectors, DEF injector, filters, forced regen, flashed it you name it they did it. Nothing helped. One day I found an article from Cummins recommending Power Service for all of their engines so I figures if it's good for cummins what could it hurt to use in my ED. Use 8 oz every fill up silver can in summer and white in winter. Results about 35,000 miles until ETC message dealer cleaned EGR and MAF. Now I will clean myself at every third oil change when fuel filter is replaced. Hopefully no more down time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
We'll I thought I had a hero build ,but it looks like it may need a new engine, Its been drinking coolant and mis-behaving Pulsating ,extreme EGTs 1300-1500 and lacks power, won't build Boost, ETC code and a few others, This time the dealership is performing the repairs, They will be replacing the EGR cooler, plenum, after the plenum is removed the valves will be checked for warping, (I'm sure they are) at that point the engine will be replace.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
After the intake was removed the Valves Check out good. Here's the repair, About $3,500.00 cover under warranty at 43K Miles

Attachments

• Ecodiesel EGR_Intake Repl 11 7 18.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone figure out the fix on the P00EB code?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Gde says it's the Turbo outlet temp sensor but I've replaced it with no luck. Get a good temp reading, can't figure out the other sensor it communicates with... so... places gun to head

sorabol

Oct 18, 2018
Truck Year
The ecodisel is pure junk. I had a 2014 and the SETC message started at 12k miles and happened every 10k miles. I tried changing my driving style by doing more highway miles, i stopped getting diesel at Sam's Club and got it at truck stops, and diesel additives. Nothing works. Every time I brought it in they would have to change injectors and they did the EGR a couple times and at 50k miles I traded it in for a Tundra. Also my backup camera went out 2 times before 50k miles. I shouldn't have to buy an $800 tune to make a $55k truck run right and that's no guarantee either.

Randy Theander

Jul 7, 2018
Truck Year
pull the top end off.....clean out the soot.......get bigger intake manifold tube that goes 3" round instead of oval. I did and haven't had that problem again in almost 20,000 miles

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is an electrical issue. It's a temperature sensor... I also didn't have any of these issues until I tuned the truck. Been a PITA since.

RamEcoDiesel

Feb 3, 2019
Truck Year
The reason i ask. So about 3 weeks ago 2 sensors went off. Service Electronic Throttle Control and DPF 100% full. Truck started to auto Regen but didn't finish it. I started taking things apart like the DPF and doing manual cleaning, filter from DEF tank which I never got to. Checked the throttle control valve which had oil in it. Then I go to move my EGR and what I see is melted plastic over the 8mm bolt that holds the EGR in. Right behind the bolt is a hole in some kind of plastic piece. I want to get the part name or number so I can go ask the dealer why they are making trucks and choosing money over quality. Also, my truck only has 42,000 miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190203-113247.jpg
    Screenshot_20190203-113247.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20190203-113229__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190203-113229__01.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 42

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I'm about to post my issues but i'm tuned and deleted and just had mine towed this weekend because of the service throttle control. ordered a tuner coming in tomorrow to see whats going on more in depth

CBSnook

Apr 6, 2021
Truck Year
I bought a 2016 laramie eco diesel with 90k on it about 50 days ago. The day after i drove it home the check engine light came on for the three way coolant valve. not a big deal ordered one and replaced it. Looking up what could be wrong with the truck before i pulled the code i saw how big of a deal the problems with this truck are. I then tuned and deleted the truck. Sunday I was driving and this truck with a tune and delete in the laramie is a dream boat when running right, I was running down the highway at about 28mpg and then there was a quick jolt, i looked behind me there was some black and white smoke and then the service electronic throttle control came on. I went to press the fuel again after letting off and it did nothing, I was going about 65mph, I got pulled over not sure if it was in limp mode or not, and it the no oil pressure light came on (im seeing this comes on all the time if other lights go on) and said to put truck into park and turn off. I followed its instructions and went out to look around if it had blown apart or what the deal was since there was some white smoke. Everything looked good. I got back in and thought well maybe something weird happened pulling the hill. Now it cranks and will not start and while cranking lets diesel smelling white smoke out of the exhaust.

Tall2Texan

Nov 16, 2021
Truck Year
Thought I would add in my experience (start of it anyways).

2017 RAM Laramie (EcoDiesel)
42,457 miles

Wife's daily driver, about 30-50 miles per day. She arrived home and we were going to jump in for a quick grocery trip.

As soon as I started truck it popped up the Service Engine Throttle Control. Couldn't get above 25 MPH. Cleared codes (only DTC was for low washer fluid).

AAA picked it up today. Still has Power Train warranty so hopefully covered. If not we have MaxCare from Car Max. Deductible should be $50. I am at a loss why they gave it such a specific warning code to not give it a specific definition. All the parts they have thrown at these in the forums is perplexing.

Waiting on call from Service department now.