• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
Had the code show up 4 times in the last week, 3 times in the last 24 hours. My truck has 5200 miles on it. Went to the dealer today and they said FCA has no definite fix for this, and they have a list of shit to replace to see if that’s the solution, etc. they said they’ve seen this code on multiple higher mileage trucks, some that are in need or a regen, etc. however since mine hasn’t even made it to the first oil change, and I drive 100mi round trip to work, that it’s unlikely I’m sooted up. Only modification I have is an AFE intake, but I’ve looked at the connections, everything is in order. Really hoping I’m not stuck wishing i hadn’t got this vehicle.

Shawn - I just dumped my 16 BigHorn EcoDiesel at a Kia Dealer (traded in for a Kia Sedona). I don't recommend my path, but had same error show up five times this year. Usually a regen (at dealer) will clear the error, or it's a filter clogged. My experience was: fuel; or exhaust; or air. I too have a 100mi round trip daily. Sold the big guy when FCA and Dealer wouldn't escalate the error and fix it. Something about "They didn't call back, so we closed the ticket" and "FCA didn't call us, so we regened and here is your truck". So at least a regen should give you a month/ month and a half/ of worry filled travels. Mine was 72,208 miles at trade-in.
My first experience with the code was at 32,000. I know I'm not helping, but have never heard of similar problems from HEMI's. Dumped the truck last week, after 2 years, 3 weeks.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Shawn - I just dumped my 16 BigHorn EcoDiesel at a Kia Dealer (traded in for a Kia Sedona). I don't recommend my path, but had same error show up five times this year. Usually a regen (at dealer) will clear the error, or it's a filter clogged. My experience was: fuel; or exhaust; or air. I too have a 100mi round trip daily. Sold the big guy when FCA and Dealer wouldn't escalate the error and fix it. Something about "They didn't call back, so we closed the ticket" and "FCA didn't call us, so we regened and here is your truck". So at least a regen should give you a month/ month and a half/ of worry filled travels. Mine was 72,208 miles at trade-in.
My first experience with the code was at 32,000. I know I'm not helping, but have never heard of similar problems from HEMI's. Dumped the truck last week, after 2 years, 3 weeks.
I was thinking today I might hop on the highway and try to force a regen and see if that helps any.
If I were to trade it in, cummins will be my next platform engine, however, if tune and deletes help this issue because allowing the engine to breathe better, that’ll be the route I go first as it’s the cheaper route

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
I called a dealer about getting a service appointment, he said the software update to remedy the problem is being held up by the government because of the emissions litigation... SMALL GOVERNMENT IS WHAT WE WANT! for F***’s sake!

DunLucky

Jul 18, 2018
Truck Year
Following........
Just dropped my 2017 ED with 6252 miles at the dealer with the ETC code in limp mode also. Code showing Turbo under boost, Service ETC and needs two software updates. After reading through this thread I hope its not a sign of things to come.

ACE1100EVO

Jul 19, 2018
Truck Year
ETC light and loss of power has happened four times in my truck. 11k, 23k, 31k, 40k, and 45k. The dealer is going to work with Chrysler rep to see if they would be willing to help me get into a semi, but not getting my hopes up. This is my first Ram and I love everything but this engine.

JBOWOOD

May 12, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2017 truck that is in the shop for the second time with this issue.
First was at 1900 miles, left me stranded. Towed in to dealer, left it for a week, the just flashed a couple updates, no repairs.
Second time, at 6,000 miles, left me stranded, towed in, they’ve had it a week, no updates.
Loaner provided, but not a truck, cancelled a camping trip because i cant tow my trailer.
Already regretting this purchase, takes all the fun out of buying a new vehicle.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Following........
Just dropped my 2017 ED with 6252 miles at the dealer with the ETC code in limp mode also. Code showing Turbo under boost, Service ETC and needs two software updates. After reading through this thread I hope its not a sign of things to come.

What is the manufacturer date of your 2017?

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2017 truck that is in the shop for the second time with this issue.
First was at 1900 miles, left me stranded. Towed in to dealer, left it for a week, the just flashed a couple updates, no repairs.
Second time, at 6,000 miles, left me stranded, towed in, they’ve had it a week, no updates.
Loaner provided, but not a truck, cancelled a camping trip because i cant tow my trailer.
Already regretting this purchase, takes all the fun out of buying a new vehicle.

What is the manufacturer date of you 2017?

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Because this can be a dangerous issue if one is on the freeway going into limp mode and having to try to work your way to the shoulder, I believe this problem should be reported to the Department of Highway Transportation as a safety issue. Could help force a recall.

JBOWOOD

May 12, 2018
Truck Year
What is the manufacturer date of your 2017?

It looks like July 26 2017. Any difference that would make?

Dealer had my truck two weeks...replaced a sensor that had soot on it, but no real explanation for what's going on with it. Sent all engine data to Chrysler engineers. Didn't acknowledge that this might be a common problem.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I was curious if the manufacturer date of your truck was pre to Gov't having FCA stop selling the Ecodiesel until they came up with a new tune for the truck. I believe FCA could not sell the Ecodiesel from Jan 2017 to July 29. Then the Gov't accepted the new tune at end of July and allowed FCA to start selling the Ecodiesel again. l was just wondering if the new tune took care of this problem and it was all associated with the older tune. I believe all Ecodiesel sitting on dealer lots were to be reflashed with new tune. The ECM is to have a sticker on it showing this was done.

Agapetus

Nov 16, 2017
Truck Year
2016 1500 ecodiesel limited . 5th time for the electric throttle control sensor in a year. Last fix, 3 months ago, was to replace the turbo and that took 3 weeks for the part to come in it has gotten to the point I am afraid to drive it on any sort of trips other than back and forth to work since it goes into limp mode. Sixty thousand and can't use it for trips.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Driving last week and the truck showed the service throttle control message and flashed a red bolt on the dash. It happened twice and would disappear after a minute or so. Is it safe?
This happened to me (for the second time in about a year since I've had my EcoDiesel) and basically went into limp mode. The dealership squeezed me in within a week (originally said it would be two weeks before they could get to it) as I couldn't get the code to clear nor could I get it to drive above about 60 mph. The write-up the tech entered on the repair document (covered under warranty) was 'boost pressure sensor plugged with soot. Cleaned out soot and performed regeneration.' But I've heard the Service Throttle Control Module error can be one of like 50 things. Now my question is, how do I keep 'soot' from building up? The truck only has 40,000 miles on it.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
So I’ve come up with my solution. I’m taking a day trip to Michigan for GDE to Tune my truck. I’m tired of the P0299 code and Chrysler has their head up their asses with the computer flash so idc anymore. I’m gonna get my service done at my friends garage who is a very reputable diesel mechanic in the area Iive so I don’t have to bother with the dealership. I’m excited to get it done, for multiple reasons of course!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So I’ve come up with my solution. I’m taking a day trip to Michigan for GDE to Tune my truck. I’m tired of the P0299 code and Chrysler has their head up their asses with the computer flash so idc anymore. I’m gonna get my service done at my friends garage who is a very reputable diesel mechanic in the area Iive so I don’t have to bother with the dealership. I’m excited to get it done, for multiple reasons of course!

Good to hear, give us some feedback and let us know what you think when you get it.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
It's been 9-10 months since the first time I saw this code - I was fairly certain that my repair back then was solid.....until a week and a half ago. Code popped up, drove it to dealership and I left for a 2 week work trip - told my dealership to take their time to ensure it's fixed properly. About 10 days later I get a call saying it's fixed, so I have my fiancé go and pick up the truck - she drives home 10-15 miles and it pops back up again. So she takes it back to the dealership yesterday morning and I get a call that night saying there is no fix for it and to pick up my broken truck, basically I'm SOL??? Guess I'll be upgrading to a 2500 sooner than I thought. I now have a solid answer for when people ask me "how do you like that truck?"

Oh, and it's been the same code every time - "boost pressure sensor plugged with soot"

JGC_Summit_ED

Oct 17, 2018
Truck Year
Hey Guys! New here to the forum. So I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit that has the EcoDiesel. I bought the truck in April of this year at 32,000 miles (from 1 owner that lives in Utah) and now has 48,000 miles on it (did a round trip from AZ to Ohio in August). I live in Phoenix, AZ myself. Well last night I get the ETC message along with the Exhaust Filter 100% (no previous warnings). I purchased this as a used car at a Toyota dealership and did get the full extended warranty through Toyota Care.

Took it to the Chrysler dealership this morning, got the loaner and went to work. Few hours later I get the call that they do have the error codes for the Exhaust Filter but the service writer "forgot to mention the ETC" on the work order... not a good sign so far. To add, "cleaning the exhaust filter/regen isn't covered by warranty." My thoughts are, well isn't it something defective if the system isn't maintaining itself as it should be? To add, DEF is always above the recommended "fill" line and Rotella T5 oil used.

I hope this doesn't turn into an expensive pissing match =/