• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I like the Ram platform best. It's comfortable, well appointed with Big Horn package, and a great value compared to others. I hadn't thought about a new Ecodiesel with extended warranty. The Colorado diesel is having the same emissions troubles as the Ecodiesel.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I like the Ram platform best. It's comfortable, well appointed with Big Horn package, and a great value compared to others. I hadn't thought about a new Ecodiesel with extended warranty. The Colorado diesel is having the same emissions troubles as the Ecodiesel.

A few DEF sensors, but not even close to as many problems as the EcoDiesels. My brother has one.. 10K miles so far trouble free. But, all modern diesels are going to have emissions problems unfortunately.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I’d really like to see the Colorado get the 8 spd transmission. The V6 has it and it’s a huge improvement
A few DEF sensors, but not even close to as many problems as the EcoDiesels. My brother has one.. 10K miles so far trouble free. But, all modern diesels are going to have emissions problems unfortunately.

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
So I have also had the service throttle control 4 times. First was @38,000ish, then @41,0000, then @44,000 (and somewhere inbetween. Dealer had the 2016 Big Horn for 2.5 weeks. First time, they replaced some parts and replaced the fuel filter; 1 injector; and 1 injector line.
The last time - a different dealer cleaned the Exhaust filter (free) and have had zero problems since. I currently do not use any additives, but will discuss with technician. My current solution is to reduce the oil change cycle to 9,0000 and change the fuel filter every other oil change. At the same time am adding a request to clean the exhaust filter for each visit.

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
I highly recommend the extended warranty - I would have saved had the warranty paid for my repairs.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
So I have also had the service throttle control 4 times. First was @38,000ish, then @41,0000, then @44,000 (and somewhere inbetween. Dealer had the 2016 Big Horn for 2.5 weeks. First time, they replaced some parts and replaced the fuel filter; 1 injector; and 1 injector line.
The last time - a different dealer cleaned the Exhaust filter (free) and have had zero problems since. I currently do not use any additives, but will discuss with technician. My current solution is to reduce the oil change cycle to 9,0000 and change the fuel filter every other oil change. At the same time am adding a request to clean the exhaust filter for each visit.
I've been changing my oil at 8,000 miles and fuel filter at 15,000 since new. I use Lucas fuel treatment on every other tank full of fuel.

EcoDEric

Nov 19, 2016
Truck Year
Have you had the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message? If not, I think I might adopt your schedule. What does the Lucas fuel treatment do for the fuel? I put 100 miles on daily, in mostly highway/tollway traffic.
So my questions are: Have you had the EGR error messages?
How many miles on your truck? Mine is 48650.
Have you ever had the exhaust filter cleaned?

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I have 63,000 miles. Just went through the ETC message which uncovered an EGR cooler leak. Lost about 1 1/2 liters of coolant in the last week. None was visible leak. The EGR valve then stuck open. They were able to soak the EGR valve and break up the build up and it now works.
The EGR cooler leak is an internal issue not caused by usual exhaust DPF emissions issues. The Clogged EGR valve is related to the emissions. I’ve never had the exhaust filter cleaned.
The lucus fuel treatment may be more helpful with keeping fuel injectors from clogging. May not have much benefit with exhaust related issues. I’ve read a few people are using Hot Shot Diesel Extreme every six months to clean the fuel system.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I have 63,000 miles. Just went through the ETC message which uncovered an EGR cooler leak. Lost about 1 1/2 liters of coolant in the last week. None was visible leak. The EGR valve then stuck open. They were able to soak the EGR valve and break up the build up and it now works.
The EGR cooler leak is an internal issue not caused by usual exhaust DPF emissions issues. The Clogged EGR valve is related to the emissions. I’ve never had the exhaust filter cleaned.
The lucus fuel treatment may be more helpful with keeping fuel injectors from clogging. May not have much benefit with exhaust related issues. I’ve read a few people are using Hot Shot Diesel Extreme every six months to clean the fuel system.
Ultimate, I think the only way to avoid these exhaust EGR and regen issues is to invest in a GDE tune.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
I purchased and installed the GDE Hot Tune on my truck after having my exhaust filter cleaned. All I have to say for GDE is they may have a decent program but they will take your 700 bucks and will leave you in the dust. I have 94,000 miles on my truck and thought i was in the clear warranty wise to run the GDE tune. After two weeks of running the hot tune my truck started leaving radiator fluid on the pavement. I think I have isolated the leak to the EGR sensor on the pass side of engine. Corrosion and the smell of radiator fluid, just like above picture. Now my truck is in the dealer with 6,000 miles left on powertrain warranty and I'm crossing my fingers they don't notice the hot tune and can fix problem under warranty? (Real Life Scenario ) You sign off on your warranty or you have to buy another ecm from GDE and swap them every time you go to dealer(RACKET). If the ecm gets flashed by dealer it reverts your $700 GDE Hot Tune into original factor tune and you have to pay GDE ANOTHER $200 and swap out your ECM AGAIN. Things to consider....just saying. GDE is most likely a good tune BUT buyer beware. know what your getting into. GDE trolls don't tell you the whole story.IMG_1664.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Zachary

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
If you need your ECM reflashed with GDE tune it's $50, not $200. Also, you can pay a deposit and have them send you a new one then send your current one back upon arrival, this way there is no down time. Lastly, I hate to say it, but if you have an EGR issue your powertrain warranty won't cover it; heck, the emissions warranty wouldn't even cover it after your bumper to bumper. I'm not advocating a tune, just want to inform after I did my research.

Ecobummer

Feb 13, 2016
Plus shipping and tax your looking at just under 200 i just got off the phone with GDE. If I want to use my truck while my ECM is getting REtuned that would be with their ECM swap out deal, so add another $700 for the ECM core plus tax etc.... Its a good tune as far as I can tell. Just giving real life scenarios to those that are thinking about it. If you want to run the tune get another ECM ($700) so you can swap out hot tune for factory is the lesson I am currently learning.

Zachary

Oct 22, 2017
Truck Year
Wait, are you talking in Canadian currency? If so that would make sense. With shipping it would be less than $70US. Exchange rates suck.

gawoods

Aug 21, 2016
Truck Year
I purchased and installed the GDE Hot Tune on my truck after having my exhaust filter cleaned. All I have to say for GDE is they may have a decent program but they will take your 700 bucks and will leave you in the dust. I have 94,000 miles on my truck and thought i was in the clear warranty wise to run the GDE tune. After two weeks of running the hot tune my truck started leaving radiator fluid on the pavement. I think I have isolated the leak to the EGR sensor on the pass side of engine. Corrosion and the smell of radiator fluid, just like above picture. Now my truck is in the dealer with 6,000 miles left on powertrain warranty and I'm crossing my fingers they don't notice the hot tune and can fix problem under warranty? (Real Life Scenario ) You sign off on your warranty or you have to buy another ecm from GDE and swap them every time you go to dealer(RACKET). If the ecm gets flashed by dealer it reverts your $700 GDE Hot Tune into original factor tune and you have to pay GDE ANOTHER $200 and swap out your ECM AGAIN. Things to consider....just saying. GDE is most likely a good tune BUT buyer beware. know what your getting into. GDE trolls don't tell you the whole story.View attachment 1520
Are you saying that you believe the GDE tune had something to do with your leak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Duramax

May 30, 2018
Truck Year
I bought a 2014 two weeks ago. Within the first week got the Service Electronic Throttle. Deal reset the computer and sent me on my way. A week later, it showed up again. I have 76K on the odo. I cleaned the MAP sensor after the first time but that didn't fix the issue. I cleared the code myself just today. Next time its going to the dealer.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought a 2014 two weeks ago. Within the first week got the Service Electronic Throttle. Deal reset the computer and sent me on my way. A week later, it showed up again. I have 76K on the odo. I cleaned the MAP sensor after the first time but that didn't fix the issue. I cleared the code myself just today. Next time its going to the dealer.

Welcome, Duramax! :D

Blueberry3.14

Jul 11, 2018
Truck Year
I would say the best way around this is to get the HotTune from Green Diesel Engineering. They disable the deal in there that prevents you from having your foot on both pedals at the same time, among a laundry list of other things.

Shawn Thomas

Jun 1, 2018
Truck Year
Had the code show up 4 times in the last week, 3 times in the last 24 hours. My truck has 5200 miles on it. Went to the dealer today and they said FCA has no definite fix for this, and they have a list of shit to replace to see if that’s the solution, etc. they said they’ve seen this code on multiple higher mileage trucks, some that are in need or a regen, etc. however since mine hasn’t even made it to the first oil change, and I drive 100mi round trip to work, that it’s unlikely I’m sooted up. Only modification I have is an AFE intake, but I’ve looked at the connections, everything is in order. Really hoping I’m not stuck wishing i hadn’t got this vehicle.