• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

bdhen

Jun 4, 2016
Truck Year
I don't think they have a clue just what is going on. I have a 2014 with 83,000 miles. They replaced the complete engine 5,000 miles ago after the same situation you discribed above happened eight times from July 2016 thru May 2017. Prior to that, they had replaced the turbo sendor, the complete turbo, several injectors at different times. I don't believe changing out the fuel filter any sooner would've helped. I change mine out when I do an oil change, which is just less than every 10,000 miles.
The dealer had a Chrysler engineer fly in to do the evaluation on the engine prior to being replaced. The engineer was here all week doing all kinds of diagnostics; truck was at the dealer for about three weeks during this time. The dealer said the engineer told them this seems to be an epidemic across the country with this engine. To date, since the introduction of this motor, the dealership that did the work has replaced three ecodiesel engines, two because of lower bearing failure - these were just lower engine replcement, and one complete engine (mine) injectors and all - service manager said that is not normal to be replacing so many engines. And they are just one dealership!

You are definitely making me want to go back to a gas engine, at least until they figure out what is going on with this engine. Really unfortunate they don't have all the bugs worked out. Too many EPA requirements I think.

Chappy20

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Bought a 2014 with 50K miles on it and ETC light came on in July of last year. Since then it has come on eight more times. Had a new sensor installed at a cost of $220 the first time. New turbo (under certified warranty) 2nd time. Now they are just throwing parts at it. Service tech told me that the engineers at Chrysler are scratching their heads over this as they aren't sure what to do, told me it appears to be an epidemic across the country. So far everything has been covered under warranty. ETC (electronic throttle control) came on April 25 2017 (seventh time) was down until May 10. Came back on on May 21 and I still haven't got it back from the dealer. The dealer is in contact with the engineers at Chrysler and the engineers are doing all sorts of diagnostics. SAVE ALL RECEIPTS FROM THE DEALER AND RECORD WHEN IT GOES IN AND YOU GET IT BACK. TAKE PICTURES OF ETC LIGHT FOR RECORDS. I've got a feeling Chrysler is gonna be biting the bullet on this one.

I got the same ETC service message a couple of weeks ago on the way to a show in Branson, Mo. I was pulling a 16ft. box trailer with production gear inside when the truck lost all power and the lightning bolt appeared with the message to "Service Electronic Throttle Control." I called the dealership where I purchased the truck to see what could be done. ( I was in a bit of a panic as I had a show to do that night and new that a couple thousand people were expecting me to be there). The service manager at that dealership told me that he could take a look at it next week and gave me the number to roadside assistance. He said he didn't have any loaners and wouldn't know if my fix would be under warranty until he looked at the truck (understandably). I called roadside and Chrysler sent me a tow to the nearest dealership (not where I bought the truck). My brother brought me his Ford F150 to hook on to my trailer so I could make the show.

Two weeks later, my truck is still at that dealership. I have been in regular contact with the service managers there and I believe they really are trying their best to find out whats wrong with the truck. . .Trouble is they simply can't find the problem. They opened a "star file" after getting a code telling them the turbo chargers weren't working because of an "exhaust leak on the intake side." They said they pressurized the system and can hear the leak but they cannot find it. The engineers at Chrysler on Monday suggested they replace a turbo charger sensor and "see if that works." They replaced the sensor today and it was a fail. They tell me they will have to wait for a call back from the Star File folks to get the next instructions on what to try. I spoke with Chrysler customer service today and they said they would elevate my case higher up the chain and someone should call me within a few days. Suggested that if I had not heard anything by Tuesday of next week to give them a call back. In the meantime it was suggested that I "do a little research online" and "stay in touch with the service manager at the dealership." Maybe, through a little research, I could find some possible solutions to the problem and let the manager know so he could try them (I am by no means a mechanic).

I traded in a 2006 Chevy Avalanche with 224,000 miles on it when I bought this truck because I travel and play music on the weekends. It had always been reliable as a Timex, but I was afraid with 224,000 it might leave me on the side of the road someday. I didn't have my Ram 2015 EcoDiesel for 10 months and it did just that. After reading the threads in this blog/group I'm even more disheartened. Is this a common problem with this truck? Does anyone out there have a solution that worked for them that I could impart to the service managers? I'm not a good mechanic, but I really need a good truck. . .

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I got the same ETC service message a couple of weeks ago on the way to a show in Branson, Mo. I was pulling a 16ft. box trailer with production gear inside when the truck lost all power and the lightning bolt appeared with the message to "Service Electronic Throttle Control." I called the dealership where I purchased the truck to see what could be done. ( I was in a bit of a panic as I had a show to do that night and new that a couple thousand people were expecting me to be there). The service manager at that dealership told me that he could take a look at it next week and gave me the number to roadside assistance. He said he didn't have any loaners and wouldn't know if my fix would be under warranty until he looked at the truck (understandably). I called roadside and Chrysler sent me a tow to the nearest dealership (not where I bought the truck). My brother brought me his Ford F150 to hook on to my trailer so I could make the show.

Two weeks later, my truck is still at that dealership. I have been in regular contact with the service managers there and I believe they really are trying their best to find out whats wrong with the truck. . .Trouble is they simply can't find the problem. They opened a "star file" after getting a code telling them the turbo chargers weren't working because of an "exhaust leak on the intake side." They said they pressurized the system and can hear the leak but they cannot find it. The engineers at Chrysler on Monday suggested they replace a turbo charger sensor and "see if that works." They replaced the sensor today and it was a fail. They tell me they will have to wait for a call back from the Star File folks to get the next instructions on what to try. I spoke with Chrysler customer service today and they said they would elevate my case higher up the chain and someone should call me within a few days. Suggested that if I had not heard anything by Tuesday of next week to give them a call back. In the meantime it was suggested that I "do a little research online" and "stay in touch with the service manager at the dealership." Maybe, through a little research, I could find some possible solutions to the problem and let the manager know so he could try them (I am by no means a mechanic).

I traded in a 2006 Chevy Avalanche with 224,000 miles on it when I bought this truck because I travel and play music on the weekends. It had always been reliable as a Timex, but I was afraid with 224,000 it might leave me on the side of the road someday. I didn't have my Ram 2015 EcoDiesel for 10 months and it did just that. After reading the threads in this blog/group I'm even more disheartened. Is this a common problem with this truck? Does anyone out there have a solution that worked for them that I could impart to the service managers? I'm not a good mechanic, but I really need a good truck. . .

Welcome Chappy!

It seems no one has a fix for Electronic Service Control light. Every time someone reports it, the dealer either resets something or throws parts at the truck hoping to fix it.

Some folks have issues, but, I wouldn't let that scare you. Hopefully when the truck is fixed you'll have minimal issues.

t John

Nov 14, 2016
Truck Year

First off, if this is a warrantied vehicle, part of the warranty is a loaner.

Sounds very similar to mine. First a turbo sensor was replaced, then the turbo, then injectors on several occasions, finally the entire engine about 6,000 miles ago...all under warranty. The new engine has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty, so, im feeling a little better right now.

Chappy20

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Thank you for the replies BoostN and t john. I have an update on my 2015 Laramie EcoDiesel.

It's been 17 days at the dealership and still no word on a correct diagnosis or solution to the issue. So far no one seems to know what is wrong with the pickup. The dealership is currently waiting on another contact from "star file" engineers. (I am trying to stay positive). They changed out the turbo sensor (like in your case t john) last Thursday, at the suggestion of star file engineers, but had little confidence it would work "ON A LEAK THEY COULD HEAR". . .In fact, it did not work.

I spoke with Chrysler customer service last week, as well, to see if there was anything I could do. They assured me they would "ratchet this case up the chain of command." I spoke withe my case representative, "Jim," today and, in all reality, felt worse after speaking with him (no offense to Jim). He said the "problem" lies within the inability to diagnose the "problem." I asked him if there was anything that could be done to expedite the process. He didn't have any real answers for me. I asked about a loaner vehicle and was informed that I could rent an auto from Enterprise at $35/day and Chrysler would reimburse me for the rental (14 days excluding taxes and fees - I would be responsible for those). He said that 14 days was ample time for most fixes (MY TRUCK IS GOING ON 18 DAYS WITH NO ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS).

I don't want to sound like a negative person, and am trying to stay positive. I'm really lucky that I have family members I can lean on. I have another car I can borrow, etc. I can get to work. Jim told me I had a very nice truck. . .I just wished I "had" it here so I could use it. I have work to do. I am very busy. It was an expensive truck, and I don't have the option to go buy another. (Not many of us do).

I run a small town hardware store and I'm no stranger to the intricacies of customer service. It can be tuff. People can be very angry when something is not going there way. Sometimes things happen beyond our control. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to make the situation better. Still you should try. You at least have to make some kind of effort. Let the customer know you hear them and are empathetic to their plight. No matter what you should always try to improve the situation somehow. That being said, I am left with this thought regarding my service call today. . . . .I wish I felt better after my conversation with Jim. . . .Instead, I feel worse.

Jamie

Jul 9, 2017
Truck Year
Had the STC message, the dealer put new injectors in.. 1,000 miles later I got the STC message again. I have lost all faith in my truck.

bill the trucker

Jan 14, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2015 and its been in the shop 3 weeks today...first they replaced the boost pressure sensor ...now they changed the turbo and are waiting for an oil cooler line and hope that cures my troubles

Chappy20

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Day 19 Update on my truck: (2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie - 47000 miles)

I spoke with the dealership today and they informed me that not much progress had been made on my truck. They said they talked with star file engineers and tried a couple of things. 1) Checked a hose running to the turbo for leaks and found none. 2) Checked the turbo charger intercooler. It was fine as well. Now they were waiting for more help from star file folks. Toward the end of my conversation the service manager at the dealership suggested that they might not honestly know how to fix my truck. He said they hadn't really seen any of them before and there might be someone out there better equipped to handle the repair. I appreciated his honesty, and I do believe he has done the best he can to try and help me.

I then called Chrysler customer service. I asked if they could have my truck towed to the dealership where I bought the truck (about 45min away). I knew this would not be cheap, but the truck is under warranty and I have had no loaner or rental for 19 days now. I have been totally on my own. Customer service told me that any movement to another location would have to be at the customers expense. My customer service rep, "Jim," explained to me this was typical with such things. I asked him once again if he could do anything at all for me. He then told me that he could call the dealership that currently had my truck. He couldn't understand how they would tell me I might be better off to go to another dealership where the mechanics told me they had worked on these before. It never made any sense to him on the phone how this could benefit the situation. Paraphrasing, he said I would lose all the time we had invested and the progress we had already made. I couldn't help but feel annoyed by the word progress because there really hasn't been much that I can tell. We exchanged farewell pleasantries and the call ended like it had began. . .with no customer service to be found anywhere.

This evening some wires got crossed at Chrysler Customer Service and another service rep, "Mike," called and told me he was filling in for "Jim" (whom I had already spoken to today). I was glad Mike called because this was the first time anyone had actually called me about my truck. Until this call NO ONE HAD CALLED ME. . .NOT ONE TIME IN 19 DAYS. That is the God's honest truth! Mike and I quickly developed a rapport. He informed me that he had done all he could do on his end for now. He had used all of the resources at his disposal to expedite the repair of my pickup. I asked him what those resources were and don't think I ever actually heard for sure. If I did it slipped through the cracks of the conversation. I did have a few questions for Mike, however. I asked him what would happen if we were still having this conversation 19 days from now. He assured me that he didn't think that would be the case. I said, "What makes you say that? We are already 19 days in with no diagnosis." He then said something very interesting and I was instantly intrigued. . .He said, "because in 10 business days we call the "BOSS" of the dealership. Then things will start to happen very quickly." I was enthralled. I have no idea how a dealership works with Chrysler, the local owner, GM, etc. I said, "you mean the owner of the dealership?" He said, "No higher up than that." I said wow, why do things start happening faster then? He said, well they have resources at their disposal that can get things taken care of very quickly." I had an idea. I said, why can't we just get that going right now! I was excited! Lets kick this magical resource into high gear now and maybe I can get my truck back before September. Mike then informed me that he couldn't do that until 10 more business days had passed. He said, "I have protocols and guidelines that I have to follow. I have to give the dealership adequate time to fix the problem before moving things up the chain." (The date that will happen is August 24th. My truck went into the shop July 28th).

I am sorry for the long post. I am venting a little. I am also documenting my experience. I understand there are protocols and guidelines. What I don't understand from my call with Mike is this. . .If there is a way to get my truck fixed and back to me quicker why not lead with that? To give some comparisons to my situation, My brother had a Mercedes SUV. The engine blew under warranty and Mercedes brought one over from Europe to put in it. He had his vehicle back on the road in less than 12 days. A man I spoke with today had a Toyota pickup quit him this week. Towed it to the dealership and they gave him another truck so he could pull a bass boat to the lake this weekend for a fishing trip. I need a truck this weekend so I can pull a trailer to work. All I hear is, "we can't help you with that."

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
"I have protocols and guidelines that I have to follow. I have to give the dealership adequate time to fix the problem before moving things up the chain."

That's one reason why I hate Corporate America! It's BS. I feel for you man.

Chappy20

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Day 25 update on my EcoDiesel:

Well, I never thought I'd be at day 25 since my truck went into the shop, but here I am. That being. said, I have some new hope for something good to happen soon.

Monday I had my truck towed to another dealership (on my own dime). I felt like it had been at the previous dealership long enough. I think those guys did their best but we just weren't moving in a positive direction that I could see. I now have the truck in a new place. After speaking with the service manager there I was fairly confident he had seen this problem before and knew how to proceed. He informed me that I would need my injectors replaced. He said he had fixed several Ecos with this problem. He also told me that the Ecos didn't do very well with the diesel around here. He mentioned that I would need to be very careful about the fuel I ran in my truck, and suggested I change the fuel filter about every 10,000 miles. I'm not sure when the filter was changed last. I've put about 7,000 miles on the truck since I've had it.

The injectors for the Ecos are currently backordered. The service rep at the dealership said it shouldn't be too long, however, before they were available again. I also spoke with a different rep from Chrysler Customer Service. She informed me that she was "next level," said she was "above" the people I has spoken to previously. She let me know that she would now be overseeing my case and that mechanics were now going to be able to speak with actual Chrysler engineers if needed. She also told me that I needed to document everything that has happened and she would submit it to Chrysler to possibly get me a month truck payment reimbursed. This all sounds like an improvement to the situation I had previously reported. I'm thankful for some progress and hopeful that I may have a truck again sometime soon.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Day 25 update on my EcoDiesel:

Well, I never thought I'd be at day 25 since my truck went into the shop, but here I am. That being. said, I have some new hope for something good to happen soon.

Monday I had my truck towed to another dealership (on my own dime). I felt like it had been at the previous dealership long enough. I think those guys did their best but we just weren't moving in a positive direction that I could see. I now have the truck in a new place. After speaking with the service manager there I was fairly confident he had seen this problem before and knew how to proceed. He informed me that I would need my injectors replaced. He said he had fixed several Ecos with this problem. He also told me that the Ecos didn't do very well with the diesel around here. He mentioned that I would need to be very careful about the fuel I ran in my truck, and suggested I change the fuel filter about every 10,000 miles. I'm not sure when the filter was changed last. I've put about 7,000 miles on the truck since I've had it.

The injectors for the Ecos are currently backordered. The service rep at the dealership said it shouldn't be too long, however, before they were available again. I also spoke with a different rep from Chrysler Customer Service. She informed me that she was "next level," said she was "above" the people I has spoken to previously. She let me know that she would now be overseeing my case and that mechanics were now going to be able to speak with actual Chrysler engineers if needed. She also told me that I needed to document everything that has happened and she would submit it to Chrysler to possibly get me a month truck payment reimbursed. This all sounds like an improvement to the situation I had previously reported. I'm thankful for some progress and hopeful that I may have a truck again sometime soon.

That's progress. At this point that's better than what's been happening. Being without a truck that cost this much and still having to pay for it (usually with nothing else to drive) makes it tough. I've been lucky enough to not have anything that extensive to any vehicle I've owned. Keep us updated.

Chappy20

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Day 26 Another Update on my 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie:

I spoke with my (next level) Chrysler Customer Care agent today. She informed me that the backordered parts (injectors) for my truck were going to be expedited. She told me they were originally supposed to ship October 10th, but now they should ship before that date. She said she wouldn't know when to expect them until August 29th, and that she would call me back at that time to let me know.

I cant help but think that come October I will have owned my truck for 12 months. . .I will have driven it for about 9 of that 12. I have a lot of shows coming up in the next month or so where I really need a truck to tow my production gear. I'm not sure what to do really. I have been borrowing family trucks to this point. The rental companies don't allow towing. . .If my truck is another month, possibly two months, out what can I do? I hate to keep borrowing trucks, but I guess that's my only option. I've never had anything like this happen before. I still can't believe it. My truck is low miles and like new. I'm sure everyone is doing all they can. . .Still, very frustrating.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Day 26 Another Update on my 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie:

I spoke with my (next level) Chrysler Customer Care agent today. She informed me that the backordered parts (injectors) for my truck were going to be expedited. She told me they were originally supposed to ship October 10th, but now they should ship before that date. She said she wouldn't know when to expect them until August 29th, and that she would call me back at that time to let me know.

I cant help but think that come October I will have owned my truck for 12 months. . .I will have driven it for about 9 of that 12. I have a lot of shows coming up in the next month or so where I really need a truck to tow my production gear. I'm not sure what to do really. I have been borrowing family trucks to this point. The rental companies don't allow towing. . .If my truck is another month, possibly two months, out what can I do? I hate to keep borrowing trucks, but I guess that's my only option. I've never had anything like this happen before. I still can't believe it. My truck is low miles and like new. I'm sure everyone is doing all they can. . .Still, very frustrating.

Another month??? Holy crap. That's unacceptable.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Just had the message pop up today for the first time...after reading through this thread I am not looking forward to this process. Wish me luck.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Just got home from the dealership that I bought it at. Of course they're "slammed" but I need my truck Thursday for the long weekend and a camping trip. I drove it down to them, seems like there's no boost. It will not accelerate up hills. RPM's act normal, there's just no pull. Finally got it up to 65-70 and it cruised fine...it was just a pig on acceleration.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Just got home from the dealership that I bought it at. Of course they're "slammed" but I need my truck Thursday for the long weekend and a camping trip. I drove it down to them, seems like there's no boost. It will not accelerate up hills. RPM's act normal, there's just no pull. Finally got it up to 65-70 and it cruised fine...it was just a pig on acceleration.

Have you checked your map sensor. Sounds like that might be your problem. If not at least you could rule it out. And it's only about a 10-15 min check, and clean.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Have you checked your map sensor. Sounds like that might be your problem. If not at least you could rule it out. And it's only about a 10-15 min check, and clean.
Still under warranty...ill let them do the leg work. Seriously considering trading it in after reading this given the amount of times its been to the dealership in the 18 months ive owned it.

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Still under warranty...ill let them do the leg work. Seriously considering trading it in after reading this given the amount of times its been to the dealership in the 18 months ive owned it.

Gotcha...just figured it might get you out of a bind if your dealer can't get you in for a long while.

Good luck!!