• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
Well, I've fallen victim now to the same problem. I'm at 52,000 miles on my 2015 Laramie Limited ED. I have 1650 drive hours and 1600 idle hours. Because I use my vehicle as a work truck I have a lot of idiling hours. Which I knew would bite me in the ass sooner or later. So here it goes...

Last few weeks I've noticed exhaust regen was getting fuller quicker then normal. I did as it suggested and cleared it out by driving it. Last Friday night I get a check engine icon on the dash. I plug it in and get a report for EGR. I take it to dealer where I'm working in Cincinnati, OH. I dropped it off on a Saturday with an estimate for $105 for just an evaluation. Now mind you I have a 3 year unlimited mile warranty I purchased for that truck. THe weekend goes by and Tuesday afternoon approaches and I hear from them saying my truck was done. What's done? No buddy called to tell me what was wrong!?!? When I arrived the service advisor was gone and they want me to pay $115 for a EGR valve clean. Which should be covered under emissions! They tell me it's not, so I paid it only to take it up with Chrysler to have the matter resolved. (Still waiting on Chrysler to call back) So at this point truck has been running fine, nothing wrong in site. Last night I get informed we have 4 day weekend, so I packed my bags to travel 300 miles east to come home and see my wife. No more then 10 miles down the road the warning light pops up. But this time...it's showing me electronic throttle control service. My engine is shifting funny and running high rpms. This is when I pull over and revert to the forum. All of you guys were a huge help with your input and previous dealings. I continued to drive east only pissing people off with my slow speed. I arrived at dealer and what do you know...this isn't the first time They've seen it. Service advisor says they'll replace injectors and tubing and I'll only have to pay for fuel filter. But of course they're back ordered till October. They advised I'd call Chrysler daily to annoy them to move myself up on the list. $1200 a month for a rental which the advisor has said he's gonna do everything in his power to stick it to Chrysler entirely. He also confirmed that cleaning the EGR valve is an emissions thing and should have been covered under warranty. But right as I pull in into the dealer I get another warning light. This time it says "Exhaust filter 100% full service required see dealer". Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't first dealer perform a manual regen? Shouldn't this problem be gone?

I hate to say it guys but this is a huge scare. Enough to make me slip a for sale sign In the window. Even more so when the service advisor says we'll replace injectors but this isn't a sure thing and we can't guarantee it won't come back. They have been problem shooting from replacing turbos to injectors and more...why can't Chrysler find an answer for a problem that started for some as early as 2015?

Attachments

• IMG_3160.JPG
    IMG_3160.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 30

SRICH15

Jun 18, 2017
Truck Year
As said before but the Map sensor is known to cause this!!! Simple tp clean. I know you have a warranty but.....

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
As said before but the Map sensor is known to cause this!!! Simple tp clean. I know you have a warranty but.....
I appreciate the "easy" answer but let's pretend I'm no tech or have little to no knowledge on how this process is done (because I don't). How do I do it?

SRICH15

Jun 18, 2017
Truck Year
Buy 1-2 cans of Non chlorinated brake cleaner(cheaper and works) or maf sensor cleaner at the parts store. Pull the plastic eco engine cover, Locate the map sensor in the picture ( on the back drivers side of the motor) Using a T40 socket remove the screw and unplug the wire connector. The sensor just pulls out gently. Spray it with the cleaner and use a toothpick or something to help remove the Soot!!! Re install and your good!!! If you want a trouble free truck buy a GDE tune!!!

Attachments

• map sensor.jpg
    map sensor.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
To follow up on my repair, it ended up being a failed boost control sensor that threw the warning light. Luckily my dealership had one on the shelf and I had my truck back in 2 days. The following day after picking it up, I hooked up my 7k pound travel trailer and hit the mountains for the lake. I was a little reluctant about making the haul with the repair being so fresh so I made sure to add 100 miles on the odo, thankfully it towed / drove fine and I haven't had any issues since.

I did purchase the extended full warranty since I was getting close to the factory one expiring. Fingers crossed that I don't run into any more problems. I also am adding Lucas fuel additive to every full tank fuel up to keep the system clean. Ive always had good luck with the Lucas in my gas trucks in the past.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
To follow up on my repair, it ended up being a failed boost control sensor that threw the warning light. Luckily my dealership had one on the shelf and I had my truck back in 2 days. The following day after picking it up, I hooked up my 7k pound travel trailer and hit the mountains for the lake. I was a little reluctant about making the haul with the repair being so fresh so I made sure to add 100 miles on the odo, thankfully it towed / drove fine and I haven't had any issues since.

I did purchase the extended full warranty since I was getting close to the factory one expiring. Fingers crossed that I don't run into any more problems. I also am adding Lucas fuel additive to every full tank fuel up to keep the system clean. Ive always had good luck with the Lucas in my gas trucks in the past.

Nice quick fix!

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
New to the forum. I have a 2015 Bighorn with 62,000 trouble free miles until now. Got the same Electronic Throttle control issue same as several on this thread. Limited power and poor throttle response. I'll bring it in tomorrow and provide an update. Anyone know s dealership in the Charlotte area that has experience with this issue?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
New to the forum. I have a 2015 Bighorn with 62,000 trouble free miles until now. Got the same Electronic Throttle control issue same as several on this thread. Limited power and poor throttle response. I'll bring it in tomorrow and provide an update. Anyone know s dealership in the Charlotte area that has experience with this issue?

Welcome @Apks

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Update on my Electronic Throttle control warning. I took Srich15 advice and cleaned the MAP sensor and reset the code. The MAP censor was plugged shut with soot. I also added 8 ounces of Hot Shot Seceret Diesel Extreme to a half tank of fuel and drove about 100 miles these last 2 days with no issues. Runs perfect again. No hesitation and weak power: no codes. I find it hard to believe that this is the fix to this problem given the way the MAP sensor looked. That means that soot is everywhere! It's only a matter of time before the next issue pops up as a result of this mess.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Update on my Electronic Throttle control warning. I took Srich15 advice and cleaned the MAP sensor and reset the code. The MAP censor was plugged shut with soot. I also added 8 ounces of Hot Shot Seceret Diesel Extreme to a half tank of fuel and drove about 100 miles these last 2 days with no issues. Runs perfect again. No hesitation and weak power: no codes. I find it hard to believe that this is the fix to this problem given the way the MAP sensor looked. That means that soot is everywhere! It's only a matter of time before the next issue pops up as a result of this mess.

Good to here!

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Another update: after a full day of no problems and 200 miles, I left the house this morning and within 30 seconds, the hesitation and weak power started. 5 miles later, the warning light came on again. Went to dealership and they said they wanted to replace EGR valve and EGR cooler at a price of $2,600 on me. Not covered under powertrain. And no guarantee it would fix the issue. They reset the code and drove it without any issues. I declined to approve these repairs. All the parts are also on backorder. Truck has been fine the rest of the day. About 75 miles.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Another update: after a full day of no problems and 200 miles, I left the house this morning and within 30 seconds, the hesitation and weak power started. 5 miles later, the warning light came on again. Went to dealership and they said they wanted to replace EGR valve and EGR cooler at a price of $2,600 on me. Not covered under powertrain. And no guarantee it would fix the issue. They reset the code and drove it without any issues. I declined to approve these repairs. All the parts are also on backorder. Truck has been fine the rest of the day. About 75 miles.

How many miles do you have?

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
I also discovered a possible link in my coolant disappearing and the issue with the electronic Throttle control warning. Sounds like the coolant might be leaking into the EGR cooler as reported by several on another forum and on this forum under a different thread. Any thoughts?
My truck ran awful again this morning followed shortly by the code again. I cleared the code and headed on my way with no further issues.

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Found one dealership in NC that had an EGR cooler in stock in Kernersville. They ordered extra a few months ago because the had 5 Ecodiesels all with the same P0402 code and fixed all of them with the EGR cooler replacement. It sounds like the print between the EGR cooler and the EGR valve is the problem. It's allowing small amounts coolant to get into the EGR cooler. They will get to my truck on Monday. I'll report back after that.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Found one dealership in NC that had an EGR cooler in stock in Kernersville. They ordered extra a few months ago because the had 5 Ecodiesels all with the same P0402 code and fixed all of them with the EGR cooler replacement. It sounds like the print between the EGR cooler and the EGR valve is the problem. It's allowing small amounts coolant to get into the EGR cooler. They will get to my truck on Monday. I'll report back after that.
That's positive news at least.

Benito

Sep 27, 2016
Truck Year
Hi all,
Update after all this of this time.
RAM agreed to buy back on may 2, 2017. I’m still waiting on them to buy it back 7 months later. We have signed notarized paperwork, terms and everything, and to this day I’m still paying for the truck and insurance, oh and the truck has been in the shop for the last 5 weeks for the same issue yet again!
My dealer provided a loaner but it isn’t a truck.

Here is what puzzles me : I am not a diesel newbie. I owned BMW d’s since the 90’s the last of which is a 2014 full of emission crap, not a single problem with 56K miles.
My work vehicle is a 2012 Mercedes Benz R350 BlueTEC with 126K miles. Not a single problem ever, and this car gets abused on a daily basis, and this particular car is the reason why I bought an ecodiesel. Because at the time I honestly thought they shared the same engine.

I love driving this truck, I am even considering a new model giving how my dealer treated me right.... maybe a 2500

Apks

Oct 8, 2017
Truck Year
Finally got my truck back. Service tech was able to clean out the EGR valve rather than replacing it. That saved me about $900. Replaced leaking EGR cooler and MAP sensor for $2200. We agreed that it was likely going to happen again in the future despite my 80% highway miles. My option now is to sell / trade the truck for a gas V6 (Ram or Colorado/Canyon) or do the GDE tune. 62,000 miles currently. I use the truck mainly for work driving about 800-900 miles per week mostly highway. Light towing on the weekends. I test drove the Ram V6 yesterday and really didn't like it.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Finally got my truck back. Service tech was able to clean out the EGR valve rather than replacing it. That saved me about $900. Replaced leaking EGR cooler and MAP sensor for $2200. We agreed that it was likely going to happen again in the future despite my 80% highway miles. My option now is to sell / trade the truck for a gas V6 (Ram or Colorado/Canyon) or do the GDE tune. 62,000 miles currently. I use the truck mainly for work driving about 800-900 miles per week mostly highway. Light towing on the weekends. I test drove the Ram V6 yesterday and really didn't like it.

If you want to get away from the EcoDiesel, how about the 2.8L Duramax? Decent size trucks, good fuel mileage as well... or you could always trade up and get into another EcoDiesel with a warranty if you really like the platform/truck.