• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler Questions

wizardofcroz

Oct 25, 2022
Truck Year
Hey y'all.

I'm new... to the forum and to the ED. Frankly, I'm new to all things mechanical... So I apologize in advance for any ignorant questions or statements...

I purchased a 2016 Ram ED LoneStar Edition a few months back. To be honest, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I've already replaced the MAP sensor and the Coolant Temp Sensor (s/o YouTube tutorials).

In the last month, it's started to absolutely guzzle coolant. It has overheated twice and has probably been going through a gallon of coolant/week. No noticeable leaks. All my reading points me to the EGR Cooler failing and pumping coolant into the intake. It's not under warranty. I've ordered an EGR Delete kit and waiting for that to arrive.

Honestly, I feel a little overwhelmed by the options. On one hand, I'm worried I will need to drop 4-5K to have the EGR cooler professionally replaced. On the other hand, I'm worried if I do the delete, that I will screw something up trying to DIY.

If y'all were in my shoes... do you:

1. Fork over the money and have the EGR professionally replaced?
2. Delete the EGR?
----If I delete the EGR, do I have to also do a tune? Will it work without a tune?
3. If I delete EGR and purchase a tune, what tune is best?

**I'm in Texas, so I don't think emissions tests will be an issue, right?

Thanks in advance.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
There's a TSB replacing the cooler - V81 Safety Recall VB1 / NHTSA 19V-757
Diesel EGR Cooler

Attachments

• 007b-VB1 Description.pdf
    506.5 KB · Views: 13

Gregggarcia16

May 13, 2022
Truck Year
Hey y'all.

I'm new... to the forum and to the ED. Frankly, I'm new to all things mechanical... So I apologize in advance for any ignorant questions or statements...

I purchased a 2016 Ram ED LoneStar Edition a few months back. To be honest, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I've already replaced the MAP sensor and the Coolant Temp Sensor (s/o YouTube tutorials).

In the last month, it's started to absolutely guzzle coolant. It has overheated twice and has probably been going through a gallon of coolant/week. No noticeable leaks. All my reading points me to the EGR Cooler failing and pumping coolant into the intake. It's not under warranty. I've ordered an EGR Delete kit and waiting for that to arrive.

Honestly, I feel a little overwhelmed by the options. On one hand, I'm worried I will need to drop 4-5K to have the EGR cooler professionally replaced. On the other hand, I'm worried if I do the delete, that I will screw something up trying to DIY.

If y'all were in my shoes... do you:

1. Fork over the money and have the EGR professionally replaced?
2. Delete the EGR?
----If I delete the EGR, do I have to also do a tune? Will it work without a tune?
3. If I delete EGR and purchase a tune, what tune is best?

**I'm in Texas, so I don't think emissions tests will be an issue, right?

Thanks in advance.
Mines doing the same thing and I’m also waiting on egr delete, already have stage 2 tune and exhaust. Ok this is shitty but you should replace the intake manifold anyhow, they’re a giant crispy mess, so when you get the manifold off there is the turbo coolant line in there metal to rubber and back to metal. The rubber part blows out like shown below. Pretty sure you’re fine that’s the problem because if it was pouring into your intake, it would’ve cut fire already probably. Good luck. If you have any more questions, you can ask you will need some special tools and advice when dismantling the fuel system to get into the intake.

Attachments

• 746EBC47-3742-43F6-A635-24CC6DC7F950.jpeg
    746EBC47-3742-43F6-A635-24CC6DC7F950.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 6FEB8861-F5B4-4FA1-B5E1-A5EADCBF6510.jpeg
    6FEB8861-F5B4-4FA1-B5E1-A5EADCBF6510.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2