• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electronic Throttle Control Error - Dealer says its fuel injectors

KC-Pitt

Jul 6, 2016
Truck Year
2015 Ram 1500 with 32,000 miles. This is the third time I have received the message and had the engine go into limp mode. The first time the truck was 2 months old, it was 30 degrees out and I had parked it for about an hour. The dealer had it for 2 days and all they did was a software update. The second time was over a year later I had stopped for a few minutes while towing a trailer across Ohio and Indiana on a 50 degree day. I was fortunate to find a dealer just before they closed. They did a software update and I was on my way, no more turning it off that day. The most current time was today (three months later) after a 10 mile drive home from work yesterday and being parked in my driveway overnight I got to find it in limp mode once again. I took it to the dealer and they say that the fuel on the East Coast is bad and that my injectors are probably gummed up. They have to send them to be cleaned or replace them which will take several days. I have a hard time believing this since we have 4 other diesel engines in our family including one with the same engine a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 20k and no problems. Has anyone ever figured out a solution to this? Is there a way to reset if so you don't get stranded?

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-7_8-49-31.png
    upload_2016-7-7_8-49-31.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 13

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So, as far as resetting it..you can get a code reader and use that to reset OBDII codes. I would assume that would clear the error message for you.

Hopefully someone else has more info for you.

KC-Pitt

Jul 6, 2016
Truck Year
That sounds like a good idea, do you recommend one and is the plug universal to all makes and models. I am looking on Amazon now. Thanks

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
I don't get the conclusion of fuel injectors from a boost leak / under boost code. I would have smoke tested the air intake and charge pressure system. I had the same codes on my 2015 when it had less than 100 miles on it. Found a pinched o-ring on the boost pressure sensor. Intermittent problem so one test drive could have showed the same results as yours. Need to catch the problem when it happens.
My 2 cents but I don't buy the injector diagnosis.

KC-Pitt

Jul 6, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for your input, I bought a code reader so that the next time it happens I can get them myself and reset the computer to keep on moving. I replaced the fuel filter which the dealer is suggesting be done every 15k now. I have not looked at the air filter, but will now after reading your post. Thanks again for your 2 cents.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its extremely unlikely the Injectors are causing the problem... most likely MAP sensor.

Attachments

• ED map 4.jpg
    ED map 4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ED map sen.jpg
    ED map sen.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 28

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
8,000 miles.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
I'm getting the same P0299 code intermittently on my ED - 13k miles now. It happens on first start up, seemingly randomly. The truck stays in (annoying) limp mode until I reset the code. Then it is gone. I will pull my MAP sensor and see how gummed up it is.

Potentially Useless Data Points -
*This code has only occurred for me while running my GDE ECU. It hasn't occurred on the stock ECU yet.
*I have never gotten this code while driving down the road - it is always on first start up.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Clean the diffuser tube also..I'm surprised That code pops up with the GDE tune..GDE tuning is pretty good when it comes no Mil / CEL.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Picture of Diffuser Tube

Attachments

• 3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    3.0 ED engine (2).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 58

James Hoffman

Aug 23, 2015
Truck Year
it is my understanding that this is a defect in the computer module. when it occured in my truck the dealer had it for 4 days and did a half dozen fixes proposed by the factory. none worked. ultimately that had to put in a new computer module and the problem has not reoccured in the 8K miles since.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
it is my understanding that this is a defect in the computer module. when it occured in my truck the dealer had it for 4 days and did a half dozen fixes proposed by the factory. none worked. ultimately that had to put in a new computer module and the problem has not reoccured in the 8K miles since.

Welcome to the forum James. Thanks for the info!

kwells1254

Jun 1, 2016
Truck Year
I get an etc error message and engine shuts down if I press the acc pedal and brake at the same time. I got this a few time before I realized that my bad driving habit was causing it.

Paing

Aug 4, 2016
Truck Year
2015 Ram 1500 with 32,000 miles. This is the third time I have received the message and had the engine go into limp mode. The first time the truck was 2 months old, it was 30 degrees out and I had parked it for about an hour. The dealer had it for 2 days and all they did was a software update. The second time was over a year later I had stopped for a few minutes while towing a trailer across Ohio and Indiana on a 50 degree day. I was fortunate to find a dealer just before they closed. They did a software update and I was on my way, no more turning it off that day. The most current time was today (three months later) after a 10 mile drive home from work yesterday and being parked in my driveway overnight I got to find it in limp mode once again. I took it to the dealer and they say that the fuel on the East Coast is bad and that my injectors are probably gummed up. They have to send them to be cleaned or replace them which will take several days. I have a hard time believing this since we have 4 other diesel engines in our family including one with the same engine a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 20k and no problems. Has anyone ever figured out a solution to this? Is there a way to reset if so you don't get stranded?
Just had the same issue with my 2015 ram with 30,000 km. Limped into the dealer with only first gear. They said it was a loose wire on the turbo. Has been fine since (about another 7000 km)