• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Block Heater

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I wouldn't complain, mine has never been able to do that. Well worth the electricity

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Honestly I can run a full 15 min remote start cycle, with a winter front, and with it plugged in when it is below zero and I won't hit much over 100 degrees

Bri

Dec 27, 2017
Truck Year
Thank you for your help!
I'm new to having a diesel and I was not sure what the temp numbers should be after I plugged it in.

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
Some people use timers to turn on the engine block heater. Instead I bought a remote controlled outlet for my block heater from Amazon. I have the outside switch outside my bedroom window which has a red indicator lite on it that lights when it is turned on. Also I have one of those short lighted pigtails that I plug into block Have extention cord to plug into the lighted pigtail. I only turn on block heater about 3 hours before I am going to start truck.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you for your help!
I'm new to having a diesel and I was not sure what the temp numbers should be after I plugged it in.
Anything above freezing is d
Ok Thank you I will look for that on Amazon.
You can find them at Wally world or your local hardware store as well if you like the remote outlet idea. It's pretty common and now discounted with Christmas lighting.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
I didn't read the first 3 pages of this post but 60 degrees F above ambient is normal for 2+ hours with the block heater plugged in.

Butch

Jan 27, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Ecodiesel Laramie Longhorn Limited. The temps in the past month have been flirting with zero so I thought I should hook up my engine block heater. I bought the Katz engine block heater cord, a Noco A/C Port Plug, insulating cloth tape, heat resistant split loom wire conduit, 1/2" wire harness retainer clips, and metal tape. I've prepared the cord and started contemplating the routing. Finding the fender wall holes for the clips and a place for the AC port plug seems to be the biggest hurdle. There doesn't seem to be anywhere convenient to fit the A/C port.
Here's the only spots that look possible. Anyone else find a better location?
IMG_1254.jpg

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The bumper insert is most common that I've seen. I've had that lower valance off and I can't say that I'd want a plug in in that location.

TIM rOSENBERG

Feb 16, 2018
Truck Year
I agree! Anything that prolongs the life of my truck for little cost seems like a no brainier.
From what I've seen and read all engine's came with the heater just not with the cord if it came with the engine it's on the side of the engine back corner of engine under exhaust manifold look up Geno's garage shows a good video

John13573

Jan 28, 2019
Truck Year
Bought a 2016 EcoDiesel. What temp should I start plugging it in. I haven’t yet and it was 0 degrees out last week. I didn’t know I had the block heater till I saw this thread.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Bought a 2016 EcoDiesel. What temp should I start plugging it in. I haven’t yet and it was 0 degrees out last week. I didn’t know I had the block heater till I saw this thread.
Whenever you want to pay the electricity cost for a little faster warm up. I don't worry too much about plugging mine in until single digits but it does help. I've had it plugged in in +40. But that's Just me

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks to this thread, I now know that I have a block heater and better yet mine came with the cord installed. It has a nice plug with a cover and was tucked in under the radiator cowling above the passenger-side headlight. Needless to say I plugged it in last night as it has been 0 or below for what seems forever in Iowa this winter.

I will attach a picture when I can, but to make a long story short, when I started her up this morning the air temp was 10 degrees, my coolant temp was 75, and oil was 122. Transmission fluid was around 30. The truck started much easier today and the defrost was warm/hot very quickly.

Regarding plug locale, I am just letting it dangle between the headlight and the grill. Once it warms up outside I will tuck it back in where I found it.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks to this thread, I now know that I have a block heater and better yet mine came with the cord installed. It has a nice plug with a cover and was tucked in under the radiator cowling above the passenger-side headlight. Needless to say I plugged it in last night as it has been 0 or below for what seems forever in Iowa this winter.

I will attach a picture when I can, but to make a long story short, when I started her up this morning the air temp was 10 degrees, my coolant temp was 75, and oil was 122. Transmission fluid was around 30. The truck started much easier today and the defrost was warm/hot very quickly.

Regarding plug locale, I am just letting it dangle between the headlight and the grill. Once it warms up outside I will tuck it back in where I found it.
Glad to see the forum helping our members. That makes it worthwhile. 🆒

Heinzdc

Feb 14, 2021
Truck Year
Manual for my 16 ecodiesel says block heater is "required" for less than -20F. Temp tonight is right at that mark and truck won't even crank, (brand new battery) is it possible there is some kind of protection built in that won't even let it try when it's this cold??

Beaulieu06

Feb 10, 2021
Truck Year
Hey thanks. In the process. Do you guys run winter fronts as well?
Yeah, I run the FIA winter front on my truck, I would highly recommend if you are in a sustained - temps. I’m up in Alaska drive the first week here with out it and it took the truck abt 30-40 min to really warm up. Since installing its warm and ready to rock in abt 10.

My 12th DSL

Apr 26, 2018
Truck Year
Poor man's winter front - piece of carboard in front of the rad under the hood. It's been pushing -40 here in central Alberta last week and it works fine. I park in an unheated garage over night at a temp of -10C (14F) and trucks starts fine without a block heater. I drive it easy for about 6 blocks before the heater starts to provide heat to the cab. I take the cardboard out when the outdoor temps get close to 0C (32F).
If your block heater is working properly, 1.5-2 hours is all you need even at sub -30 temps.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah, I run the FIA winter front on my truck, I would highly recommend if you are in a sustained - temps. I’m up in Alaska drive the first week here with out it and it took the truck abt 30-40 min to really warm up. Since installing its warm and ready to rock in abt 10.

Lol dang I posted that back when I bought the truck, almost 6 years ago now.

I run mine when I see temps below 40 degrees F on a regular basis. In Ohio, that is only about 2 months a year. But this winter has been a good and cold one so it's been on for almost 3 months.