• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine failure @ 148000 miles.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Oh yeah, this engine really is not bad in price to rebuild, still 1/4 the cost of a merlin, as long as I don't hurt the block or crank. I can get all the parts and rebuild it myself, the entire piston to cap assembly is $260. The heads are nuts though, they're $4000

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I don't have any good tech schools around me. I taught a class at Lincoln in denver, wyotech is too far and so is lincoln

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm much further from any of those locations but I know I'd consider it pending I was in the disaster situation that you are. But that's just me. I mean maybe they'd even be inclined to arrange shipping if they're seriously interested in learning about a new industry leading engine you know?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
And you have ran a current oil sample correct not just the last oil change? It still doesn't necessarily rule out fuel as it could be a harness etc. But it's just strange. How about the contents in your catch can is it catching some of your particulates?

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Dude it's not the fuel or fuel system. System is 100% in spec on the truck and off the truck. Before and after testing it's the same. I cannot manipulate anything to get a change in the sound.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
How about any other components that maybe are not in the oil system...do these trucks have timing chains etc? I have faith in oil samples although not complete faith we have sent samples of oil from a blown up transmission and had them come back clean....

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Sorry to hear the bad news. Did learn a lot from your work on the EcoDiesel. 148,000 miles is 238,000 KM in Canada. Toyota Corolla are known to last over 200,000 miles. One would expect 400,000 on a diesel. Let us know the issue once it figured out.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Shawn...

Had to come over here just to get the latest news about this bummer of a deal you are going through.

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
I wonder how many others have over 100K on their ecodiesel? I hope they end up to be proven as really good dependable motors. Lasting to 200K shouldn't be a problem for a diesel. Gas motors do it all the time!

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Nothing yet, just spending lots of money on rentals and exploratory diagnostics. Sucks but I'm trying to save my sleeping Beauty. I have an idea what it is and I found a young new energetic diesel shop owner who is actually really excited to tear it down and rebuild it for the experience. No shop will touch it in my state. But thank goodness for hungry young energetic guys unlike myself. In the meantime ill be working all weekend in the snow to get my dad's old 88 gmc fixed up unburied from the field, have to clean out all the cobwebs out of the cab and engine bay change the fuel filter change all the fluids and put new tires on it so I can use it for the next couple weeks. If it is what I think it is, it's kinda an expensive fix but it's worth it and preventable. It's a common issue with the 2.8l vm engines and all race engines. And no it had nothing to do with me putting filters everywhere and putting a oil separator on it. One clue ill give you is this diesel can be very rewarding but they are really delicate and need to be treated as such like a woman's feelings, they can only take so much before they break. I'm sorry there's only so much I will tell as I hate feeding my trolls on other forums. Since my first problem my support has disappeared and the sheer number of people who enjoy watching me fail is horrendous and really opened my eyes to social media. This has been a long month but I have had some help from some top engineers, engineers, Bosch is actually working really hard on this fuel system and wants it to the reliable, so it was worth my time to pull everything and send it in to them. There is some underground new information about the ecodiesel from some top design engineers about our maintenance schedule and operating habits that I'll definetely be following.
As for captainmal that is on genuine valuable member to have on this forum. Thank Thank joining.
Until I get some real answers for my pof ill just have to wait like you:(

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Keep grinding Shawn.

Kurt Abrams

Oct 25, 2015
Truck Year
Only the one looks really terrible the rest ya they have some carbon but that's typical for any diesel engine...I would start by finding your nearest Bosch certified injector shop...but make sure they are Bosch cert otherwise they won't have the equipment to do the high pressure common rail injectors correctly. They should clean and test all six for about 100 to 150 bucks at least that's what we pay to get them done for mourning hpcr tractors. It's a relatively cheap test given what you have the potential to spend.
I miss a few days and this? Sorry to hear Shawn.. yes, have the injectors tested would be step 1. No engine codes stored to help with the diagnostics?
This is what I am afraid of I will just do my own dpf delete. I have 5000 miles on a two month old truck

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Glad to hear you believe that you found a culprit I know myself among many others are anxious to hear an outcome, and possibly some shortcomings on the engine and how to treat this delicate little lady for the future. ;)