• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Failure - 2016 Ecodiesel - 74,000 miles - out of warranty by 6 months!

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
I had a 2006 Laramie with a Hemi. 4 speed with overdrive? I tow a camper too. This motor (EcoDiesel)towed so much better until.. I bought it with 44k miles. Put 30k on on less than a year.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I had a 2006 Laramie with a Hemi. 4 speed with overdrive? I tow a camper too. This motor (EcoDiesel)towed so much better until.. I bought it with 44k miles. Put 30k on on less than a year.

The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is a good engine, however, quality control and design weakness has resulted in an estimated 10% failure rate. Most of the flawed engines seems to fail in the first 70,000 miles or so. Fortunately, the engines are pretty affordable considering they come with a new turbo, new CP4 pump, and new injectors. The highest mileage EcoDiesel that I've seen had 452,000 miles on it before it had cooling issues.

I've done a few things to mine to help with engine and oil cooling. For one, I swapped out the restrictive Big Horn grille for the honeycomb grille. I also added the GDE EPA Tune which allows for the lower temp thermostat. And lastly, I added an aluminum deep oil pan with cooling fins.

gIB0xGz.jpg

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Cool. I liked the motor very much. I guess I hit the 70k wall with mine.

Most engine failures occur within the 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty period. Unfortuantlly, you have a fairly low mileage truck for the year, otherwise it too would have fell under warranty. Being optimistic for a moment, at least you'll start off fresh with a new engine.

Stating on May 1st of 2020, I started saving $250 per month to put towards future repairs. It's not always cheap to keep these trucks into high mileage, but I figured setting aside $250 per month is still cheaper than buying a new truck every 5 years. It adds up quick, though. I now have $5,500 saved up.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Biodiesel That Pan will ONLY slow down the operating Temp Time ( Because of more fluid) Thats It..... Now to the 452K VM3.0 There Are NO VM3.0s that have made that mileage that are COC, only a few Illegally operated Eco 3.0VM made that Mark. The rest have had early retirement or $1000s in repair.

1/2 Ton DSL's are on their way out, The Additional cost of INSURANCE, Fuel, Maintenance, Repairs, and the upfront cost of the 1/2 ton DSL engine negate any advantage over gas. Ford and GM have already Drop the 1/2 Ton DSL, Stellantis will be joining the out of Production soon, I'm surprised its even in production at current. So save up that $$$ and you will see when you buy that 5.7L Limited you wish you would have done it sooner.

The only way the 1/2 ton Ram Ton DSL will survive is new power plant....and Yes FPT has one.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Biodiesel That Pan will ONLY slow down the operating Temp Time ( Because of more fluid) Thats It..... Now to the 452K VM3.0 There Are NO VM3.0s that have made that mileage that are COC, only a few Illegally operated Eco 3.0VM made that Mark. The rest have had early retirement or $1000s in repair.

1/2 Ton DSL's are on their way out, The Additional cost of INSURANCE, Fuel, Maintenance, Repairs, and the upfront cost of the 1/2 ton DSL engine negate any advantage over gas. Ford and GM have already Drop the 1/2 Ton DSL, Stellantis will be joining the out of Production soon, I'm surprised its even in production at current. So save up that $$$ and you will see when you buy that 5.7L Limited you wish you would have done it sooner.

The only way the 1/2 ton Ram Ton DSL will survive is new power plant....and Yes FPT has one.
I heard that gm had an online diesel 6 for the 1500..

Are they dropping it?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Are they dropping it?

The 3.0L Duramax is being used in the 2022 GM and Chevy 1/2 ton truck, Tahoe, Suburban, etc. The last I heard, they are replacing the smaller 2.8L diesel in the Colorado and Canyon with the 3.0L Duramax.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Now to the 452K VM3.0 There Are NO VM3.0s that have made that mileage that are COC, only a few Illegally operated Eco 3.0VM made that Mark.
That's true. Every EcoDiesel with 350,000+ miles have been tuned. There have been two individuals who claim they went 300,000 on stock tuning.

350,000 Mile Club
VernDiesel - 371,000 miles (engine only)

400,000 Mile Club
VernDiesel - 423,000 miles (engine only)

450,000 Mile Club
James - 452,000 miles (engine only)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
All Illegally operated. Biodiesel don't mislead members and readers...Its pertinent that the facts are NONE of those are OEM equip miles...I have no problem with those miles stating these are AECD non-compliant... NO EGR or Plenum can reach 200K miles without replacement in any 3.0VM .... I also aware some 300K miles OEM 3.0VM exists, NONE Have Virgin AECD and GDE pre/hot emission tuning. Most have $1000s in repair costs.

On Edit.... The 3.0VM does ok in HWY/CITY 90/10 use the DD owner will NEVER see 200K COC without $1000s in repairs.

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I disagree with the statements that failure rarely occur after 70k... I see them reported with mileage all over the place. plenty around 100k as well. that said there are a lot of possible triggers for this including new owners and different driving habits as well as uses.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Augiedoogy ,I would agree But The Dealership I'm Patterned with has Associated Chev Dealer and after I contacted them and ask to see if LM2 3.0 could be ordered it stated pending. Thier was 3 LM3.0s available on the lot, they are NOT selling.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I disagree with the statements that failure rarely occur after 70k... I see them reported with mileage all over the place. plenty around 100k as well. that said there are a lot of possible triggers for this including new owners and different driving habits as well as uses.

You better go back and reread what I wrote. Nowhere did I say that a failure rarely occurs after 70K.

"Most engine failures occur within the 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty period."

"The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is a good engine, however, quality control and design weakness has resulted in an estimated 10% failure rate. Most of the flawed engines seems to fail in the first 70,000 miles or so."

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is a good engine, however, quality control and design weakness has resulted in an estimated 10% failure rate. Most of the flawed engines seems to fail in the first 70,000 miles or so.

gIB0xGz.jpg
I was referring to this statement. I dont agree with it. IMO the main bearing fail when they fail.. Typically when the crank has flexed one too many times when the conditions are right to spin the bearing. This is influenced by a lot of things including but not limited to, oil, use, rpms, load and driving habits. Theres a few recent threads at the other popular forum in which the engines have over 100k with this same failure due to the same weakness as those engines that died before 70k...
The question should be how long would that motor have lasted without the mains failure and how many other engine designs as commonly spin main bearings regardless of miles.

Last edited:

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I was referring to this statement. I dont agree with it.
My statement is a fact. It's a fact that most failures happen within the first 70,000 miles. Many failures happened within the first 30,000 miles. According to GDE, "the main bearing issues is partially design weaknesses and assembly tolerance stack-ups." In other words, some engines meet specs and others don't. Most engines that don't meet specs are going to fail pretty early. The chances of having a spun bearing at 100,000 miles is pretty low. The chances of having a spun bearing at 150,000 is even lower.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Over the decades I've seen many puke engines most are competition under extreme RPMs and load, We spec our engines to the lube we recommend, it's that tight...or loose... You don't have cranks flexing for very long Hrs or miles. Before it pukes itself to death. I'm not going into details on My out spec Main bearings (2015) which I replace after the 1st OA... and sure enough VM had the oversize I needed How enlightening Hummmm....

Its the QC at VM cento take of the blinders, some have been wearing for years. It's a Hero-Zero engine for the rotating assembly.

IMO, if you own VM powerplant(s) your bank Account requires OAs or it MAY see a BIG withdrawal without warning.....

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
IMO, if you own VM powerplant(s) your bank Account requires OAs or it MAY see a BIG withdrawal without warning.....
I agree that long term ownership could be costly. I've been fortunate so far. My truck hasn't thrown a code in over three years. Speaking of OAs, I just got my analysis report yesterday. There's only 5,368 miles on the engine oil, but the oil spent 8 months in the engine. That's a lot of idle time, cold starts, daily short commutes, and some towing. The T6 lost approximately 50% of its TBN capacity as it dropped from 10.6 to 4.91, which isn't a surprise. T6 uses a softer base oil which doesn't hold up to oxidation like a better-quality oil, but it still protected the engine for this type of interval.

Attachments

• 2015 EcoDiesel UOA.pdf
    160.6 KB · Views: 12

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Biodiesel Nice report, If you have established trends that have the same results it's a Hero👍👍👍.

Nice to see Rotella started increasing the Zinc again, I would like to see the Moly at higher levels, but it had no effect on wear with this sample, How Many Miles on the lube?

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Biodiesel Nice report, If you have established trends that have the same results it's a Hero👍👍👍.

Nice to see Rotella started increasing the Zinc again, I would like to see the Moly at higher levels, but it had no effect on wear with this sample, How Many Miles on the lube?
There's only 5,368 miles on this sample, but the oil spent 8 months in the engine. Lots of cold starts, short commutes, biodiesel in every tank, and towing. Severe service for sure, but the T6 did its job.

I sent my OA to a lab tech to get his input. He said fleet managers typically draw a hard line at 4.0 on T6 TBN. He thought I might be able to stretch out the interval to 6,200-6,800 miles. My driving habits are different from month-to-month, year-to-year, so it's hard to follow any type of interval.

h7xWd4p.jpg

e5eqwt0.jpg

K51kYgy.jpg