• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Failure - 2016 Ecodiesel - 74,000 miles - out of warranty by 6 months!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Biodisesel Commercially refined Is the Best diesel you can put into your Tank. MN has 20% Mandatory May-Oct 3% the rest of the year, BD has come a Long ways in the last 15 Years.............

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Biodisesel Commercially refined Is the Best diesel you can put into your Tank. MN has 20% Mandatory May-Oct 3% the rest of the year, BD has come a Long ways in the last 15 Years.............

As we travel from coast to coast, we run Love's Fuel 99% of the time. Love's lists their biodiesel percentages on their website for each station. Depending on the state and station, Love's carries B5, B10, B15, and B20. I have an auxiliary in-bed fuel tank, so it makes it easy to skip the stations that don't have bio for the stations that do have bio. The Love's in New Mexico has a minimum of B5 at every station. I filled up with B20 at the Love's in Ottawa, KS back in December.

Manny zamora

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Damm!!! all this talk is making me feel really good about my truck right now. Fuel system contamination, at the dealer, over 10 k to repair!!!! Let hop my ins will cover it!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its 50/50% if it's in the policy, Many Insurance Carriers (NOW) Only cover fuel contamination when it's related to vandalism. Just check/read Your policy.

Stormline

Feb 16, 2019
Truck Year
What year and mileage? You probably fell victim to a spun bearing. FCA/Stellantis has been replacing engines under the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. If you're outside of warranty, a new engine can be bought for $7,600 and installed for about $1,800 depending on the dealer/shop.
Where do you get hold of these engines then for that price ? Please leave me a contact thanks address and phones numbers cheers Graeme!

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
That's true. Every EcoDiesel with 350,000+ miles have been tuned. There have been two individuals who claim they went 300,000 on stock tuning.

350,000 Mile Club
VernDiesel - 371,000 miles (engine only)

400,000 Mile Club
VernDiesel - 423,000 miles (engine only)

450,000 Mile Club
James - 452,000 miles (engine only)

We now have a new high mileage EcoDiesel with over 500,000 miles!

YOTuKtb.jpg

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Do you know if they ship to Canada?

I'm not 100% sure. At one point in time, it was free shipping in the USA. You would need to contact them to discuss the details.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is a good engine, however, quality control and design weakness has resulted in an estimated 10% failure rate. Most of the flawed engines seems to fail in the first 70,000 miles or so. Fortunately, the engines are pretty affordable considering they come with a new turbo, new CP4 pump, and new injectors. The highest mileage EcoDiesel that I've seen had 452,000 miles on it before it had cooling issues.

I've done a few things to mine to help with engine and oil cooling. For one, I swapped out the restrictive Big Horn grille for the honeycomb grille. I also added the GDE EPA Tune which allows for the lower temp thermostat. And lastly, I added an aluminum deep oil pan with cooling fins.

gIB0xGz.jpg
Where did you get that honeycomb pan

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
Where did you get that honeycomb pan
The honeycomb is the grille. The deep aluminum finned oil pan is made by AFE. You can get it from several different vendors. Just google EcoDiesel AFE Oil Pan and lots of places will come up.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
The honeycomb is the grille. The deep aluminum finned oil pan is made by AFE. You can get it from several different vendors. Just google EcoDiesel AFE Oil Pan and lots of places will come up.
One more question - does that pan reduce clearance? or in other words would it be the first thing to scrub a rock if off road. I dont take it off road really, but I dont want to worry about that hitting. OH, BTW - the engine failed on 2-12-2022. I am finally getting it back today, $14k later - almost 5 weeks later.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
One more question - does that pan reduce clearance?
The pan doesn't jeopardize clearance. The transmission lines run under the pan just like before. There's low hanging fruit elsewhere on the truck, but the pan isn't among them.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
**Update** if you read my thread, My engine failed at 74k miles - 5.5 years (2016 model - August) Maintained correctly. FCA would not offer any assistance. I called 3x, I sent a letter. Complained to the dealer. no help. Engine and installation is $14k without sales tax. getting a version "E" (I guess the newest that will work) Incident happened on Feb 12-2022. Today I get it back. 5 weeks later. I had to buy another vehicle as that was my only transportation. Got a FORD Expedition (2005) with 5.4 triton engine.. :) Look forward to getting my Longhorn back, although that Ford runs like a champ with high mileage.

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
**Update** if you read my thread, My engine failed at 74k miles - 5.5 years (2016 model - August) Maintained correctly. FCA would not offer any assistance. I called 3x, I sent a letter. Complained to the dealer. no help. Engine and installation is $14k without sales tax. getting a version "E" (I guess the newest that will work) Incident happened on Feb 12-2022. Today I get it back. 5 weeks later. I had to buy another vehicle as that was my only transportation. Got a FORD Expedition (2005) with 5.4 triton engine.. :) Look forward to getting my Longhorn back, although that Ford runs like a champ with high mileage.
and 3 year - 100,00 mile warranty. I could have done it for less, but I wouldn't have had that warranty

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
One more question - does that pan reduce clearance? or in other words would it be the first thing to scrub a rock if off road. I dont take it off road really, but I dont want to worry about that hitting. OH, BTW - the engine failed on 2-12-2022. I am finally getting it back today, $14k later - almost 5 weeks later.
Wow thats a fast turn around! I see others report waiting upto 4 months while they are getting an engine replaced. (Since they are typically failing faster than they are selling replacements lately)

Last edited:

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Wow thats a fast turn around! I see others report waiting upto 4 months while they are getting an engine replaced. (Since they are typically failing faster than they are selling replacements lately)
They told me at first that they had no ETA. Then about 3 weeks later they started to give me delivery dates to the shop. And every time it was pushed out two days or 3 days. And then one day he called and said it shipped from Michigan. They got the engine in on Friday they removed the cab on Friday. An engine was in and installed and delivered to me on Thursday. It was done at the dealer. I just hope it works!