• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine failure 42k

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
I have a little over 42000 miles on my 2015 Eco diesel and believe I lost the motor last week. It has been at the dealer since Wednesday March 23rd and I still have no confirmation of what happened. I think the failure was a main bearing, but since they have to talk with Chrysler every step of the way it sounds like it might be at least 3 to 4 weeks before I get it back. I was in cruse control and started losing power, all gauges were normal. I started smelling oil and hearing a rattle in the motor. Then continued power loss with the oil pressure instantly falling to nothing. I was unable to shut it off because it had to be in park with the push button ignition, so by the time I got to the side of the freeway it was rattling somethings awful. I really liked the truck, but I have serious reservations now. I had to buy another truck so I can work. Sure glad I bought extended warranty, Chrysler is in no hurry. Has anyone heard of engine failures becoming a problem?

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
We have the same problem with our 2015 Eco diesel which has 32 thou kilometers on it. My wife was driving it home from work and the low oil pressure light/chime on the instrument cluster. Had it towed to dealer they said a crank bearing and two con rod bearings were scored. looks like Chrysler in Detroit is trying to put the blame on me because I can't find a oil filter receipt for proof. I had a strong gut feeling about buying this piece of crap but my wife wanted a truck with great fuel economy. FIAT ( Fix It Again Tony)

Robert

Jan 23, 2016
Truck Year
Show them this. Exactly what they tried to do to my daughter and her husband.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We have the same problem with our 2015 Eco diesel which has 32 thou kilometers on it. My wife was driving it home from work and the low oil pressure light/chime on the instrument cluster. Had it towed to dealer they said a crank bearing and two con rod bearings were scored. looks like Chrysler in Detroit is trying to put the blame on me because I can't find a oil filter receipt for proof. I had a strong gut feeling about buying this piece of crap but my wife wanted a truck with great fuel economy. FIAT ( Fix It Again Tony)

I'm assuming you changed the oil yourself?

For maintenance items, I always put my receipts in the glovebox organized for moments like this.

Robert

Jan 23, 2016
Truck Year
That was the argument it only had 7800 miles the truck did not show it needed oil change because you change it 10,000 And that's when dodge said how come you didn't change it at 5000 they were being jerks up till this point then back down

Farmer

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
This engine failure post is getting some attention, this not what I wanted because unfortunately many of you are experiencing the same problem I am. Another up date is the dealer still has not pulled the motor apart to confirm what failed, because they were waiting on oil change recipes from the other dealer so Chrysler would give them direction on how to proceed. After getting the oil change receipts from one dealership to the one working on the motor, I found out Thursday the mechanic who started on it went home sick and would not be back till Monday. I said, put another mechanic on it, but I guess they only have one qualified mechanic!!! Some dealer! I will hit 2 weeks in the shop on this Wednesday and the motor is not even apart! Just a word of caution on these oil changes....make sure you keep receipts and me personally would have a qualified mechanic do them for liability purposes, even though it is a simple change.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
This engine failure post is getting some attention, this not what I wanted because unfortunately many of you are experiencing the same problem I am. Another up date is the dealer still has not pulled the motor apart to confirm what failed, because they were waiting on oil change recipes from the other dealer so Chrysler would give them direction on how to proceed. After getting the oil change receipts from one dealership to the one working on the motor, I found out Thursday the mechanic who started on it went home sick and would not be back till Monday. I said, put another mechanic on it, but I guess they only have one qualified mechanic!!! Some dealer! I will hit 2 weeks in the shop on this Wednesday and the motor is not even apart! Just a word of caution on these oil changes....make sure you keep receipts and me personally would have a qualified mechanic do them for liability purposes, even though it is a simple change.

Muddhogg

Mar 20, 2016
Truck Year
Got my truck back on Saturday. Total of 3 weeks in the shop. Lower engine bearing had blown. Get a claim started with Chrysler that will speed up the process. From the time I contacted them to getting my truck back was a week and a half and the was because they were waiting for parts from Italy. New engine was installed and it went in pretty quickly.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
Chrysler in Windsor has came back and said that we starved the engine of oil. All because we couldn't find one oil filter receipt. Now they are not going to cover it. Yes I purposely starved the engine of oil on a 6 month old 32k kilometer truck just to go through this devestating headache. Please post your stories on my new Facebook page Dodge Ram Defective Ecodiesel page. The word should be spread about Chryslers great customer care department and how they treat a returning loyal customer by kicking them to the curb.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
Get a lawyer. Time for a class action law suit.
I should have went with my gut instinct and got the HEMI just waiting to see if the dealer can do anything hopeing they will buy it back for what it's worth cut my losses and we can buy a hemi from them. All that lawyers do is shuffle papers back and forth and take your money going through that for the last seven years with a family estate dispute.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Man it's awful to hear FICA denies a claim because of a missing receipt.

Also not good there even is a claim. Hate to read about engine failures while so many have over a hundred thousand miles on them already.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
Man it's awful to hear FICA denies a claim because of a missing receipt.

Also not good there even is a claim. Hate to read about engine failures while so many have over a hundred thousand miles on them already.
Update: Owner of the dealership stepped up to the plate and said he will go right to the top if he has to now Chrysler is going to cover it when Chrysler blatently told us that it won't be covered and the case is closed. As soon as it is fixed we are going to trade it in for a HEMI SPORT. Not really saving that much by the time you do your $200.00 oil changes if you do it yourself or the $350.00 the dealer wants here in Canada.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
Update: Owner of the dealership stepped up to the plate and said he will go right to the top if he has to now Chrysler is going to cover it when Chrysler blatently told us that it won't be covered and the case is closed. As soon as it is fixed we are going to trade it in for a HEMI SPORT. Not really saving that much by the time you do your $200.00 oil changes if you do it yourself or the $350.00 the dealer wants here in Canada.
Oh yeah fort to put in the DEF fluid as something else you have to buy.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Oh yeah fort to put in the DEF fluid as something else you have to buy.

True, DEF is another expense. But, @ <$20 per 10k miles, I wouldn't even factor that into a decision whether the EcoD is the right choice or not.

At any rate, glad to hear they are stepping up to make things right. I hope you have much better luck with the gasser.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
If I remember correctly, I believe that there was a run of engines made that either had a bearing or journal installed incorrectly in the bottom of the block, or they had a bad supply of bearings or journals. I think these motors were built in the second half of 2014. To validate this, it would be good if all those affected by this would list their trucks build date so we can truly see if it is an isolated incident that traces back to the same time period.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
If I remember correctly, I believe that there was a run of engines made that either had a bearing or journal installed incorrectly in the bottom of the block, or they had a bad supply of bearings or journals. I think these motors were built in the second half of 2014. To validate this, it would be good if all those affected by this would list their trucks build date so we can truly see if it is an isolated incident that traces back to the same time period.
How does one get the build date? Obviously in the VIN somewhere.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
That's very interesting you should mention the defective bearings or improperly specked or installed. That's what I assumed why would a engine with 32 thousand kilometres/19 and change thousand miles have scored main bearings and two scored con rod bearings.

JimT

May 4, 2016
Truck Year
So I was headed this weekend to trade my 06 Duramax with 290,000 for a Ecodiesel Longhorn. Now I'm not sure. Can anyone show me what the statistics are for these ecodiesels blowing up?