• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine failure 42k

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
So I was headed this weekend to trade my 06 Duramax with 290,000 for a Ecodiesel Longhorn. Now I'm not sure. Can anyone show me what the statistics are for these ecodiesels blowing up?
If the fuel economy was backed by a reliable engine it would be a awesome vehicle.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If the fuel economy was backed by a reliable engine it would be a awesome vehicle.

Wait a minute, 99.9% of the ecodiesel engines produced are reliable. That's my story and I'm sticking with it unless someone can show me definitive proof otherwise.

Mike e

Jun 9, 2016
Truck Year
I have a little over 42000 miles on my 2015 Eco diesel and believe I lost the motor last week. It has been at the dealer since Wednesday March 23rd and I still have no confirmation of what happened. I think the failure was a main bearing, but since they have to talk with Chrysler every step of the way it sounds like it might be at least 3 to 4 weeks before I get it back. I was in cruse control and started losing power, all gauges were normal. I started smelling oil and hearing a rattle in the motor. Then continued power loss with the oil pressure instantly falling to nothing. I was unable to shut it off because it had to be in park with the push button ignition, so by the time I got to the side of the freeway it was rattling somethings awful. I really liked the truck, but I have serious reservations now. I had to buy another truck so I can work. Sure glad I bought extended warranty, Chrysler is in no hurry. Has anyone heard of engine failures becoming a problem?
I have a little over 42000 miles on my 2015 Eco diesel and believe I lost the motor last week. It has been at the dealer since Wednesday March 23rd and I still have no confirmation of what happened. I think the failure was a main bearing, but since they have to talk with Chrysler every step of the way it sounds like it might be at least 3 to 4 weeks before I get it back. I was in cruse control and started losing power, all gauges were normal. I started smelling oil and hearing a rattle in the motor. Then continued power loss with the oil pressure instantly falling to nothing. I was unable to shut it off because it had to be in park with the push button ignition, so by the time I got to the side of the freeway it was rattling somethings awful. I really liked the truck, but I have serious reservations now. I had to buy another truck so I can work. Sure glad I bought extended warranty, Chrysler is in no hurry. Has anyone heard of engine failures becoming a problem?
Mine blew up with 32,000 miles. Rod maybe caused by a broken oil pump. I am not sure as the truck has been under repair for 5 weeks 3000 miles away from my home and communication is not easy. Ram covering costs. I believe the engine was getting noisy a few days prior, but no so bad that I realized there was a problem. Oil light came on. Pulled over immediately , shut down and checked oil and coolant. Both fine. Started again and reved up and oil light went off. Within a mile, temp jumped to 260 and started losing power. Never threw oil out. Love the truck. Not so sure about the engine long term.

yx9229ic

Jan 19, 2016
Truck Year

My engine blew at 29,000; I personally asked the mechanic (a friend of mine) that was replacing my engine to see the DPF, the intake, etc; so I went in the shop and looked. These engines were not designed for the SCR system, so I had concerns that the emissions system is causing the issue. You would not believe how dirty the air intake, black carbon like material all over. The motor is literally being poisoned. I had my nephew who is a great diesel mechanic with me; he recommended that as soon the warranty is done, get the emission system delete. It may actually save the engine, if it doesn't blow before that. The trucking industry has had some of the same issues, my 2011 Peterbilt 386 had nothing but issues until I did the delete.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
My engine blew at 29,000; I personally asked the mechanic (a friend of mine) that was replacing my engine to see the DPF, the intake, etc; so I went in the shop and looked. These engines were not designed for the SCR system, so I had concerns that the emissions system is causing the issue. You would not believe how dirty the air intake, black carbon like material all over. The motor is literally being poisoned. I had my nephew who is a great diesel mechanic with me; he recommended that as soon the warranty is done, get the emission system delete. It may actually save the engine, if it doesn't blow before that. The trucking industry has had some of the same issues, my 2011 Peterbilt 386 had nothing but issues until I did the delete.

We had a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel well basically I paid for it and my wife drove it to work everyday. On her way home one day going up hill ( not a mountain ) she said the oil pressure light was going on and off told her to pull over and turn off the engine. Had it towed to the dealer it was in there for 6 weeks Chrysler was not going to replace the engine they said it was our fault probably because I couldn't find one oil filter receipt to prove the oil changes were done. Anyways supposivly the main crank bearings and two con rod bearings were scored. The owner of the dealership pulled a rabbit out of his arse and got Chrysler to replace the engine. The engine had 32 thousand kilometres on it. Once it was all fixed we traded it in and bought a hemi sport. The only diesel I would ever buy again would be a CUMMINS as we had a 07 Ram 2500 never had a issue with the engine. Mind you the fuel economy on the Eco diesel was unbelievable $60.00 to fill the tank and got 1100 kilometres to the tank.

Bryan

Jun 15, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel 4x4 that I really like. However, it's been in the dealership for 3 weeks. At about 28k miles it suddenly got loud like a regular diesel and the power "off the line" faded a bit. I took it to the dealership within a few days of the noise and it's been there ever since. They replaced the HPFP and the noise persisted. Chrysler corporate (STAR? Program) got involved and I've been told there's a bigger problem. Sounds like the exhaust camshaft gear slippage I've read about.

Dealer contacted me this Friday (June 17) and said the GC was still down. He said they are going to follow corporate STAR advice and install new timing chain tensioners and see if this helps with the noise. (Really? They've already replaced the HPFP and evidently the HPFP drive system) Even the service manager doesn't think this will help. Service manager suggested I call Chrysler corporate and file a claim. According to SM, going into the fourth week without progress on the engine is a big problem. I received a case number from Chrysler corporate and they will be back with me on Monday.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel 4x4 that I really like. However, it's been in the dealership for 3 weeks. At about 28k miles it suddenly got loud like a regular diesel and the power "off the line" faded a bit. I took it to the dealership within a few days of the noise and it's been there ever since. They replaced the HPFP and the noise persisted. Chrysler corporate (STAR? Program) got involved and I've been told there's a bigger problem. Sounds like the exhaust camshaft gear slippage I've read about.

Dealer contacted me this Friday (June 17) and said the GC was still down. He said they are going to follow corporate STAR advice and install new timing chain tensioners and see if this helps with the noise. (Really? They've already replaced the HPFP and evidently the HPFP drive system) Even the service manager doesn't think this will help. Service manager suggested I call Chrysler corporate and file a claim. According to SM, going into the fourth week without progress on the engine is a big problem. I received a case number from Chrysler corporate and they will be back with me on Monday.
I've heard that the camshaft sprockets were pressed on the 2014 engines but had thought they recalled the engines.

Donald Hull

Jun 20, 2016
Truck Year
If I remember correctly, I believe that there was a run of engines made that either had a bearing or journal installed incorrectly in the bottom of the block, or they had a bad supply of bearings or journals. I think these motors were built in the second half of 2014. To validate this, it would be good if all those affected by this would list their trucks build date so we can truly see if it is an isolated incident that traces back to the same time period.

Looking back on this post it appears the majority of the "bad motors" are 2015 trucks. ( looking on the profile if it was stated ) There may be something to this .

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Looking back on this post it appears the majority of the "bad motors" are 2015 trucks. ( looking on the profile if it was stated ) There may be something to this .

Good observation. A person would think it would be the earlier model trucks (2014) since it was the first year.

41Blownwillyscoupe

Mar 16, 2016
Truck Year
I know the 2014's had a problem with timing chain camshaft sprockets coming loose because it was pressed on. As for the main and rod bearings not being installed properly that would explain why the bearings were scored on our 2015 ram ecodiesel.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Nope. Enjoy your new truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JGC_Summit_ED

Oct 17, 2018
Truck Year

HAHA! Ironic.... My name is Bryan and I have a 2014 JGC Summit with the ED . and having issues with the ETC / Exhaust Filter randomly "100% full".

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
HAHA! Ironic.... My name is Bryan and I have a 2014 JGC Summit with the ED . and having issues with the ETC / Exhaust Filter randomly "100% full".

Is it out of warranty? If it is, it will take someone with in-depth knowledge to overcome this problem without sucking up your wallet.